tilt, linear actuator replacement

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by twintwin, May 9, 2016.

1. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need a new tilt. The original one came with the Dauntless, DMC, kit 10 years ago, it failed after a couple years. Jay provided me another one, same brand, and it failed again, I do not know exactly when. I was away for a couple years, so I did not ride so much the R1100GS rig. I decided yesterday to take it of. I opened le motor cover, and one of the magnet felt ! then I laid it down and water was swiping, opened the mechanism cover and more than one cup a water was trapped. I never did water crossing but I remember 4 years ago having riding in a pouring rain.

So I need another tilt, same measurements, I do not want to change the brackets on the chair.
    Can you recommend one, identical in dimensions and characteristics to the broken one, and waterproof if possible! Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. The temporary fix that was done to my rig prior to acquiring it was to convert the actuator into a manual lean adjustment with the addition of a hand knob at the bottom.

I've done a little looking and there are very few IP67 rated actuators out there which is what you need.
  3. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Didier have you spoken to Jay? Google water resistant linear actuators? Possibly cover the new one with a boot of some type?
  4. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC, Danaher owns the company now. Most of these linear actuators are designed to be used indoors for factory automation, etc., so they're not really designed to live outdoors.
  5. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
  6. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    When we were using these the factory sales person insisted that they were water resistant and running them as we intended would not be an issue. We found this not to be the case, we now use actuators from a company in Canada called progressive automations. Much higher quality product but totally different mounting systems.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  7. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just sent you a PM
  8. twintwin

Oddometer:
    Thanks Melrone for your pm, and offer to send me yours, I may take it.
    If Jay can shim in to let me know if he has upgraded his old tilt actuator with a waterproof unit? I would appreciate.
    There are no specifications, neither part # written on my unit, so it is impossible to know exactly what to look for as a replacement! Apparently Thomson Saginaw do not manufacture any more this unit.
    Thanks all for your answers, and I do believe that a electric tilt is a very useful feature on a rig (when it is working :-), even thinking getting one for my other rig the R1150GSA CMS with EZS L. L.
  9. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Take note that 'water resistant' is not the same as 'water proof' although it is a good sign.
    jawehner1419 likes this.
  10. twintwin

Oddometer:
    OK Claude, you are right, and water resistant should be good enough. The pouring rain was coming back from the Finger lake rally about 4 years ago, and I'm sure Claude you remember those heavy storms :-)
    Got an email answer from Jay, saying that he has no replacement unit in mind, as he does not work any more with Thomson Saginaw, the unit not being reliable enough, and his upgraded tilt use a different brand with a completely different mounting system.
    So, my option are take the offer from Melrone and have his unit mounted (try to make it water resistant). And if it does not work, forget the electric tilt and have Claude fabricate a manual one, with the same measurements for an easy bolt in part without changing the bracket.
  11. brianjonesphoto

Oddometer:
  12. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    LOL.....Yes I remember that ....you left McDonalds and ran into the storm...we stayed and went back to Champion Speedway and waited on them until they finally cancelled then Ron and I had a very interesting run back to good ol' Middleburg after dark. Heck if every ride went just right we would have less stories to tell . So it goes :-)
    Bobmws likes this.
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just how much travel/stroke do you guys need/use on these actuators?
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Trying to reply without making it sound dirty. :imaposer Four inches on both my 1150GSA rig and my 1200GSA rig.
    Bobmws and Strong Bad like this.
  15. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Twintwin my buddy with a Hannigan that Claude mounted with a swaybar on his K1200rs the electric jack seems to make no difference. I've been up down and all over the place with sidecar shocks and springs with the swaybar attached it makes very little difference, if the 1100 doesn't have a swaybar consider it. It's finally spring in MN Trount seasons well under way :-)
  16. brianjonesphoto

Oddometer:
    Drone any idea what the weight rating is on either of your rigs. I assume the 1200 has the new style actuator.
  17. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Brian, with rider, dog, camping gear and a half tank of gas, my old 1150 came in at 1320 lbs. The actuator (the one I PM'ed you about) was THIS ONE from Warner Linear. Load limit of 2200 lbs and it pulls 25 amps.

I haven't weighed the 1200. That's something I should do next time I'm loaded for a trip. It has the Progressive Automation actuator mentioned above.
  18. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    Am I the only dork with an electric trim that hardly ever touches it?
  19. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    A swaybar is somewhat of a self compensating device by nature. Activating an electric tilt device preloads the swaybar in a sense. On some rigs the difference is more than on others.
  20. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    I believe I had a discussion with Claude about that. If you have the actuator set for neutral handling for a load or road crown, then set your swaybar, it will function properly. If you change the actuator the swaybar will put pressure on the drive wheel (or vice-versa), somewhat negating the effect of the actuator change.

^^^^^ Uh, yeah, what Claude said! :eyes :ear