Tilting at Windmills, A Masked Campaign Around Southeast Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Animal Instinct, Feb 15, 2021.

1. JackBurns40

JackBurns40 LDRider, dirt newbie

Oddometer:
    Having serious flashbacks to my Utah trip from a couple of years ago. Really need to get back there
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I liked the zen...
  3. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thanks for taking us along.
  4. jaksavage

jaksavage Smooth and a little sneaky

Oddometer:
    Memories...
  5. tiller4me

tiller4me Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And add another. Had no idea.
  6. ptarman

ptarman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After six knee replacements I don't ride off pavement except for short distances. Your trip looks great. I've ridden in a lot of the places you've been. Way back in '87, I rode from Canon City to Westcliffe through Wetmore and up Hardscrabble Canyon -- on a bicycle. It's easier with power. Great pictures!!
  7. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Last of the Late Brakers.

Oddometer:
    What a wonderful contribution. I have enjoyed it all - unfortunately vicariously - so thank you so much for sharing it.
  8. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I traveled on our 250's from Pa. to just about where you left off heading north, then we turned south to the Rio Grande and headed to Big Ben, back in 2014 when I turned 65. Your ride report brings back memories. Thanks for taking the time and effort. We're in for more.
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  9. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had same experience once. No cc accepted then, no change would be made. Pissed me off might’ily. Not donating 20$ for $6 camp sight to U.Sam. Found a camper to make change. I carry small bills for camps now.
  10. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Boss.

Just wanting to share. :hmmmmm
  11. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Thanks for having a look, idea man.

You ever seen Night Shift with Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton?

Billy Blaze: "I'm an idea man, Chuck."
    JackBurns40 likes this.
  12. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey tiller, hit my sig line. All my adventures depart and end from the Falls. It's a challenge to make my way out west on a different route from here. But it's......

.......Challenge accepted.

Thanks for looking in. :thumb
  13. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey black top bob, really appreciate you looking in. You can not go wrong heading south to Big Bend. Ever. :ricky

More on the way, well, maybe tomorrow.
    HardWorkingDog and bomose like this.
  14. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny enough, yes. That is actually my origin story....at least the origin of my screen name.
    That and, "You keep thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at." Butch wasn't as neutral sounding.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! :clap I never tire of Utah.
  16. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 12, Wednesday, September 23, 2020 -- Unknown CG in Kaibab NF to Super 8 Motel in Page, AZ

224 miles, ~8hours

[​IMG]

There was frost on Yeller's seat again this morning. I only had enough water for one cup of coffee. As I waited for the sun to work it's warming magic, I walked around finding patches of sunlight to stand in.

I was looking forward to seeing the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The atlas showed a nice FS road heading south to hook back up with AZ 67 south, so I did my best to find it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good start.

[​IMG]

Doesn't that just nearly blind you?

[​IMG]

Somehow, I took a wrong turn and got on to AZ 67 south way sooner than I wanted. More on this to follow. There was a reason.

Isn't it strange, in retrospect, how you can see that what seemed like an aggravation at one point in time actually served you well in the long run. It really didn't bother me in the least and it turned out to work in my benefit.

[​IMG]
    td63, Comrade Arturo, Mcahron and 6 others like this.
  17. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    I got to the park and decided not to pay the $30.00 entrance fee and hooked a U. I had seen a parking lot filled with cars about 10 miles back, so I decided to check it out. This is my glimpse off the north rim. It was crowded and congested. Anyone in a car had to wait in line for a parking spot. I whipped Yeller into a questionably sloped spot and put the kick stand down, determined to get at least a glimpse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been to the bottom and back in a single day and paid a price in a good week of muscle soreness, the likes of which I had never experienced prior or since. So, I know my boundaries. It is very easy to get carried away on these trails and put yourself in peril.

I decided to hike down far enough to get a pic of the void and turn back. I had trained for months to accomplish that great feat years ago. At this point in my life, I am no longer an endurance athlete, or even in shape at all. I just want a pic and then hope to be able to get back up the trail. The lower back pain is a variable in this equation as well.

I say all this, because the pic is a poor one. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is.

[​IMG]

I was sweating and out of breath when I finished the ascent and reached the trailhead.

Ate some trail mix and jerky, and yeah, bit the shit out of the inside of my lip once again, and took off for parts unknown.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the reason I was nudged back onto AZ 67 started to take shape, as mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]

Heading back north, away from the Grand Canyon. All seemed to be going well, except I could never get out of the clouds and it was chilly.

[​IMG]

A sunny and golden glimpse or two here and there, otherwise a little overcast for what I was hoping for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saw something that looked interesting, so Yeller and I opted to have a looksie and found this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've had some really good experiences at these lookout towers. Today would not follow the trend. I got to see some cool stuff, but climbing those stairs and looking out is where the good stuff resides.

Maybe that was an omen. I continued north on FS 22 and eventually found this on up the washboardy 20 miles I had covered and would now have to back track. See the atlas pages on top of the tail bag. Man, I didn't want to cover that tooth rattling 20 miles again, but there was no apparent alternative. Better to have found this obstacle now instead of earlier today or the crowds at the north rim would have been painful.

[​IMG]
    td63, Comrade Arturo, Mcahron and 5 others like this.
  18. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Got back to AZ 67 and headed north.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then East on US ALT 89 through the Vermillion Cliffs.

OK. It could be worse, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crossed the Colorado River again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oddly enough, when I hit US 89, I decided to head north. Got a room at the Super 8 in Page, AZ. Exhausted and wrestling with a sore back. Found a frozen dinner for the microwave and some cold ones at a nearby Safeway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    What do you use for a camera while riding?
  20. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Last of the Late Brakers.

Oddometer:
    For those of us in other parts of the world who continue to be denied such peripatetic freedoms, this thread is a tonic indeed. Thank you AI for going to the trouble of reminding us that there is still life out there and something to which we might look forward. I hope!

Perhaps we can have some more, please?

W Toad, England.