Tiger boxer 250, Thailand

Discussion in 'Asia' started by buick driver, Jun 5, 2009.

1. buick driver

buick driver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I`ll be heading back to Thailand soon to live and would like to pick up a new bike. The Tiger Boxer 250cc is now available and it seems like a good choice to me. Does anyone have any experience with them?
    I`ve thought of the Kawi KLX 250 or their 650 twin also, but I sort of like the Tiger lower tech approach.
  2. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    It depends on what kind of riding you do. The 650 would be a bear in traffic but very good for exploring the rest of the country. The 250 is the police bike of choice in Bangkok but running a small motor at high revs for long periods of time (long distance touring) is a bad idea.
  3. FalangADVenturer

FalangADVenturer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just been to Kawasaki in Surat Thani yesterday and they've got 3 models which are all worthy bikes, depending on what riding you want to do: D-Tracker 250, KLX 250 and the ER6n (650). I'm guessing that this guy I spoke to was the owner, as he seemed to know what models are possibly coming. He said that the Versys may be coming toward the end of this year, along with the ER6f (with ABS).

This is a pretty useful website to check on prices of most motorcycle models in Thailand: [http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Kawasaki_Motorcycle_Price_List]
  4. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Here she is- the 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ABS!
    [​IMG]

Confirmed price- 257,000 Thai Baht!
    [​IMG]

Khun Chan wasn't working today and the other guys didn't seem to know much of anything about the bike but they said they will start delivering them this month!

The showroom model is wearing Bridgestone Battlax BT021's-
    [​IMG]

The sales guys couldn't tell me definitively if the new Ninja 650R's will be wearing Bridgestones... I'm not a big fan of the Dunlop Roadsmarts that came with the ER6n so I'm hoping for the Battlax's on the new Ninja.

[​IMG]

The Ninja 650R that's been sold in North America has never had ABS, but perhaps for 2010 ABS will be an option worldwide.

Cockpit looks unchanged from the '09-
    [​IMG]

Notice the painted lower fairing-
    [​IMG]

I noticed that the 2010 Ninja 650R has an idle adjust screw. Don't have that on my 09 ER6n...
    [​IMG]

The powdercoated grab bars and matching tail piece are new for the 2010 Ninja 650R-
    [​IMG]

The Kwackerzaki guys seem to think I'll be able to get my bike in a couple of weeks!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let the Good Times Roll!!!

Tony
  5. buick driver

buick driver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank`s for the reply's. I`ll check those bikes out. I`ll be back in Thailand on Sept.29. My wife and I went from Trat to Nong Khai on a 135cc Yamaha earlier this year. About 1300 km one way. Via Surin, Mukdahan, Udon Thani then up to Nong Khai. It was a tight fit on the bike.
    I sort of thought the Boxer 250 might be a little more suitable. We road mostly secondary or dirt roads.
    The KLR 650 would be ideal, I guess you can`t have everything.
    Do you think the KLX 250 would be a good compromise for 2 up touring? The seat is deadly, I know.
    By the way the Garmin map of Thailand is great. I plotted a route every night in the hotel. I just picked all the small roads, minimal traffic and great scenery that way.
  6. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    That Ninja looks sweet. Have you looked at the Triumph Daytona 675? Oh man .. .I REALLY want one of those :tb

Buick,

Have you checked out a used XT-225 ( think they call them Serrow's over here). I had one for my last bike and it was slow, short, light, easy to fix, lots of aftermarket support and I think you can pick one up here pretty easily (I've seen a few around). However for 2-Up.. more power more better. My 650 gets 60+ MPG in town but that drops when the road opens up. Can you bring one over with you?

Also thanks for the info on the Garmin Maps. After this weekends adventure I placed an order for one.
  7. buick driver

buick driver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and the link. That`s interesting about the Versys.
  8. TonyBKK

TonyBKK Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer:
    Go take a KLX250 for a free test drive at Kawasaki Rama 9 in Bangkok- it's a great dirt bike but incredibly underpowered for a 250cc... I think touring two up would be pretty frustrating, unless you like going really slow...

My choice for 2-up touring in Thailand would have to be a 650cc ER6n or Ninja 650R. Both are available for long term rentals in Pattaya and Chiang Mai for about 800 Baht/day.

Ride On!
  9. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth.. I used to ride an XT-225. Fun bike in the twisty rough stuff but WAYYY under powered. Did not even think about doing two up on it. Now I have the DR 650 and it can do 70 - 75 MPH with me, the wife + our weekend gear all day no problem. The bike also gets over 55 MPG. :thumb. but if I dont do something about the seat soon.. it could get ugly.