Tilting at Windmills, A Masked Campaign Around Southeast Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Animal Instinct, Feb 15, 2021.

1. JackBurns40

JackBurns40 LDRider, dirt newbie

Oddometer:
    Great memories from Flagstaff. Lived there for 5.5 years back in the late 80s and early 90s. Unfortunately didn’t have a bike back then.
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  2. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 15, Saturday, September 26, 2020 -- Mom Too's house to Lyman Lake, State Park, AZ

235 miles, 5.75 hours

[​IMG]

I awoke planning on helping Rena get a few things done. Rena allowed we were taking a trip down to Payson to get dog, chicken and goat feed, and maybe a snack or two for, Billy, the potbellied pig that lives in the house with her and the six Yorkshire terriers. This guy is housebroken, has his own room as well as free roam of the house, and can do tricks. He is, however, camera shy and no pics are allowed. The Yorkies, not so much. :-)

$283.00 later......

[​IMG]

I got hitched to the old yellow wagon. Once again. I know the wagon well from the year we lived here. I was simply a beast of burden, too simple to know which container which bag goes in and incapable of the complicated mixing instructions that must be adhered to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kitty rules the roost. There are some African geese and a couple roosters in this yard that demand constant surveillance if you happen to be human. They will attack you in a minute. As you see, kitty has no concern at all.

[​IMG]

I considered staying another night, but the weather was good and I had a 2 day stint to get home so I bid Rena farewell and headed on down the rim into Payson on AZ 87 for the second time this fine day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BillUA, td63, Mcahron and 9 others like this.
  3. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    So, as usually happens when I putting up a ride report, Photobucket has changed the procedures. It has taken me 2 hours to figure out how to post the above pics. There are suddenly more steps involved. I'm getting the hang of it.

Technology.

Progress.

Whatever. Piss.
    td63 and Mcahron like this.
  4. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    East on AZ260. Perhaps a premonition of where I was eventually headed, right here in Forest Lakes, AZ.

[​IMG]

Then I missed the turn for US60 and found myself on AZ73 heading south. I considered backtracking, but stayed the course. What the hell, right? I've never seen this stuff before. White Mountain Apache Lands.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worked for me and Yeller.

[​IMG]

Finally found ourselves in Eager/Springerville, AZ and found a familiar US160 north that would take us through a land of volcanic caldera and deliver us to Lyman Lake, SP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A homecoming. This was one of my parks as an Americorps sponsored AZ State Parks Family Campout Coordinator the year we lived here. My favorite site was unoccupied. I snagged it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BillUA, td63, xcsks and 16 others like this.
  5. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 16, Sunday September 27, 2020 -- Lyman Lake SP, AZ to Motel 6 in Roswell, NM

391 miles, ~9.5 hours

[​IMG]

I awoke in a familiar place. I struck camp in a spot I had done it at least a dozen times. Got Yeller loaded and took a quick study of the park. I show you FF's this stuff cause' there aren't many spots to lay your head down out this way.

5 years ago, there were maybe 6 of these cabins at this park. Now there are a lot more. Good to see AZ State Parks making some positive investments.

[​IMG]

A bridge we built 5 years ago at one of my Family Campouts. There was supposed to be a fenced doggie park to follow. Now, it's kind of sad to see the structure falling into dilapidation. My campers and I designed and constructed this little bridge in less than 24 hours from scrap lumber at the park's shop and it was such a rewarding thing to see the young kids screwing a wood screw in with a drill, dads cutting boards, and moms bringing the boards to the construction site. Simple stuff, I know, but getting families that were unaccustomed to camping to come together and actually build something was, well, humbling.

Zen.

[​IMG]

Time to do some serious helmet time on the way back to TX.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a bit of excitement to get back home, the Yen.

And there's the knowledge that the landscape would become less and less appealing with each 100 miles or so, the Yang.

We've been on the road a minute. You think about it, not many folk do this kind of stuff. This is day 16, we've covered some miles, mainly solo. It's been a blessing to simply ride and see the things on the road less traveled that were presented. Glad to share it with you FF's and thanks for having a looksie.

Helmet time.

[​IMG]

Much to be said about helmet time.

This is where I find my strength, searching out these imaginary enemies, like Don Quixote riding his faithful steed, Rocinante, and his trusty sidekick, Sancho Panza by his side.

We all wrestle with demons, right?

Helmet time is not about defeating them. It's about acknowledging them.

Making them tangible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Smidty, jeckyll, BillUA and 11 others like this.
  6. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Caught an amazing tailwind today!

[​IMG]

:rayof

Visited this spot a couple RR's ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good to see folks venturing out in these strange, paranoid times. It won't be too terribly long until I will be that guy. Makes me so glad I am able to do this stuff now and don't make excuses not to.

[​IMG]

Had to check this CG out for future reference. Glad I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was just off US60 in Datil, NM for those interested.

The familiar VLA Radio Telescopes. I visited the site once and recommend it if you have the time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Homeward Bound ~ Simon & Garfunkel

[​IMG]

Gradually levelling out.

[​IMG]

Enjoying it to the last drop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much to meditate on.

[​IMG]
  7. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Stopped in Corrizozo, NM for sustenance. Had a chin wag with Hoozer here on ADV who was trailering his GS and taking day trips on his way out west. Funny, how the things we seek out and eat on trips like this are so different from what we consume in our day to day routine on the treadmill.

And, how many times, during your work-a-day routine have you paused in the parking lot of a convenience store to shoot the shit with a stranger?

Right?

