Tilting at Windmills, A Masked Campaign Around Southeast Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Animal Instinct, Feb 15, 2021.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I liked the peripatetic...
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  2. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    An older Nikon Coolpix waterproof and shatterproof. Point and shoot for dummies like me. :-)

Thanks for visiting.
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  3. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Oh yes, Wumple, there is still much to look forward to. The hardest part is the first step. It's easy to dream. Planning is fairly simple as well. Hopping on the bike and getting on the road into the unknown is the challenge. In my case, in these confusing times, I grabbed some masks and never looked back.

Thanks for looking in and tilting at the things found hither and thither. :photog
  4. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 13, Thursday, September 24, 2020 -- Super 8 Motel in Page, AZ to Super 8 Motel in Page, AZ

64 miles, ~4.75 hours

[​IMG]

A day of rest.

When I woke up this morning, I immediately thought that today would be a good day for chillin'. The bed was good and my back seemed slightly improved. I made arrangements at the front desk. This room was $52.51 per night.

I began my rest day, type A freak that I am, with a load of dirty clothes, done in my bathing suit as I was out of clean boxers. :rofl

I did sleep until 11 though.

[​IMG]

And since I was being rebellious and breaking habits, I elected not to wear ATGATT. I promise I did not wake and bake, but it looks like it, right? :bubba

[​IMG]

I wanted to explore a slot canyon. Any slot canyon. I just wanted the experience. A couple showed up SW of town. I could not find any. I stopped at one place that required a bit of a hike. There was a very sandy dirt road leading around a small hill and I elected to hike it so as not to drop Yeller in the sand in my short pants. As I rounded the bend in the deep and silty sand it appeared that I was approaching a private residence and elected to get the hell outta' Dodge.

When I got back to Yeller and took off, I forgot my gloves were on top of the tail bag. About a mile down the road heading back into Page I noticed I had no gloves on. Ahhh shit.

Luckily, I located them. The left on one shoulder and the right on the opposite a few yards up the road.

This is the kind of misadventure that can happen when you go rouge and dismiss the daily routine.

[​IMG]

So I figured a $5.00 peep show over Horseshoe Bend might be a more tame endeavour. I asked the Indian Nation in the pay booth about any slot canyons. She said they were all on tribal lands and that they were closed due to COVID-19. She also added that it would be very unwise to try and go there as the folks were armed and serious about keeping the dreaded virus from gaining entry. Glad I turned around earlier.

Gimmie Three Steps ~Lynyrd Skynyrd

So I settled for the Bend.

[​IMG]

A little hike to stretch the legs out and re-acclimate myself to the masses.

[​IMG]

It was well worth it. See the boat down there on the Colorado River as it winds its way to the Grand Canyon, the Green River having dumped into it way north of here in Canyonlands NP, UT?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stopped by the room for a snack and the black and white on the wall encouraged me to keep looking for something that was even close to being a slot canyon.

[​IMG]
  5. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    There was a scenic overlook for Glen Canyon Dam. I figured, why not? I was now navigating from a photocopied map the receptionist at Super 8 had given me.

There was a little hike and I was just dinking around. Noticed my toenails needed a little attention as I ambled about. Also noticed quite a bit of weakness in my thighs going up and down. The pain is gone, but the legacy remains. It took about 2 months to recover from the back thing. All good now though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I figured I'd have a looksie at the other side of the dam as well. Why not, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, there was a hike to Hanging Gardens that seemed like something that needed a glimpse.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, hike the trail I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, this is the hanging garden.

[​IMG]
    Vikingtazz, mnTwin, bomose and 7 others like this.
  6. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    I decided to go on up the road a little bit further, but this was a rest day and my adventuring spirit didn't have much left.

Lake Powell in the haze.

[​IMG]

There were a couple of written descriptions on Google of a slot canyon out this way so I decided to give it one last try.

[​IMG]

Kind of don't like riding down this stuff in my shorts.

[​IMG]

Rerouted and headed back to the Super 8. There was one last chance and it ended up being in a new subdivision.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much to brag about, but it was a good way to end the exploration.

[​IMG]

With my weak legs and all, I was not going down there. Here is where it was.

[​IMG]

Since I had paid my entry to Glen Canyon NP on ferry ride day and still had the ticket, I had to go check out the campgrounds out of principle, just to pull the ticket from my pocket and hold it up, grinning.

