Tilting at Windmills, A Masked Campaign Around Southeast Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Animal Instinct, Feb 15, 2021.

1. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't believe how crowded Moab has gotten. I first went there in '81. Hardly saw anyone at Arches. It was legal to climb on everything. I even have a pic somewhere of me holding up Balanced Rock. The road to Canyonlands wasn't even paved past Dead Horse Point.
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  2. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just read all this! Fantastic pics even with the smoke!
  3. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you read the sequel, "Runaway Ralph." Those wonderful books got lost in my memory banks for a long time, and then, a ride report or two ago, I was holed up in a motel in Salida, CO that had mice under the TV stand, I think. They squeaked throughout the night and woke my up several times. During one of the wakeful moments, just before I drifted back off, I thought of those books and checked them out from the library and read them as soon as I got back to the Falls. I know it sounds corny, but I recommend revisiting them if you are of a mind to.
  4. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for that comment. The haze was irritating from a picture taking point of view, but it really didn't detract from the ride one bit. Like I said earlier, it gives a legit reason for going back someday.
    GotDammitDave likes this.
  5. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 10, Monday, September 21, 2020 -- CG on the bank of the Green River, UT to Escalante Cabins & RV Park, UT

245 miles, ~10.75 hours

[​IMG]

I got a respectably early start and returned to I70 to head west in search of the San Rafael Reef and San Rafael Swell, stopping one last time in Green River, UT for fuel and a restocking of groceries. I could not pass this up. This and the breakfast Dingweed made the other day is the only food I had consumed that I wasn't carrying with me. Ham, egg, and cheese burrito from Melon Vine Food Store. Num Num. :dukegirl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is me on I70 that morning. :ricky :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stopped for a scenic overlook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Going through the Reef.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And heading to the Swell. It took a few minutes to convince myself I was on the right road as it started off heading back due east.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out those asses. :nod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was very bright out here. I donned the Ray-Bans.

[​IMG]

Hey guys, a stray ass, outstanding in his field.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really isolated too out here, for the most part.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And kept getting better and better to gawk at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    The roads had been moistened in a few spots, I assume to keep the dust at bay.

[​IMG]

I took a lot of pictures here. I'll share only a few.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Petroglyph.

[​IMG]

Pictograph.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I kicked around here for a few minutes. Department of Defense tunnels that were top secret in 1948. It was getting pretty hot and it felt good to get back on Yeller and get moving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wedge Overlook was marked on the Atlas page and I guessed this road heading south might take us there. I was surprised to see what it was. Bit my lip again on some trail mix. There was a hump residing on my inner, lower lip. Oh yeah, and my back was still barking at me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Then it was mostly a straight shot west to Castle Rock, UT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then south on UT 10 to UT 72 to Loa, UT. I had no destination in mind, other than a possible looksie over the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, maybe tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't you love how what you see on a map is not what you see on the ride? This was a relaxing, winding road, with a fairly high elevation and a rounded, smooth landscape. Pretty tame terrain that was quite a contrast to what we were seeing a few miles ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it seemed to just keep on climbing and climbing.

[​IMG]

Would this be the first donning of the rain gear? High up like this, you get wet, you get real cold real fast. It looked like we might just skirt it to the east.....

[​IMG]

I have learned my lesson on this one, and stopped and went through the slow process of getting the rain gear on over the Gray Man mesh suit. I am not stoned, though it might look like it in the mirror.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    The Atlas page showed a FS road heading south out of Bicknell, UT. It was difficult to find and, once heading south, more difficult to convince myself I was on the right road. It was supposed to come out in Escalante, UT and pass by several camping spots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lava field.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had that RV Park in the back of my mind. There were a couple campsites I would be passing on the way down into Escalante, but it was chilly enough up here to discourage me enough to do anything more than give them a quick drive thru for future reference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, Escalante Cabins & RV Park would be my home for another night. Got a shower which was devine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great spot to rest an aching back and rendezvous with a kindred spirit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. bomose

Oddometer:
    We actually left Escalante CG on the 22nd, so we could have seen each other if we'd known. We came in well after dark on the bike,so didn't see your bike. We were traveling with the van and trailer when we left that morning.
    IMG_0806.JPG
  11. FatTirePlease

FatTirePlease Still rollin'

Oddometer:
    That DAMN lower lip thing !!!!
    Bit mine ( hard ) hundreds of times over the years- usually 3 times every time i bite it. Original bite, then twice more after it swells up,before i smarten up. Swear i'm gonna pull my crooked front tooth every time it happens. DAMN-IT!
    You aren't alone.
  12. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit behind on the updates AI (possibly) - or else just forgetful (likely).
    When did Red get retired?