When I returned from this adventure, I made it a point to drink a little chocolate milk from a convenience store from time to time. Maybe once a month, at least. The rich taste brings me right back to moments like this and, to date, there have been no chin wags to enhance the flavor.

[​IMG]

Blasted right past Smokey the Bear's origins which I documented a few RR's ago.

Hit my sig line if you want to visit the west.

[​IMG]

Guess where in NM I would eventually be staying this evening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeller and I were determined not to stay in a hotel. As the sun was slipping quickly away over the western horizon, we made a grand effort to camp under the stars one last night. Bottomless Lakes SP was apparent on the torn out atlas page we were navigating from.

Why not, what's the worst thing that could happen, right?

[​IMG]

Shook hands with a dear old landmark. The Pecos River.

[​IMG]

Wow. It was a lot further out here than it looked like on the atlas!

[​IMG]

These guys were all over the place. Pronghorn, fastest land mammal in North America -- just in case you missed it the first time. :rofl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bottomless lakes seem to have a bottom unless my eyes deceive me.

[​IMG]

Ahhh. Home for the night. Perfect!

[​IMG]
    mnTwin, Comrade Arturo, td63 and 7 others like this.
  8. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Uhhh.

The pandemic is far reaching. I thought about parking Yeller right there and hopping the fence and setting my tent up for a minute, but there were several trucks parked around and I thought better about it. Once again, I broke the rules and had a warm beer as I contemplated my next move.

[​IMG]

This was a gun range, and I considered camping here. But there was a learning curve developing on this ride and I decided to head back to Roswell. RV parks, KOA's, and the Super 8 in Page, AZ all came into play. Weakness? Nah. Enlightenment.

[​IMG]

Back the way we came. Staring straight
    into
    the
    sun
    once again.

[​IMG]

The newly remodeled Motel 6 was wonderful. Pizza sounded perfect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Comrade Arturo, td63, bomose and 9 others like this.
  9. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Last of the Late Brakers.

Oddometer:
    Did you encounter any strange beings in Roswell?
  10. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey Wumpletoad,

Thanks for looking in from across the waters.

The pizza delivery maiden had a nose ring, a lip piercing, and those expander earring things. She accepted my $10.00 tip and did not demand Bitcoin and had a killer smile, so, no.

I was prepared, however, for strange encounters. They never materialized. The pizza pie was otherworldly, though. :dukegirl

:nod
    td63, bomose and Wumpletoad like this.
  11. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great photos of such vast landscape. I love it.
  12. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    And those adornments are just the ones you saw!
    There were likely more not visible, LOL!
  13. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Thanks RedDogAlberta.

I see you are a George fan. 35 years ago, back when I was going through Veterinary school at Texas A&M, I danced in a skating rink in Brenham, TX to an up and coming Ace in the Hole Band.

Right? :rofl
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  14. Wumpletoad

Wumpletoad Last of the Late Brakers.

Oddometer:
    Talk about a small world . . . . . I met that girl in a Waffle House just outside Brunswick, GA and gave her a ride home to her trailer park. I've not had a decent night's sleep since.
  15. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Much like the feelings on the last day of the home stretch, I want to make this last post but find myself reluctant to say farewell to the adventure.

I guess that's why we plan the next one.

Thanks for riding along.
  16. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 17, Monday, September 28, 2020 -- Motel 6 in Roswell, NM to Wichita Falls, TX

The last leg of this adventure.

390 miles, ~8.5 hours

[​IMG]

Got Yeller loaded up and figured an appropriate parting shot was necessary. :norton

[​IMG]

Headed east into the cloud covered morning. It kind of set the tone for the

Last Mile Home ~Kings of Leon

[​IMG]

You like pecans? This is how they water the trees in Roswell. Kinda different, huh? Courtesy of the Pecos River, I suppose.

[​IMG]

So long, Roswell.

[​IMG]

Lots of time to reflect on things encountered on this adventure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice north breeze to greet us on the clutch side.

[​IMG]
  17. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    It was blowing, but nothing approaching the unholy gale that day in Green River, UT. Not even close.

West TX, folks. Rather than slog it out on US380, I opted for FM651 NE to Post, TX just for the hell of it. I was in no rush to return to work tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's giants out here, beware!

[​IMG]

A quick overview of Spur, TX.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The arrow is a landmark for the Quannah Parker Trail. I've covered that in previous reports and Day Trips. The spur is, well, I'll shut up. Duh.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Part of the famous Pitchfork Ranch.

[​IMG]

And the hanger at the recently sold Four Sixes (6666).

[​IMG]

Until you have driven between these two huge chunks of land, you have no appreciation for how amazingly massive they really are.

Four Sixes headquarters.

[​IMG]

And I bitch about mowing my lawn......
  18. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough, I stayed in the sunshine for most of the ride home, contrary to what the first several miles suggested.

[​IMG]

Mankins, TX, has some neat looking rock buildings and I am ashamed to admit I know none of the history. Twenty five miles from my front door. Maybe I'll look into that one of these days, in my free time.

[​IMG]

Yep. This was a north wind beat down all day long. Look at the bamboo being punished like me and Yeller.

[​IMG]

Got my money's worth on the last day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Until next time, friends.

~4300 miles.
    Left with $200.00 cash, returned with $19.00.
    Put $1104.00 on the credit card.
    When the smoke cleared, it cost me ~$75.00 a day. Not too shabby for a paid vacation, right?

Looking forward to the next adventure. Thanks for riding along! :wave

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jeckyll, mnTwin, Vikingtazz and 13 others like this.
  19. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I like pecans. Good work, man.
  20. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along. Sorry it came to an end, but look forward to seeing your next RR.