[​IMG]

It was hot and crowded. Super 8 looks pretty damn good and I'm glad that's where I'm calling home for tonight. Never turned the tv on the whole time I was there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    td63, RacingBlue, bomose and 7 others like this.
  7. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got caught up with your RR. Thanks for posting with all the pics that make me want to head to Utah again. Been to most of those places and will go back again. I’m north of Salida, CO and you were playing in my backyard on your way to UT. Glad you enjoyed it, mostly.
  8. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    That's a rest day? :lol3

Nice selfie, you could be Anthony Bourdain's doppleganger. A good thing, in case you weren't sure.
  9. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn dangerous place to visit.
    [​IMG]
    Two weeks ago headed to Alamos a to start a 14 day ride in CO/AZ/NM.
    I'll pick it up all fixed in Salida the end of next week!
    Damn "Forest Rats" ....
    td63 and Animal Instinct like this.
  10. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    American History classes in high school don't teach much of anything these days. Are you doing any part time veterinary work?
    Thanks for posting :thumb
  11. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    @bigjohnsd, sorry you met one of our wildland creatures (we refer to them as long legged garden rodents, but forest rat works, too) in such an unfortunate way. Just glad you weren’t on your bike at the time. Hope you still got to ride and that your vehicle is properly repaired and good for many more miles.
  12. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Another good book is "Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches"
    download.jpg
  13. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey Comrade,

Walked away from it and never looked back. No regrets.

Thanks for asking, friend.
    bomose likes this.
  14. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Funny.

bomose, here on ADV, put me onto that book several years ago in a reply on an earlier RR. I have a great appreciation for Quanah Parker and have spent a good amount of time tracing his footsteps. I've visited his grave, made pilgrimage to Star House, followed the Quanah Parker trail, and just possibly might be related to him.

Thanks for looking in and for the recommended reading. It is good to know that someone can ride along with me on my RR and feel comfortable enough to suggest a book I might enjoy.

Empire of the Summer Moon is one of the best books I've read. More to the story -- about 5 years ago, LA and I were doing a gypsy tour out west in out Xterra, camping at Spruce CG near Lake City, CO when I saw bomose go by on his KTM. Got to meet him in Lake City later that day. Cool karma on this here ADV....:nod
    mikegc, bomose and Comrade Arturo like this.
  15. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. Enjoyed meeting you two that day. As fate would have it.
    IMG_1797.JPG
    Animal Instinct and mikegc like this.
  16. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo and the great memory. And, I don't look stoned in there. What, you got some kind of filter on the camera or something?

That was magical, though, right?
    bomose likes this.
  17. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 14, Friday, September 25, 2020 -- Super 8 Motel in Page, AZ to Mom Too's in Pine, AZ.

265 miles, ~7hours

[​IMG]

It took several trips to the room and back to get Yeller loaded back up.

[​IMG]

Then we shot south on AZ98.

You have to dig deep, especially on a fantastic trip like this, to continue the momentum when you know you are heading home, to flat and mesquite. There is something magical about the mountains, about the terrain, about putting yourself out there in a way that your day to day routine does not require, that makes heading home as difficult as that first step out of the gate where the sense of home and security reside along with you.

But this is what adventure travel is all about, am I right?

Just do it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not a whole lot to gander at out here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't the pics give you the impression of an impending slog back home?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    td63, mnTwin, Mcahron and 5 others like this.
  18. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    US160 east to US89 south heading to Flag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Humphrey's peak in the distance. I've hiked to the summit. Cool to look at something conquered from a distance that most folk have never considered experiencing. It's a long walk up there, friends, trust me.

[​IMG]

Outskirts of Flagstaff, AZ.

[​IMG]

Lake Mary Road south out of Flag. Memories flooding in.

[​IMG]

I can't remember from my pics, but I think this is Lake Mary.

[​IMG]

And then a bit south, Mormon Lake. On occasion, Big Foot tracks can be spotted crossing the highway around here. I had a hand (lookout man) in the last occurrance and am blessed to be a part of that legacy.

[​IMG]

Mogollon Rim in the far distance.

[​IMG]

Iconic fire engine at Happy Jack, AZ.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    td63, mnTwin, Mcahron and 5 others like this.
  19. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to drop down the rim a bit into Strawberry and Pine. Got an old friend I must visit since I'm in the area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mom Too's home.

[​IMG]

Perfectly groomed front lawn.

[​IMG]

See the deer in my old driveway. Yeah, LA and I lived there for a year, and a great year it was. More memories flooding in.

[​IMG]

The chicken yard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BillUA, Mcahron, RacingBlue and 8 others like this.
  20. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    That year we lived here, we raked the pine needles down to the dirt in the chicken yard, trimmed all the trees up so you could walk around without dashing your brains in, and hauled load after load of it all to the landfill as part of our "rent" agreement. Manual labor like that has rewards that transcend currency along with the benefit of instant gratification.

Rena had taken a fall a couple months earlier that resulted in a broken femur that required 2 surgeries. This tough ol' gal was using a walker a little bit and going without for the most part. She is a badass!

She did have a couple things I could help her with tomorrow, though.....

Well, she kind of hinted that she might sic her attack kitty on me and beat the shit out of me with her walker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then she scurried off across the road, dust and sparks kicking off the walker wheels, to round up the chickens for the night, guard kitty in tow. This is an amazing human being that wields a mean streak you just want to avoid at all costs.

[​IMG]

Yeller turned in early.

[​IMG]

Slept like a log. Man, it was great to see Rena again. Once the world record holder for female indoor cycle jumping and acquaintance of Evel Knievel. :ricky:nod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    td63, Mcahron, RacingBlue and 8 others like this.