Wish I could plan another visit to Utah but it's looking like the border will remain closed at least until the summer, which is when all the best riding happens closer to home and things get too hot for me down your way.
    My father wants to do some exploring in Northern Ontario, so I've planned a week off in early July to visit the Chapleau Crown Game Preserve and forest roads/trails in that area.
    Nothing too extreme, he's in his late 70's and riding a gen 2 KLR like yours.

I'm enjoying the RR of course, thanks again for taking the time to share.

Another inmate posted a blog report on the game preserve if you're interested in reading about it:
    https://nordwulf.wordpress.com/2009/05/26/motorcycle-trip-chapleau-crown-game-preserve-ontario/
    Mtnmoto71 and Animal Instinct like this.
  13. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Man. I needed that!
  14. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Your dad can't go wrong with the KLR. I'll give it a look, Boss.
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  15. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 11, Tuesday, September 22, 2020 -- Escalante Cabins & RV Park, CO to Unknown Camping Spot in Kaibab NF, AZ

209 miles, ~8 hours

[​IMG]

Slept badly last night. The back. It's bad enough that I have to vocalize when turning in the night. I always say, "You don't have to do anything." Sometimes, you do.

Struck camp fairly early. My kindred spirit, Landon, was still staying here with his grandparents and came by early and helped me pack Yeller. I got him laughing about us saying some word, oddly I can't remember the word, but we had a hoot saying it over and over into redundancy. It was something stupid like "grapes" or "wrench" and he said it first and I kind of mocked him and it took hold. It brought back so many fond memories of my adult kids when they were that age. I meant to write the word down and forgot.

He helped me select my route for today.

[​IMG]

It was a semi-emotional farewell for me at least. Landon was a good kid, and smart beyond his years, an old soul, and it seemed he might have been pawned off on his grandparents. I could be totally off base, but that's what my Animal Instinct was telling me.

[​IMG]

Headed west on UT 12.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Isn't it cool beans to wake up and start your day off looking at this?

[​IMG]

Approaching Bryce Canyon NP and to my surprise.....

[​IMG]

Ahhh. Lovely.

[​IMG]
  16. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    It was short lived and I was patient. Patience is a virtue, and virtuous acts are often rewarded.

"It is no patience
    Which you can bear patiently;
    Patience is to bear
    What is unbearable."

~Sengai (1750-1837)

:gerg

[​IMG]

Right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, man. :nod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are places to pull off the park road all over, and I did a poor job documenting what I was taking pics of. Sorry. I'll just share the best of the pics. It's crowded here and is basically an out/up and back/down ride. We had arrived early enough to avoid the throngs, but we felt their hot breath on the backs of our necks the entire time we were here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to do a little hike to get here as I recall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then on to the next overlook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    It was getting chilly and Mother Nature felt it was time to send some darker clouds over this way. We were getting close to the turnaround spot up top. I had no intention of spending but one day here, but the park entries are good for 7 and there is a fair amount of hiking one could occupy themselves with, FYI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to book it. The steadily increasing clouds and cold were a familiar harbinger. Time was now of the essence. Fortunately, I had taken all the stops coming up so all Yeller and I had to do was get outta' Dodge.

[​IMG]

I felt sorry for these eager and innocent onlookers. It was fixin' to get damp.

[​IMG]

The precip. was light and I kind of thought I might get by without the rain suit. I have made that mistake many times in the past. Just sayin'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enough. Let's put her on. My socks were getting wet and the promise of escape was growing thinner with each mile.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    Zion. The beauty is off the chart.
  19. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    So, as will occasionally happen. You stop, suit up, go a few more miles and the skies clear and you find yourself baking in the thing. I'm seasoned enough not to fall for this trick so I kept it on for a bit longer. Heading south on US 89.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arizona ~ Kings of Leon

[​IMG]

The goal at this point was to get close to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and find a spot to camp. The atlas showed lots of opportunities.

[​IMG]

But there had been recent fires here the further south we headed on US ALT 89 and AZ 69.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All campgrounds that were open were full, crowded, and unappealing, so I decided to try and find somewhere in the forest to camp. I was somewhere south of Jacob Lake, AZ and just took a FS road at whim. Hunting.

A couple ruts led off the main road and I figured what the heck. Took em' and found myself here.

[​IMG]

Gosh. Not too shabby. Right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Solitude.

Stephen King in the King Camp throne. Not a good seating arrangement for back pain. In fact, the only place I could get comfortable was when I was riding Yeller.

[​IMG]

Hell yeah!

[​IMG]
  20. bomose

Oddometer:
    Too bad we didn't meet up. I had some hydrocodone with me.:lol3 That's some beautiful country. I agree about the crowds at Bryce. But that's happening everywhere.