tilt, linear actuator replacement

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by twintwin, May 9, 2016.

1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    We've had this argument before it's circular and never ending !
    I personally have had both now but prefer a sway bar as it's an overload and will help hold the rig up, my rally buddy airheadan has the k1200rs/ Hannigan like yours Bob he has disconnected his bar and tried it and prefers it connected. Strong likes you post and complains about monkey motion the DMC owners of course defend their position.
    If the rig sits done on the ground and is a fairly rigid mount one probably doesn't need a sway bar.
    I drove DRONEs rig a bit at Sturgis is was nice it was undersprung at the time(he uses allot more body english to drive it) mine is way better now then it was when he drove mine, he and I'll have to swap again in CO if possible. It's taken me quite awhile to get exactly what I want but I've changed allot of things along the way. Sidecars in a crosswind are not that much fun.
    The crosswinds don't bother the HP center hub rig much but steering is more removed from the handlebars.
    Hmmm ! Dan hit the enter button first !
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    ANTI-swaybar, ANTI-swaybar, listen and repeat after me ANTI-swaybar! How you guys ever going to figure it out if'n do don't even know what it's called?? For crying out loud! Hahahahahahaha!
    Bobmws likes this.
  3. davebig

Oddometer:
    I wonder if there's a key board short cut for Anti-swaybar ?
  4. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    The main reason we do a swaybar on the adventure bike based outfits is stability. Right handers are not a huge issue and can be dealt with as one gains experience. Left handers however, especially with a high centered rig such as most we are talking of can bite pretty quickly. Flipping the bike over the sidecar does very little for ones fun meter. Been there done that. Hannigan feels the same way with their dual sport sidecar which is part of their package. If one wishes the deactivate the swaybar for really gnarly terrain it is a matter of pulling one or possibly two bolts. Hannigan offers a quick disconnect on theirs as an option.
    As far as having a swaybar with an electric tilt control goes it may of may not be noticed although the tilt adjustor is loading the swaybar.
    We do a lot of hannigans with an electric tilt....in fact we have only sold one that I recall without it. Is it a good thing? Yes. Is it needed with a swaybar? No but we feel the manual system makes things convenient if one goes from a light to a very heavy load. Under day to day running it is not used much as the swaybar itself is somewhat of a self compensation device by it's nature if one understand how it works. Much also depends on shocks etc.
    BTW the worst thing one can do is to put a shck with a ton on spring rate on the rear and minimal rebound dampening on one of these adventure outfits. Have seen it done and it is a disaster waiting to happen..especially with no swaybar. Common sense is not common sometimes. A compressed spring wants to decompress. Rebound dampening controls this..... Nuff said.
  5. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    ANTI--ANTI- ANTI-ANTI=ANTI-ANTI-ANTI X (times) a bunch. Yep the correct term is Antiswaybar as it helps prevent sway. Maybe it should really be called a 'partial antiswaybar' or a 'semi-antiswaybar' or a 'sway compensating device'...or ..or ....
  6. davebig

Oddometer:
    sway compensating device has a nice ring to it ! :lol3
    Bobmws likes this.
  7. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    S C D = Sway Compensation Device = Anti swaybar = SWAYBAR for short.:y0!:lol2:imaposer:1drink:rofl:-):clap:D:jack:photog:lol3
    Bobmws and davebig like this.
  8. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok you've swayed me.
    Bobmws likes this.
  9. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Can anyone imagine a 'watering hole' Called " THE ANTI SWAY BAR" ?
  10. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    But which restroom would you use?! :hide
    davebig and Carl Childers like this.
  11. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Exactly! SWMBO like the smooth ride we got with new shocks all around, and I realize that even in my Walter Mitty fantasies I'm not a particularly aggressive rider. :dunno
    davebig likes this.
  12. airheadDan

airheadDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not an especially aggressive rider either ( this is my first rig ) and if I had not had a swaybar installed when Claude built the rig I would probably have been completely happy. With their low center of gravity a swaybar is not absolutely necessary on rigs like ours,Bob. Claude thinks that the tall ADV rigs should have one, and feels strongly en ought about it that he won't build one without a swaybar. Opinions vary and if anyone is happy with their rig without a swaybar I'm not going to tell them they are wrong. I like my rig and as my monkey is a 41 lb dog she can't complain about the ride.
    Bobmws likes this.
  13. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Non Aggressive riders may still have to make aggressive moves to avoid an incident. :-)
    Bobmws likes this.
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    I already took Dan's rig thru a shallow ditch ! He almost didn't find out, accept the there was allot of weeds hanging on the sway bar when he caught up ! Damn Damn Damn !:fpalm
    Bobmws and DRONE like this.