Tilting at Windmills -- A Simple Getaway

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Animal Instinct, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then it is back to US84 northwest again.

[​IMG]

And things are starting to take shape. This is a great helmet day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure exactly what road we are on, but we are still heading NW....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....with the road all to ourselves.

[​IMG]

Getting a little color change in the aspen. Got a little chilly along here. Part of the beauty of riding in the mountains is that you can be roasting at one point and 10 minutes later you can be freezing. Similar to a relationship. :lol3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    twowings, Vikingtazz and staticPort like this.
  2. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey LA, see the roosters? Miss you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rio Grande river west of Taos, NM on US64.

[​IMG]

Had to stop here and put on some extra layers and my rain pants. The mesh Olympia pants have no liner and I have found that putting the rain pants over them helps keep the cold out a good deal.

[​IMG]

It is simple to blow past scenic overlooks if you allow yourself to get in a hurry. I am cold at this point, there is a hint of rain, and I have no idea how much further I need to go to my planned sleeping spot. The atlas page makes it look fairly near, and I have fallen for that bluff more than once. But I took the time to stop and look.

[​IMG]

Glad I did. Moving along I got to camp and got the tent up just before dark. The night brought some thunder and lightning and a few raindrops to lull me off to sleep.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Smidty, twowings, Vikingtazz and 2 others like this.
  3. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Day 3, Monday, September 30, 2019 -- Heron Lake State Park, NM to Navajo Lake State Park, NM.

209 miles, ~8 hours

[​IMG]

Blue skies greeted us this morning.

[​IMG]

I took my time packing the tent and bedding away. Last night I was a little restless, thoughts keeping me awake. I needed batteries for the Garmin, a bungee for the beer cooler saddle bag, and Ramen noodles. I was glad I chunked the malfunctioning Garmin cord away. Piss on it and good ridance. I took some deep breaths and decided to fly by the seat of my pants and see the stuff I intended to and if it didn't work out that way I would just ride and slap a smile on my face.

So, it was back to US64/84 heading northwest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Things just kept imroving. Not sure how that works, but I will accept it. It is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good reason to take paper maps.
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  5. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The ride into Datil is a great one including the Very Large Array dish site...the Moto Guzzi folks rally at the Eagle Guest Ranch...fuel, liquor, restaurant, camping, motel, and gorgeous scenery all in one place..sorry to hijack your excellent thread
    sstracke, bomose and Animal Instinct like this.
  6. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    The map showed a road that headed a little WNW just around Dulce, NM. We took it. Colorful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Followed the San Juan river north and realized I had taken this road less traveled south once before in the opposite direction.

[​IMG]

Crossing from NM into CO.

[​IMG]

Not sure how come it feels so different crossing state lines on a dirt path, but, somehow when you are doing it you realize that there are not many folk that have gone this route. Unique. Maybe that describes the feeling. Captured here on the Garmin and with a pic, an unplanned discovery on a Simple Getaway....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeller was getting the cream of the crop on this adventure. Rights of initiation and Red is gone on a trade in for a Polaris 570 Sportsman. Every time I get on that 4-wheeler I think of Red and all of our travels together. Not forgotten.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    I so agree. :nod
    i4bikes and staticPort like this.
  8. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    So glad you would share.

LA and I visited the VLA and there is this most amazing outdoor display with two small scale NRAO's at about 50 yards from one another. You could whisper into one and your partner could clearly hear it on the other end.

Unreal how very large those things are when you get up and close.

Thanks for sharing, twowings.
  9. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that road out of Dulce is an old narrow gauge railroad bed. It was part of the train network linking the Durango Silverton train back to the east, to the Cumbres Toltec narrow gauge.
    NM64 is one of the best paved rides in New Mexico.
    Animal Instinct and twowings like this.
  10. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    In 2008 I was headed west on US 64 and missed the turn in Dulce where the highway goes briefly south and ended up on that dirt road headed north west toward Colorado. Not too far out of town there was a wooden water tank for the old steam engines and the pavement ended and I realized my error and backtracked. I was on a mission to ride highway 64 from its eastern end on the Outer Banks to its western terminus at Tec Nos Pos and didn't have time for detours. But that scenic dirt road along the river remains on my bucket list . . .
  11. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    You CaptCapsize, are correct. I consulted the notepad I carry on all adventures and found on day 3 these scribblings, of which two sound good when I read em', but they have no designation as of yet. The notes read:

Elk

Joy Always

Narrow Gauge Road

Perhaps by the time I wind this one up, "Elk" and "Joy Always" will make sense.

