Tightarse 2 up touring. Stockton Beach OZ.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Turborob, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Turborob

Turborob .

Oddometer:
    A bit of an oldie.

On the 14/1/09 Kath and myself went on a little TW adventure. Being short of cash over the Christmas period and unemployed, I opted for a small adventure holiday for Kath instead of an object. Thankfully she’s the type who was pleased about this.

Had $80 planned for her and the same for myself. Camping would be the only option!
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
    Packed and stacked and ready to go!
    <O:p></O:p>
    [​IMG]<O:p></O:p>
    At this stage we were in Sydney and were riding to Anna Bay. Interestingly, as we pulled into the lookout near Wisemans Ferry and there was a large YAMAHA sign spread across the lookout barriers. Apparently the motorcycle journo&#8217;s were testing the new Yamaha Diversion 600 and were to arrive shortly there to a barrage of drinks and snacks. Perhaps the fact we were on a Yamaha and/or hot (reached around 35degrees) they gave us Gatorades which was nice.
    View from the lookout
    <O:p>[​IMG]</O:p>
    [​IMG]<O:p></O:p>
    There were interesting signs there too.
    Don&#8217;t drown in the water when it&#8217;s raining?
    [​IMG]
    Seats get hot in the sun? Is that what they&#8217;re warning me about?
    [​IMG]
    You can fall on your side walking up the stairs?
    Slippery snakes?
    [​IMG]
    It is possible that a branch can fall on my head?
    [​IMG]
    Anyhoo, we were back on the road and on to the punt. Tin-top&#8217;s aren&#8217;t allowed out of their vehicle, but we&#8217;re OK.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    By now it was really hot, and two up on TW, with a tank bag we were squished together which slowly cooked my back and Kath&#8217;s front. I got slack and took off my jacket. By now it was all dirt and we soon rounded a corner and saw this fella.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ran up the tree like a cat, must have been at least 3 foot long.
    We were on a deserted little road with plently of greenery which was pleasing.
    [​IMG]
    Surface was mixed, with good solid dirt assorted amid gravel, potholes and some corrugations. On a latter stretch we saw this not so lucky traveller.
    [​IMG]
    After finishing the dirt (about 60k) stretch I purchased an amusing looking snack in Cessnock (sorry ladies and Kath I just had to put it in).
    [[​IMG]
    Stopped at Kurri Kurri for a beer at the pub and an unreal pie from &#8216;Ridgey Didge pies&#8217;,
    [​IMG]
    Was time to put on the air conditioning. The bike was some kind of hot and was pinging under load at moderate throttle inputs.
    [​IMG]
    Got to Anna bay and all 4 of the caravan parks were totally full. Turns out the backpackers has camping which was great. Cars aren&#8217;t allowed near the campsites but bikes are OK. The backpackers had great facilities and a resident kangaroo whom they were rehabilitating.
    [​IMG]
    And a Koala in the tree right above our camp!
    [​IMG]
    Got camp set-up and it was time for a swim! Had only done 315 kilometres that day but it had taken us nearly 8 hours with only fuel and drink stops (and a little time getting lost).
    [​IMG]
    The bike got so hot it melted the panniers and burnt holes in my two pairs of pants. Luckily the holes burns themselves in appropriate places.

[​IMG]
    Slept well and got up early to go ride along the beach. Two up on the beach access track in the deep, rutted sand was simply a wheelspin affair in which Kath had to walk. I was just as tired though pushing the thing through the sand. I never would have guessed the standard tyre would be so useless in the deep sand. I shortly got to the beach front and doubled Kath along the solid shore sand for a few K&#8217;s. Bliss! It was well worth the effort. There&#8217;s certainly something special about riding along the beach (was my first time on two wheels). We found our own spot and relaxed in and out of the water.
    [​IMG]
    Just us along the beach! Looking left and right from our position.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was soon getting ultra hot, so we left the beach. We had aspirations of riding the length of the beach (around 30k) but the tide had risen which made two up riding on the sand difficult as there was only soft white fluffy sand to contend with. Leaving the beach was the same affair as previously, Kath walking, me battling. We went into a neighbouring town for a look-see and a feed.
    In the late arvo we went for another crack at riding along the beach as we were leaving the next day. Difficulties getting to the shore, but once we were there it was wonderful. Around 50m width of solid sand to play on with the beach stretching on around a K or so.
    [​IMG]
    Kath had a go riding along the beach, was the first to ride up to the end and got a shock when we found out it was a noodie beach. She soon turned back and we swapped goes at shenanigans in a controlled area away from exhibitionist men. Got it on video but lack the technological know-how to post it up. Kath&#8217;s been riding on occasion for around a year now and handled the sand really well.

