Tilting at Windmills, A Masked Campaign Around Southeast Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Animal Instinct, Feb 15, 2021.

1. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along. Here's to many more trips with Yeller.:photog
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  2. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    Bravo - fantastic report.
  3. JoToPe

JoToPe JoToPe

Oddometer:
    Trusty steed Yeller should get special recognition for taking you there and back. There is something about traveling on a thumper that is magical. They just do what they need to do without any complaint, aren’t finicky, and in their own way, are a beautiful piece of machinery. Thanks for taking us along on your journey with Yeller.
  4. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done. Nice adventure.
    Animal Instinct and Railrocker like this.
  5. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Last of the Late Brakers.

Oddometer:
    Sharing the pillion with the others has been a bit cramped but nevertheless, a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I hope we shall be invited to the next sortie into the vastness which is America.
  6. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you again. Great ride. Great report too.
    On the subject of windmills, I might suggest a right from where you are through the Mojave and toward the town of Tehachapi. It’s a windmill fest through there.
  7. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great ride and superb report! Thanks for letting us ride along, Scott.
  8. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    "When the smoke cleared, it cost me ~$75.00 a day. Not too shabby for a paid vacation, right?"

Cheaper than staying home !!!!

Don
  9. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly. :photog
    Salsa likes this.
  10. BadPoet

BadPoet Proper grammar is over-rated

Oddometer:
    Wow. Just got caught up finally. Thanks for such a great report. I’m leaving Houston in about three weeks to do a fly n ride from Colorado back to Texas and your trip report is a great resource. I’ll only have 7 days to get back and it will be my first real trip and I’m considering doing my first ride report as well. I too was heavily influenced by Beverly Cleary’s books. Still have an original copy. Started riding at 8 yrs of age and can’t remember if I read the book first or started riding first but either way it started me on this crazy adventure. I worked in the oil fields a couple of summers through high school in your area out around Burkburnett in the early 80s when the temps hit 121 F during a bad heat wave. Brutal. Empire of the summer moon - great book . It’s cool you’ve traveled that path. I’ve read some of your other reports and though it’s been a while and I don’t remember all the details I do remember enjoying them. There is definitely an art to good story telling and people from West Texas have a natural talent for it Keep up the good work and Thanks Again.
    nochwas and Animal Instinct like this.
  11. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Greatly appreciated, BadPoet.

People don't get it, but the heat and cold in this area are amplified. I hope your fly n ride turns out to be a fine adventure and I encourage you to post a report.
  12. BradB.

BradB. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An absolutely captivating read and the images are inspiring! I want badly to do such a trip. Mine will be a tad further starting from St. Louis. I will certainly revisit this thread and reference your route for an idea of just how to do this. It will be a first for me doing anything of this scale. And I’m solo too. (He says nervously.)
    Animal Instinct and bomose like this.
  13. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    You can not go wrong with this area and there is so much more out there to see and experience. The toughest part is getting the bike packed up and leaving the comfort zone. The rest will fall in place as the miles stack up. Thanks for taking time to have a looksie at my humble ride report. I'll be looking for yours. Safe travels. :ricky