TigerLilly's 3R plan - Old and Dilapidated

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by TigerLilly, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    :nod
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  2. MrBob

MrBob Curiouser and curiouser

Oddometer:
    My Tripadvisor review of Helen’s was pretty negative. Five minutes away is the Bean Broker coffee shop with excellent coffee, home made bakery goods, and generally excellent food and service. Say hi to the owner, Andie. A few doors to the west is Rick’s Used Cars and in his back room is a wonderful collection of vintage bikes. He was working on a 66 Honda Superhawk when I visited.
    As an archaeology major at the U of MN the fur trade was my specialty. I’ve toured the Chadron fur trade museum three times, so far. It’s the best one I’ve seen on the subject and I’ve seen many.
    So much history in that area - heading West on hwy 20 keep an eye out for a small sign pointing toward a spot where an important treaty gathering took place and if you continue on to Lusk you’ll find to a pretty good stagecoach museum.
    When I left this time I went down #2 and to Sterling to catch the freeway but stopped at the Bistro in Sterling, as I have several times previously, for consistently excellent meals.
    Hannda, Tmaximusv, MaddBrit and 3 others like this.
  3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Home safe and sound. The dogs are overjoyed. Luckily the rain followed me home. Finally.

Now I have to switch gears and install the new swamp cooler motor tomorrow and get some range time in before my PRS competition in three weeks. Never a dull moment!

It seems a new set of hillbilly trash neighbors have moved in across the alley. There is an old falling down crap house back there that seems to change occupants quite frequently. Most likely section 8 housing. I don’t care what sort of socioeconomic background folks have but when they choose to parent by screaming obscenities at their ten year old kids...I write them off as trash. :fpalm Feel bad for the kids though...
    CodeMonkee, Zeekster, MKorn and 10 others like this.
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Welcome back home, I rode through some of that weather yesterday afternoon in the panhandle, stopped in Dumas.
    A little more electricity than I like to ride in...but the rain felt good
    TigerLilly likes this.
  5. Hannda

Oddometer:
    You have shit neighbors and need target practice. Coincidence? I'm not saying you need to harm anyone, some folks can learn from a good frightening.
    TigerLilly and MrBob like this.
  6. 03rubicon

03rubicon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to move.
  7. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Hardly. I just moved here. The neighbors on both sides and accross the street are awesome.

However, a nice high fence may be in order.

This town is a relatively poor place as is a lot of rural New Mexico. It attracts a lot of retirees and verterans. Good people with low incomes. However, with that also comes bad people with little or no income. Meth, heroine, opiate addiction, alcoholism, and teen pregnancy are all issues in places where living is cheap and good jobs scarce. I have to accept the good with the bad as I lack the economic resources to shield myself in gated communities with security patrols. I’ve lived like that in the past and actually prefer where I am now. It is just socioeconomic reality. It can still be quite an eye opener some days though...particularly with regard to how some people treat their kids and dogs.
  8. Hannda

Oddometer:
    New Neighbor: what's that paper you left on my front porch?
    TK: that's the target I shot this morning . . . from over a mile away. Next time I'll bring you one from 50 yards . . . that's about the distance between our houses isn't it?
    NN: you don't scare me.
    TL: oh, and I like it quiet in the neighborhood. Please remember that.

I like that in my mind, but we all know it'd only escalate their behavior. :(: You just can't fix stupid.
    Zeekster, ER70S-2 and JimVonBaden like this.
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    One can forgive / ignore a lot, but not abusing kids or dogs!

We only ever had one nasty neighbor. He was 60% of my back fence, so our houses were pretty far away, at least 200’.

A nasty neighbor does not make for a healthy environment. Fortunately, we have parted ways, geographically.
    Hannda likes this.
  10. Husky Varmit

Husky Varmit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we all know that you will be.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
  11. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    I overheard the new trash neighbor kid who is all of about eight years old, address the little girl he was playing with as “You fucking bitch” this afternoon. Mom was right there lounging in her lawn chair smoking a cigarette...not a word. :fpalm

I overheard him because I was out in the alley shutting off my water at the meter. :becca Seems the CPVC fitting on the wash machine valve had cracked. I noticed something was up because the washer was leaning away from the dryer. :scratch. They used to be parallel to each other. It’s been leaking long enough that the floor under the washer got soft enough to sag a little. :twitch It’s going to be replaced anyway as it’s been previously water damaged but damn.

