Tilting at Windmills, A Masked Campaign Around Southeast Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Animal Instinct, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 4, September 15, 2020 -- Vallie Bridge CG, CO to Dry Gulch CG, CO

155 miles, ~8.5 hours

[​IMG]

The day of the passes. :nod

Kind of chilly when I crawled out of the tent. The warmth of the full sunlight and the beauty of my surroundings warmed things up pretty quick though. A chipmunk had found its way into my food and eaten a great deal of my trail mix. Funny, the little fart didn't like the raisins and had tossed them all over the place and left quite a few in the bag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The info board by the toilets showed a 4WD road on the north side the Arkansas River that went all the way up to Salida. I figured what the heck.

"What's the worst thing that could happen?" ~ John Downs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fremont County road 45

[​IMG]

About here I had just crossed a little mud puddle and felt the back end give just a titch. Enough to make me stop and consider turning back. I figured I'd push a bit further to avoid going back through the minor hazard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Muscongus, BillUA, Mcahron and 2 others like this.
  2. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Made a small river crossing under a trestle bridge that had a significant ascent on the far side bank that blocked the view of the trail as it continued. Got to the top to find this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which meant navigating the mud puddle a second time. That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the gate.

I have a mantra for negative thoughts that I like to share with folks.

Input determines outlook.
    Outlook determines outcome.

Letting that little blip about going through that mud puddle make its way through my head was the input that determined this outcome.

[​IMG]

I was actually headed in the direction where I took this pic. Yeller spun a 180 and left me off with a soft landing. I was in the middle of nowhere with a literal elephant in the room.

I drug the front end around as far out of the greasy mud as I could. My first attempt to right the beast was close but no cigar. I felt a little tingle in my lower back. I got it to an upright position on the second try and after several nerve racking tries on the starter, we were back in business.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We stopped in Salida for fuel and a glance at another pic from the 4WD book. Bit my lip again eating a spot of beef jerky.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another fantastic day for moto travel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Muscongus, BillUA, Mcahron and 4 others like this.
  3. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    It was a little chilly when the sun ducked behind the clouds. There must have been a recent storm as some of the roads were minimally cleared.

[​IMG]

Forest Road 887 would take us over Blacksage Pass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forest Road 763 would take us over Waunita Pass to Pitkin, CO. I never saw a sign designating the pass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to visit this, but the clouds were starting to thicken and it seemed a good idea to get down off the mountain. I promised myself to be more careful after the mud incident. I noticed my lower back was whispering a reminder to me as well.

[​IMG]
    Mcahron, 87warrior, xcsks and 3 others like this.
  4. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    So we headed on to Cumberland Pass. It was actually spitting a few snowflakes up there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The original plan was to head east out of Tincup over to St. Elmo but the west was calling, time was becoming a factor, and the clouds kept wanting to thicken, so I headed down to Gunnison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taylor Reservoir.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Muscongus, BillUA, bomose and 3 others like this.
  5. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    I grabbed some necessities in Gunnison and headed west, staring straight into the shining sun again. This time without a clue where I was going to camp. I had seen a bunch of campgrounds on the north side of Blue Mesa Reservoir on my torn out page and hoped to find a spot. Worst case scenario, I could get a hotel in Montrose.

[​IMG]

A sign for Dry Gulch CG caught my attention and turned out to be just the ticket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Muscongus, BillUA, bomose and 7 others like this.
  6. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling these "tingles" and "whispers" from the back are foreshadowing something...
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  7. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Your feelings might be on to something. :lol3

Thanks for looking in, vt.
  8. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny howTeeth, once they get a taste of Lip, keep goin' back for moar! Aggravating as thieving chipmunks they be . . .
  9. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride, keep it coming!
    Old Codger and Animal Instinct like this.
  10. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Yay - another Tilting adventure!
    Happy to see you again AI.
    Sorry to hear about your trials with the cold weather.
  11. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey Vikingtazz!

