TigerLilly's 3R plan - Old and Dilapidated

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by TigerLilly, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    You're lucky. As long as the "foundation" is good everything else can be fixed.
  2. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    Oh shit you just quoted "The Money Pit."
  3. CrashBar

CrashBar Just Wanna Ride

Oddometer:

Make sure the impeller is putting out raw water first thing, if you haven't already. After start up that is the first thing I check before leaving the dock.
    spokester likes this.
  4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    I think this one is worth saving. The walls are all 2x4 on 16" centers. Even the interiors. Floors are 2x6 joists on 24" centers with 3/4" subfloor. Roof is 2x2 on 16" centers. It's built for cold climates and is well insulated. No evidence of rodent infestation. A little bit of subfloor rot in the usual places but no floor joist involvement. Some minor roof leaks because the roof edges are in rough shape and some idiot patched them with tar at least a decade ago.

The thing has only had two owners and was never rented.

I've decided to put a new metal roof on it as well as one of the two attached garages that needs a new roof (old asphalt). So tomorrow I'll go downtown and see if I can talk the building inspector into issuing me a permit. I'm confident this thing is built sturdy enough to handle it. It will be my biggest investment in the place but probably the most important...especially long term.

I found this today inside the door to the electrical panel...cool!
    image.jpeg
    Nixels, Whitey1, DC950 and 4 others like this.
  5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Today was work on the boat day...

I pulled the heat exchanger apart and it looks to be in pretty good shape. No obstructions.
    image.jpeg

Then installed the new thermostat. Hoping these old flanges will be OK with RTV gasket. It was a bitch getting the (very) old gasket material off.
    image.jpeg

Can't fire it up until tomorrow when the gasket material sets up. The fresh water impeller was recently replaced (not by me) but I will definitely check that right off. While checking out some other stuff I found my outdrive doesn't want to trim down :bluduh. It's not an electrical issue and the hydraulic pump is running. Need to find someone to come over and stand on it while I run the pump. Worst case scenario is a trim cylinder rebuild. No big deal on these units. A few o-rings. That's why I love hydraulics. Messy but easy.

image.jpeg
  6. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cooler does look good, fresh water boat? If you need parts for it I have had good luck with
    http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/index.php when working on my Sisu and Shamrock inboards, I have tried to stay clear of I/Os, they don't seem to do so well in salt.

Bruce
  7. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not enough pic to tell, but if the end you pulled off the heat exchanger was not the end closest to the raw water pump, pull the other end. Often times you will find years worth of hard and broken RWP impeller blades there.
  8. SirWrecksAlot

SirWrecksAlot Slowventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice spot if anything! I'm only an hour away, give a shout if you need an extra pair of hands.
    TigerLilly likes this.
  9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Shit! That's an excellent point. I need to pull the other end too. Of course it's now full of fresh glycol...:bluduh
    BullanT likes this.
  10. Hannda

Oddometer:
    :uhoh I'd sister up the floor joists if it were me. Not too worried about the roof, can't imagine there's much snow load down where you are.
  11. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    So I need to pull a permit to get my roof work done. I went down to the building inspector's office this morning during his office hours. "Oh, we're sorry, he's not here. But he will be back at 1:30". So I make a dump run and hit his office at 1:37 pm.

There is a sign posted on the window saying he is out for the day...:baldy

I called him and left a message requesting an appointment tomorrow. Of course no return call. Small towns. Maybe I should take bets on how many trips I'll have to make to his office before I catch up with him...:hmmmmm
  12. manstache

manstache Jed

Oddometer:
    Maybe this is one of those situations where you should ask for forgiveness after the fact than permission beforehand.
    Jarlaxle, Laconic, Duckworth and 7 others like this.
  13. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    The best way to get a meeting with the inspector would be to start work on your roof. He will be there before you can get the words "Stop Work Order" out of your mouth:lol3
  14. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In hindsight, this would be a good time to keep track of how many times you tried to contact him. I always figure that out after something goes bad and I don't have a documented history of my attempts.
    Whitey1 and plumber mike like this.
  15. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ MGHOWWK30

Oddometer:
    If the town is small enough, there's a good chance he could be the Fire Chief and Dog Catcher, too.
    Whitey1, vtwin and TigerLilly like this.
  16. Hannda

Oddometer:
    And someone will know where he lives.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  17. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ MGHOWWK30

Oddometer:

:lol3

:nod
    Hannda likes this.
  18. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Things are looking up...he called me back. I'll go see him tomorrow afternoon.

I drew up a rough spec sheet for him...
    image.jpg
    MaddBrit likes this.
  19. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the end you pulled was on the RWP inlet end, no worries. The debris is too big to pass through. If not, there aint no easier time than now.
  20. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    I guess I've got a 50/50 shot that I was right. I'll trace some hoses in the morning.

Got distracted today getting the huge pile of debris off my patio. Took 500 lbs of gross old carpet, scrap wood and trim bits, and miscellaneous junk the previous owner "forgot" to take with him, to the transfer station. $13 well spent. It should have been about $40 but the girl at the scale just put it down as household garbage instead of construction debris. Yeah! :nod

Tomorrow I add a discharge pump to the new swamp cooler, meet the building inspector, meet with my roofing guy, and hopefully test out the boat repair. This work stuff is cutting into my fun time.

Then it's back to Santa Fe for a few days to pick up some tools and throw a going away bash for a friend. Roof work should start monday. :happay
    Hannda likes this.