TigerLilly's 3R plan - Old and Dilapidated

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by TigerLilly, Aug 6, 2017.

1. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Remodel
    Relocate
    Retire

Well, @CamoGreg s retirement plan thread has inspired me to share my ambitious plan as well. And it's anything but shiny and new...:photog

While Greg is planning to live mobile, I am planning my home base. I spent big chunks of the past ten years rving from Mexico to Canada and loved every minute of it. I even seriously considered going full time for a while. But in the end I realized I wanted a home base. I like my garages and tools too much to give that up. After travelling for months it always feels good to get home. I have enough health issues that it becomes important to have a home base as I get older.

I currently live in Santa Fe. But the cost of living, housing, and too much winter means I don't want to stay there long term. So...where to go? I ended up buying a 30 year old single wide in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.
    image.jpeg
    It has two garages and a carport ( boatport...more on that later). It's right across the street from the Rio Grande, beautiful neighborhood, and two miles from the biggest lake in New Mexico. It's half a mile from downtown restaurants, brew pub, and most importantly, HOT SPRINGS!

It was also built in an era where dark brown wood panelling was all the rage...
    image.jpeg
    It's been smoked in, the roof leaks, there are a few rotten spots in the floors, blah, blah, blah. But I got it basically for the price of the lot and I need a project. I've never done a home remodel before so every step is a learning curve. Thank god for youTube.

Absolutely everything needs work so I figured I would start on one end and work my way to the other. So I started with the master bedroom. It had a wall of drawers under the bay windows which had to go (I forgot to take a before pic)and some 30 year old unspeakably gross carpet. This took me most of a day...
    image.jpeg
    When they build these things they lay the rug down first and put the walls on top of it. I really learned to appreciate my DeWalt oscillating saw!

Next it was off to the master bath. There was a really spongy spot behind the toilet so I pulled all the flooring off (I'm going to replace it with laminate anyway)...what a mess!
    image.jpeg
    Water is death to mobile homes...I'll be replacing quite a bit of subfloor. There was a plastic garden tub in there as well so out it came. A walk in shower will go in this space.

More pics on next post...they only let me load four...:dirtdog
    Benduro, durtwurm, Bartimus and 8 others like this.
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Where the toilet is sitting
    is where the shower will go...
    image.jpeg

It really is amazing how few tools you need to disassemble the inside of a mobile home...
    image.jpeg
    The most useful one of all...that scraper.

So the next step will be removing the rest of the bathroom flooring and then pulling up and replacing the rotten sub floor pieces.

The only furniture I have in here right now is a chair and a bed. I told myself I won't move anything in here until I get it fixed up. Then I will sell my house in Santa Fe and retire here.

If you buy a retirement place beside the biggest lake in New Mexico you have to have a boat...especially if you have a boat port. So I bought an old 18' deep V hull with a Mercruiser 170 in it. I took it out on the lake last week and it promptly overheated. Got towed back to the dock by a very nice couple in a pontoon boat. So tomorrow I take a break from ripping up floors to fix the boat. I want to try and maintain a balance between working on the reno and enjoying my new community. It will take me longer to complete the project but I'll build a life while I'm doing it.

I'll report back tomorrow on how the boat fix went. Thanks for following along. I thought it would be a good idea to keep a record of this project. Someone may benefit from it and I'm sure there will be a few laughs along the way!
    image.jpeg
  3. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Great Project
    Good Luck!!!
    TigerLilly likes this.
  4. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    In.
    TigerLilly likes this.
  5. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :freaky

:lurk

ETA: Did you see FatChance's recommendations on roofing repair materials in Greg's thread?
    TigerLilly likes this.
  6. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    I am going to have nightmares now...

:lol3

What are these 'tools' you speak of?

:D

Oh, and IN!

:gerg
    Hannda and TigerLilly like this.
  7. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3 :jack :clap :imaposer
  8. Valker

Valker Long timer

Oddometer:
    In also. Thanks.
    TigerLilly likes this.
  9. TexasRT

TexasRT Dual Sport RT

Oddometer:
    In also. This should be fun.
    TigerLilly likes this.
  10. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    good luck with the boat :nod
  11. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
    You may have heard it said that you can't polish a turd.......

......but you can roll it in glitter.

Sweet digs. Affordability is attractive.

Happy to help with any plumbing questions.
  12. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    The boat's the easy part. I think it's just a thermostat but I'll pull the heat exchanger apart while I've got most of the antifreeze out. Just in case there is an obstruction.

It's basically an old Ford four cylinder four stroke. I can work on that! And it's very accessible which is part of the reason I bought it.
    Bartimus likes this.
  13. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    I do have a plumbing question but I have to wait until daylight so I can get a good picture to go with the question.
  14. ShadyRascal

Oddometer:
    'Zat a pushrod motor in the boat or an ohc?
  15. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Yes I did. I've used all those products he talks about on rubber RV roofs. They are excellent. This thing has a steel roof that's starting to corrode at some of the seams and edges. I will either put a metal roof over it which would require some framing or a membrane roof.

I've got a guy coming over tomorrow to figure out the options. That is one job that is too big to do myself so I'll hire someone for it. I want to stay here for a long time so I need to do more than just patch it.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  16. CamoGreg

CamoGreg aka Camorpheus

Oddometer:
    I see what you did here.
    :thumb

Where's the visitor's RV pad to be located? :D
    :
    TigerLilly likes this.
  17. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Most Mercruisers are GM engines but the 170 is a 3.7 liter Ford. It's actually half of a 460 V8. It has a GM engine mount bolt pattern so it can be exchanged with other Mercruiser engines.

And yes it's a pushrod...kinda like a Harley. I hope it survived the overheating OK.
  18. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Lot's of room in the yard to park a big fifth wheel if you find yourself in New Mexico. No homeowner's association here...:freaky

The guy I bought the place from sold it because he bought a big fifth wheel and wanted to go wander before he got too old. He's almost 70. He's still parked at an RV park here in town.

I actually think he sold it because he didn't want to put the money and effort in to fix the place. He wasn't all that handy...or clean. :bluduh
    Zeekster and CamoGreg like this.
  19. Hondo

Hondo What if it's a Samsquanch?

Oddometer:
    In!
  20. ShadyRascal

Oddometer:
    Interesting, first I've heard of that. If it's half of a 460 it'll make good power with some tweaking. Built one for my Fairlane once, made huge power.
    Zeekster likes this.