Great to cross paths again. More on the way.
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  12. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Good to see I have a local looking in. Now I have to keep it honest. :jack
    OnOff likes this.
  13. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 5, Wednesday, September 16, 2020 -- Dry Gulch CG, CO to 3-Step Hideway, UT

235 miles, ~7.75 hours

[​IMG]

My back started speaking to me in the night in a louder voice. I had trouble getting my shoes and socks on. It eased up a bit as I went about striking camp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moments after I took that last picture, a Ranger stopped by and said he noticed I didn't pay the $8.00 fee. I showed him the contents of my wallet, all $20's. He said that was not his problem. I started to get mad, then kept talking to the guy. I asked if I could ride back into Gunnison and get change. He said he could give me a credit card payment sheet (there were none of these at the payment kiosk). So I wound up paying with a credit card and the problem was solved. He then asked me where I was going and I told him I had no idea, only west. We wound up having a nice conversation.

[​IMG]

As I headed west on US 50, I noticed the smoke in the atmosphere and that it did not make for the kind of photographs I like to share with you guys. It did not make me stop snapping pics and I hope you will still get a little enjoyment out of them.

Blue Mesa Reservoir.

[​IMG]

Weed. Lots of weed. You could smell it. I even went back for a closer look to verify.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    One of these days, when it becomes legal everywhere, I might take a puff.
  15. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    This road has always looked interesting on the atlas and I have found many ways of not taking it. It goes from Montrose to Naturita. A dude came over to me at a convenience store where I was enjoying a chocolate milk on the curb. He had a KTM at home and of course asked me where I was headed. I mentioned this road and he tried to give me directions to where it started. He said it was called Rimrocker trail or something like that.

"Let's do it...." Wild Thing ~ Tone Loc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty tame for what I was expecting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The smoke I mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

West on CO 90, headed for UT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another perfect moto travel day, minus the smoke. We had the road to ourselves for the most part. I love the lonely stretches, lots of helmet time there for the taking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can remember coming into Bedrock and the Paradox valley for the first time back in "81. Hasn't changed much except for the solar panels.
  17. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Somewhere, a few miles before hitting the state line, I was standing on the pegs in an attempt to stretch my increasingly painful lower back out when I came up on a bear cub running alongside the road. If I had been seated I might have been able to get a pic. It seemed a strange thing to observe. More on this later.

[​IMG]

Purple Haze ~ Jimi Hendrix

[​IMG]

Stopped here for a second to stretch and walk around. Actually, to be honest, had to go into Moab to find some yellowbellies and get fuel for Yeller, then continued the expedition.

:photog

[​IMG]

Four days in the wild and Moab was, well, unappealing.

Then made time to do something else I have been meaning to do for about 5 years and was rewarded handsomely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I finally got to meet Scott, Dingweed here on ADV, and his better half, Julie. Strangely enough, my name is Scott and my sister's name is Julie. This was a surreal experience, augmented by the fact that later in the evening I noticed there were some folks hanging out front of the Cantina. I joined and soon found myself in the company of DR. Rock and Francine of the epic Mobius thread here on ADV.

I told everyone about seeing the bear cub running in the ditch earlier in the day and, oddly enough, Scott said that a day or two prior a guy was riding that same route on his way to 3-step and hit a bear on his bike, totaling the bike. The rider was not seriously injured.

At some point the discussion found its way to my visit to Sand Creek Massacre NHS and Col. Chivington's motivation for the atrocities committed there. He was a religious zealot and much of his justification was rooted in his beliefs.

I had a difficult time explaining this and felt like an inadequate historian (which I am for the most part). I read a couple chapters in the Good Book every morning with my coffee and French Vanilla (barf) creamer. The next morning I had Ezekiel 9 which, I believe, is the source of Chivington's maniacal behavior. So, LDF, 5 months after the fact, I give you a better explanation. I hope you guys had a fine time riding in Idaho.

I gave this particular structure a long overdue visit. That shower felt magnificent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bergy, xcsks, staticPort and 5 others like this.
  18. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome, enjoying so far :clap
  19. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno, I love those flowing roads through the aspens. That looked like a nice ride to me!
  20. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Yes sir, docwyte. I love just listening to my tunes, hearing Yeller thump along, and taking in the sights that the road less traveled offers. Solitude. The remote possibility that something might go wrong and I'm in the middle of nowhere, all alone, heightens the senses to a level that normal, day to day living, misses the mark on. It's why I'm out here doing this. I always return home bettered and ready to get back into the grind until the next adventure.

:ricky
    staticPort and 87warrior like this.