TigerLilly's 3R plan - Old and Dilapidated

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by TigerLilly, Aug 6, 2017.

1. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interested in this thread as I am also restoring an old mobile home (1956) . Still need to do more work on the roof and interior repairs / painting . What type of flooring are you going to use ?
  2. rokon140

rokon140 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I completely agree.
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    so....how's the boat ?

:D
    Bigbore4, Uke and villageidiot like this.
  4. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm :hmmmmm
  5. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree totally. My wife and I have been discussing the same thing.

Fortunately, our kids agree. When my son graduates, he and his sister will get an apartment with enough room for Mom and Dad. We will use that as a "home base" until one of them gets married or they get tired of each other.

I work remote, so I can work from anywhere...
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Never considered a MH before but this makes perfect sense for my budget in retirement. It's also fun watching someone else do all the work for a change.:D
    TigerLilly and ER70S-2 like this.
  7. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    My aunt and uncle went with 2 MH's. One in MI(Near family), The other in FL(Near friends). They got rid of a big ass empty house to do it.
    Unfortunately, my Uncle only enjoyed it for a short time before his weak heart got the better of him, but he was having fun with the freedom it gave him and my aunt continues to enjoy it.
    She isn't as handy as TL, but she's an old farm girl so she does all right. The big house would have been a burden for both of them.
    Laconic, BigEasy, MiniBike and 3 others like this.
  8. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Probably do a laminate flooring throughout. It's a pretty good material to use on mobiles because it is somewhat forgiving of less than perfect floors. There are a few brands now that use foam backers and glue for wet areas and are pretty forgiving of spills and a bit of water. Possibly contemplating tile for the main bath as I have to replace a good chunk of the subfloor anyway and it would be easy to put down a layer of cement board.
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    The boat is sitting comfortably under it's carport waiting patiently for me to work on it.

Probably won't do much with it this week as I have 20+ gallons of silicone roofing to apply after some serious prep work. Plus a trip to Home Depot in Las Cruces to pick up the shower and new toilet. I splurged a bit on the toilet. It's kinda fancy.

I've found that it doesn't cost that much extra to go up a notch with stuff like sinks, faucets, and toilets. The difference between really cheap and pretty decent looking stuff is only about $500 for the entire master suite. The two areas where you spend all your decorating money are master bath and kitchen. Both those rooms are very important to me so I will spend a little extra to make them nice. I know...lipstick on a pig. :lol3

Didn't get much work done today. One of my dogs got into some rat poison so we spent a chunk of the afternoon at the vet. Luckily I caught it right away and she will be fine. And the bill was only $100. That's what it costs to make a dog throw up. :puke2
  10. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ MGHOWWK30

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear your puppy's okay, TL. :thumb

*I think you'll like the bathroom faucets you chose. Over the last year or so, I've had three of the "Darcy" version installed. We have extremely hard water, and they've proven to be very easy to keep clean.
    Hannda and TigerLilly like this.
  11. CamoGreg

CamoGreg aka Camorpheus

Oddometer:
    I bet I know which dog. :D
    TigerLilly likes this.
  12. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    That's exactly why I decided to tackle this project...freedom. I don't want to have a huge chunk of money tied up in way more house than I need in a place with a high cost of living. Right now I don't use half the space in my house except to store too much junk that I never use. This mobile is 1100 square feet which is plenty.

Besides...I really bought it for the two garages. :D...and the lake, hotsprings, and endless miles of Jeep roads.

One of the issues with older mobiles is nobody wants to write a mortgage on them. If you want to tackle something like this you better be prepared to pay cash. But the upside is if you know what you are looking at you can get a pretty decent place to live for very little money. I'd rather have play money to travel and do other stuff.

It helps if you are handy. If I had to pay labor on all this work the numbers just wouldn't make sense.
    Jack90210 and =o&o> like this.
  13. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    The young stupid one of course...
  14. CamoGreg

CamoGreg aka Camorpheus

Oddometer:
    Daisy is much too refined for that kind of nonsense. :lol3
    Duckworth and TigerLilly like this.
  15. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 words
    Yellow Mustard.
    It works if you can force it down their gullet. Sooner is better.
  16. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    The vet actually uses a shot of morphine. It took less than five minutes for her to spew forth...:photog
  17. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Had my hired guy start on the roof prep today. First thing is a good pressure wash.
    image.jpeg

Meanwhile I was inside ripping up the ceiling...
    image.jpeg

I think I had the nastier of the two jobs :1drink
    image.jpeg

There is abundant evidence that there has been some leakage around the swamp cooler for some time. I wanted to see what the extent of the damage was before we seal the roof. It's easier to do that from inside plus the panelling needs to be replaced anyway in that spot. The good news is all the wood and trusses seem to be in pretty good shape. But it looks like I have two spots where the truss hangers are rusted out. Shouldn't be too hard to fix...
    image.jpeg

The plenum for the swamp cooler is pretty rusted out as well so I think I'll replace it since we have to lift the swamp cooler off anyway to properly seal around it. Probably get the local sheet metal shop to fab it up.

I am pleasantly surprised as I tear open the problem spots and find what amounts to fairly minimal damage. Luckily New Mexico is a very dry climate for the most part.

Tomorrow more roof prep and I'll probably goof off all afternoon as some good friends from Texas are flying in (their own plane...just a tiny airport here) for the day.
    DC950, CamoGreg, Hannda and 1 other person like this.
  18. bcbullet

bcbullet From eh to zed

Oddometer:
    I know this may be anathema to the collective here, but I too have done the "old mobile home" thing as well. Here is my advice....seal the envelope...roof, exterior walls, etc. and don't start digging too deeply into structure etc. I know it sounds wrong, but don't be afraid to cover up the occcasional rotten piece of what-have-you as long as it is dry. Put some new subfloor over the soft spots and call it a day. This trailer will probably last you a decade or three in any event. There is no point in spending a gazillion dollars on it to have it worth marginally more than as it sits. Pretty it up, throw some new windows and flooring in and call it a day. My $.02 but make it livable and how you like it, but don't chase the impossible.
    And fuck all the naysayers that may look down their noses at you from their McMansions while wallowing in so much debt that can barely breathe. They will suffer for years chasing "equity" so that they may one day sell out and live their golden years in....you guessed it, a mobile home. :beer
    MikeyT, BigEasy, Tmaximusv and 3 others like this.
  19. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm with you 100%. there are a few areas that need some structural backfilling...like that spot on the roof where the swamp cooler mounts, and part of the bathroom subfloor. Otherwise this place is pretty sound and the climate is very dry. Silicone is my friend. :thumb

The original windows are very sound. And it's got storm windows. I'm going to clean them up and keep them. I'm impressed with how much insulation I'm finding in the roof and walls.
    Hannda, Valker and bcbullet like this.
  20. newhoco

newhoco stromnambulator

Oddometer:
    Please excuse my ignorance ... What is a swamp cooler ?