[​IMG]
    A storm was a brewing so we left - Our tent windows were open.
    [​IMG]
    Solo riding back again. Didn&#8217;t need the kick stand!
    [​IMG]
    Rode back to camp and read books with the wildlife. This time it was a possum.
    [​IMG]
    They enjoyed our company so much they decided to keep an eye on us in the shower too.
    (Can't find the photo)
    Woke up the following morning and sadly packed up.
    We had places to be that night so would have to take a more direct route. This meant 110kmph zones. We were lucky to get to 90. Everyone overtook us.
    Saw a town called &#8216;Catho&#8217;s&#8217; and had to stop. Had a beer in the pub and a quick snap shot of Kath infront of Catho&#8217;s.
    (Pic eaten by computer)

From there on went home more or less unevently.
    Spent just over budget, but came in at under $200 bucks.
    For 3 nights away, 500k&#8217;s of scenery, our own beach spot, beach riding, hanging out with friendly wildlife (you could pat the Kangaroo) it was money well spent.
    We had a great time.
    Hope you enjoyed it too. 196cc&#8217;s can do it!
    <O:p>[​IMG]</O:p>

2. Jaqhammar

Jaqhammar Hooligan

Oddometer:
    2 up on the TW?

Man, that's impressive all by itself, and in the heat at that. :D

I would have thought the wide wheels would have been great in soft sand, even the standard ones? Apparently not.

Good onya Rob and Kath!

Cheers: Jaq.
  3. RockerC

RockerC Fuck Piece & Quiet

Oddometer:
    Nice tale - well done ! I guess in referring to "Catho's" you could only be talking about Catherine Hill Bay right. I'll fiind a pic in my files and post it for you - thanks for sharing :clap
  4. southroads

southroads old and tired

Oddometer:
    Good onya guys,

Budget touring , ohh yeah!!

Better than sitting at home!!:clap:clap
  5. Bowes

Bowes Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer:
    Nice, Thanks:thumb
  6. timbo_mac

timbo_mac n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice to see a RR where i can recognise the scenery. the ride along Stocko is a nice one and the Sygna wreck (oil tanker or some thing beached in the 70's-80's) makes for a good pic:smooch , i recommend it if ur up that way again. plus if u get bored there are plenty of big dunes to play on only 200m from the ocean and behind that plenty of single trails where me and my mates have spent plenty of time avoiding ranges on our un-registered 2 strokes.

u gave me a good idea of riding the length of the beach when i ride my bike back from nelson bay (home) to launceston (new home), my first riding trip.

Awesome weekend RR and love the budget travel.

Tim
  7. vOOdsy

vOOdsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kewl pics, seems like Stockton beach has been a training ground for many of adv'ers.

Btw, is the tent for you or the bike??...it's huuuuge :D
  8. NickiGS

NickiGS 09 F650

Oddometer:
    I agree.....you don't have to be rich to have a great weekend away.

You've got the two loves of your life...Your bike and your girl :clap (Not in that order of course...:lol3 :shog )
  9. Cromagnum Man

Cromagnum Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its Good to be the King.

Thanks for the reminder of what its all about.
  10. Mototrans

Mototrans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone uppercut me please.. ! I've forgotten how to keep it simple and enjoy myself.. thanks for the reminder guys..
  11. fooledagain

fooledagain midlife crisis?..bullshit

Oddometer:
    +1, Turbo, you're a bit of a legend in the RR department. Thanks, its nice to see that its all about doing the ride, not about being seen doing the ride :rofl