Thanks for looking in.
  12. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey staticPort,

I recommend leaving it on the bucket list. As you may well know, Red and I had a bucket list bust, but it was a great time and the items simply stay on the list.

Thank you for following along with us again! :clap
    staticPort likes this.
  13. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    :1drink

I just noticed that my Avitar, which I will never change, says it all.

I spent a minute finding a suitable pic to honor Red last night. Red will remain there ad infinitum. :nod

....and just fyFF'si, hijacks are welcome as long as they add to the adventure.

I'm just exploring Frost's roads that most don't take. If you've been there and done that, please feel free to enhance this humble RR.
    staticPort likes this.
  14. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    So we shared brunch and headed back towrds Pagosa Springs, CO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice usage of the river. Most folk don't consider it, but this is how I found Navajo Lake bone dry several years ago in the original Tilting at Windmills RR much to my dismay. Irrigation. A necessity.

[​IMG]

It would be amazing to view the hydrologic cycle without all the interventions. How would these rivers look? Think of that little thread we saw of the Rio Grand as we crossed the bridge. Trust me, that trickle did not cut the gorge it resides in today.

Sorry. Sharing stuff that goes through my head when covered with the helmet.

And then we hit the rally. :(

[​IMG]

It honestly did not last that long, but it seemed like a decade of dust. Stragglers kept meeting up with us. Then things cleared away. We kind of had a minor panic attack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Smidty, Cav47, i4bikes and 4 others like this.
  15. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    And then there were mountains on the horizon. Good gosh, I love seeing mountains. I live in a realatively flat environment, yeah, the Wichita Mountains are an hour north of our home, ~2500 ft at the highest, and I visit them as often as possible, but those beauties in the distance are Mountains!

[​IMG]

Stopped in at the Ace hardware store in Pagosa Springs, CO after getting fuel and found batteries and bungees. I could live without the Ramen. Having accomplished those tasks, we headed west, towards Chimney Rock National Monument. Remember, this is way before the COVID-19 debacle, and I had a nice exchange with the lovely lady that ran the register at Ace.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made it in time for a late lunch. Talked to a feller that said something about Chaco Canyon and a rough ass road leading into the SOB. I kind of liked his discription and it stuck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then took the self guided tour to the top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which involved a little hiking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    That hike was well worth the effort. I was huffing and questioning forward progress. 2018 and all that was part of that journey has taken some of the wind out of my sails. My modus operandi in these situations has always been to push on. So I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A glance back on occasion.

[​IMG]

.....and Photobucket decided to cut us off.

We will continue when the opportunity presents.

Stay safe.
    eaglescan, Smidty, bomose and 3 others like this.
  17. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Animal--------always enjoy your windmills------found this one in your home state of Texas in the hillcountry this winter. Thought of you when I saw it.

Was at the gate entrance of one of those monster ranches in TX.
    It's just one of those things when you see it ----------you put on the brakes and go back to look at.
    [​IMG]
  18. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Good to see you out riding and writing AI - hope everything is good with you and LA.
    Is Booger still in the stable? (The name you gave to the Sherpa iirc).

Me and Jimmy passed through your area in March of 2019 on our way to ride Baja - that was a terrific adventure!
  19. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how many chimney rocks there are in the US. Seems I've been past quite a few.
  20. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:

Hey Mark,

Thanks for chiming in and sharing that teaser pic from the 2019 Texas Hill Country ride! https://www.bigdogadventures.com/Himilayan.htm

Really appreciate what you mean to this community! :clap

Keep inspiring us.