Tiger Explorer Shift Lever Options

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by trihawk, May 2, 2017.

1. trihawk

trihawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Due to some rider error I had a get off at the Tiger Ride In over the weekend. I have Heed Upper bars only and it survived with really little damage. The most damage was the bent shift lever. I have only found a few options for the Tiger Explorer. The SW lever is sweet, but out of stock and over $150 most places. I found a $30 option on amazon, reviewers say it fits the Explorer. I am worried about it being steel. If the stock lever wasn't just bendy aluminum the mounting shaft would have received a ton of that energy and damage.

IMS 317317 Flightline Folding Shift Lever http://a.co/7FYScNJ

I plan on installing a real sump guard, and SWMotech hand guards. Lower engine guards for sure too. If that was hard pavement the left engine casing would have received more damage. But for now the immediate need is the shift lever. We bent back the lever and its usable, but I don't like it sticking out like that.

Embarassing Video...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$150 lever?
    [​IMG]
  2. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    I use a woodcraft folding tip (revzilla) and modded my stocker. Was around 25 bucks plus my labor.
  3. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I can't help with the lever but wanted to say good to see minimal damage to you and the bike.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    1995 YZ125 shift lever.

IMG_20170502_160952514_HDR.jpg
    Black Rhino, Lushtrucker and trihawk like this.
  5. bumpedmyhead

bumpedmyhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear HEED held up, I just put them on my TEX. I went with the SW Mo shift lever, with the extension. Not many choices... 20170502_192241.jpg 20170502_192337.jpg
    trihawk likes this.
  6. Lushtrucker

Lushtrucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go with the Yamaha part, bet that cost less than any other option, and readily available at countless dealers in every state.
    Black Rhino and larryboy like this.
  7. rockitcity

rockitcity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you want to try it, but my Explorer had a lightly bent shift lever when I bought it. Not as severe as yours, but still sticking out farther than I preferred. I was able to remove it, clamp the shaft end in a vise, and bend it back into shape. I was concerned that it might break, but seems to have straightened out just fine. Of course, you might want to have a replacement on hand in case yours does break when you bend it. One thing I did replace was the stub shaft that connects to the shift linkage. Mine was actually bent from whatever impact the bike had sustained before me. That was a $25 part, but the shifter works like new now.
  8. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Woodcraft. Works great.
  9. Lushtrucker

Lushtrucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He would still need to replace his bent shifter, and then modify it to use the Woodcraft.

The Woodcraft is the way to go before you damage the stock part.
  10. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, but the shifter is not a hardened steel, so he may be able to straighten it. I bought a used shifter and linkage rod off of ebay and modified that when I did my woodcraft.
  11. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    The Explorer shifter is a lot different than an 800 shifter. If he had been on an 800, we could have straightened it on the side of the road pretty easily.
  12. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, Problem I am having at the moment is that work blocks all pictures, so I can't see what it looks like. I'll bow out.....