The main shut off valve to the house leaks so I have to shut the water off at the meter whenever I need to work on some plumbing. This is getting old. So I ordered enough parts to replace that whole section of plumbing with pex and a new valve. The idiot who installed the shut off valve (local plumbing co) did it in such a way that the only option for removing the old valve is with a hacksaw. Seriously!!?

It’s always something. I’ve been fixing shit since I got home. The new swamp cooler motor is working great though. Quieter than the old one. Too bad the humidity is at %70+. Swamp coolers are not very effective past about %50. Tomorrow I’ll go down and argue with the plumbing company about a warranty replacement. Glad we finally got some rain!

I came up with a wild new idea for my bathroom vanity. Makes much better use of the space but of course it will be more work and I’ll have to build some lower cabinets as I’d rip out the old vanity. Plus I’d get to have a new countertop. I need to figure out if I can move a bunch of plumbing though. :hmmmmm
    KansasKawboy likes this.
  12. Hannda

Oddometer:
    :(: I fear that there's no hope for that kid, parents have likely already ruined him.:baldy

What's that old saw? "They make you get a license for a dog but anyone can have a kid?"
  13. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget the pan for the washer to catch minor leaks. I can’t yet speak to the longevity of Shark plumbing fittings but they have made my work life much easier. An oscillating cutter make cutting pipe in close quarters almost easy.
    If you think a child is being abused it’sperfectly acceptable, if not obligatory, to call Child Protective Services and describe your concerns and ask if they think it’s abuse. Maybe there is already a history that they’ve been tracking.
    Zeekster and Hannda like this.
  14. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    I’m going to replace the old (and getting brittle) CPVC with pex and I’ll replace the current valves that require a leak prone washer at the bottom of the threads, with valves that clamp directly to pex tubing. No threads to leak. Yes, the oscillating tool is a godsend.

All I’ve seen, or rather heard, so far is yelling. I’ve heard the mother and what appears to be an older sister yelling obscenities at the boy, the dog, and whoever else is in earshot, but I’ve never seen anyone being hit. He looks reasonably well fed and clothed. The mother and sister are extremely well fed. I don’t know if any of this would be considered abuse at the level CPS would get involved but I am certainly keeping my eyes and ears open. Things are definitely not right over there...

That house has a history of problematic tenants. I think it’s one of those places where the landlord just doesn’t care and will literally rent to anyone who qualifies for section 8 housing assistance. The three tenants I’ve seen since I lived here were all younger single mothers with kids and scummy looking boyfriends that would come and go. One was taken away by the cops one night. None of the women or boyfriends ever appear to work.
  15. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    It doesn't speak much to the sort of longevity that most of us look for in stuff like plumbing, but (FWIW), I added clean-out taps to the plumbing for my tankless water heater using Sharkbites on copper piping about 10-12 years ago, and they've been fine. I also have some Sharkbites in use with PEX in my dark room plumbing, and they are fine too, those connections are more like 5-ish years old though.
  16. Hannda

Oddometer:
    MUCH better than what I had in mind. :thumb:thumb
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  17. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Well, that was a polite way of phrasing it. :rofl

Talk to all the good, long term stable neighbors. Jointly buy the place and only rent to people you'd want for joint neighbors.
    ER70S-2, Zeekster and Tmaximusv like this.
  18. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I’m sure you know that verbal abuse can be as much or more damaging than hitting, and creating an atmosphere of fear is also abusive.
    Zeekster, Tmaximusv and Hannda like this.
  19. TigerLilly

TigerLilly WGTOWWD/G

Oddometer:
    Yeah, unfortunately I know it all too well from my own childhood. It breaks my heart to hear these people yelling at each other like this. The kid does not appear fearful but rather seems to deal with it by being kind of an obnoxious bully. I see a criminal record in his future.

It’s such a contrast to the neighbors next door. The mom and the two younger boys came over to welcome me home today. They brought me some eggs from their chickens and zucchini from their garden. The youngest one is a bug nut and showed me a bucket of tomato horn worms he’d plucked off the plants in the garden. He was so excited. He absolutely hates killing anything but realized the best thing to do with the worms was to feed them to the chickens. He likes tomatoes. :D He’s been out in the garden all afternoon scouting for more. I kinda got all choked up when they said they’d missed me. :2cry
    Whitey1, CodeMonkee, MikeyT and 13 others like this.
  20. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I know more about abuse than I want to know - growing up in the projects was pretty rough.
    During my years of working as a nurse I was able to spare at least a few kids a similar experience.
    Your other neighbors sound like a gift.
    Zeekster and Hannda like this.