Tilting at Windmills -- A Simple Getaway

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Animal Instinct, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Tsotsie,

Too humid for me in South TX.

Glad you would take time to visit a simple getaway.

Thanks for looking in.
  2. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    King of the Road ~Roger Miller

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It always feels good to leave but it feels great to come back home. A wonderful state and an even better state of mind. It's a good thing to go on an adventure now and then. The challenges, trials, and tribulations of any trip like this serve us to realign our purpose and bring us back to the present.

[​IMG]

The silence, the loneliness, and the isolation of our adventures shape our outlook on life once we find ourselves heading back home. The hardest part is walking out the door on Day 1 and getting on the bike. Saying good-bye to loved ones and routines; there is so much, I don't want to say risk, but, when your day to day life does not suck, it just isn't easy. Taking off is the hurdle that kind of just looms.

Get over it and go. I have never returned home thinking, "gosh, that was a waste of time." No matter what adversities may have popped up along the way, the journey has always delivered.

[​IMG]

The arrow lets one know that they are traveling along the Quanah Parker trail. :nod

[​IMG]

Long, straight, flat stretches here in west TX are the normal.

[​IMG]

I told you FF's to pay attention on Day 1. Not too many miles away from that historical marker in NM, here resides very similar information in TX. Kind of puts history in perspective.

Buffalo Soldier ~ Bob Marley

[​IMG]

Those Buffalo Soldiers fought, suffered, and died. As a result, ....this land is your land, this land is my land......

There is also another side to this story that many really never consider. So much to ponder as Yeller and I thump along the long, lonesome highway.

[​IMG]

Then the home stretch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And another adventure comes to a close. Thanks for riding along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 days
    2,121 miles
    Took off with $250.00 cash, returned with $102.00. Gas and beer went on the credit card.
    See you next time......
  3. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR, Scott. Barbara and I did some of the same roads through NM last year last year. We did from Tucumcari to Carrizozo,Roswell and back. Long, beautiful day. Fort Stanton and Lincoln were really nice. We went on over to Silver City and explored around the Gila Cliff Dwellings. IMG_6857.JPG IMG_6884.JPG IMG_6984.JPG
    Animal Instinct likes this.
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report, you gave us some good reminder of life. I do my best to enjoy every day and every ride. We are like .01 % that have that pleasure. cheers
    Animal Instinct and staticPort like this.
  5. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Humid? Nah! Just pick your seasons. Then, get out of the 'dirty unwashed public' areas into BB, River road (171), Davis Mtns and the fort there, 181 from near BB up to near Van Horn, and a wonderful tour of the observatory?

I too love the Anastasi, Havasupai, etc. history and areas. I presume that you have also ridden through and to Gila Cliff Dwellings and area, rode 152 up to 8000', as well as 78 (and the Apache National Forest) over into AZ and the Coronado Trail SW of where this ride took you?
  6. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done, Scott; simply outstanding!

A couple of lines stand out:

From Post #77 -- "Walking through ruins . . . always makes me wonder -- because there is no solid explanation as to where any of these people went. Vanished without a trace.

My plan is to live in the present and enjoy."

I'd like to add that one to my sig line, with attribution and your permission, of course.

And from Post #82 -- "No matter what adversities have popped up along the way, the journey has always delivered."

As has this report!

The Land of Enchantment is calling; can't wait to get back on those trails!
  7. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Cool beans. I would love to be able to spend a lot of time in that area.

[​IMG]
    bomose likes this.
  8. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey eaglescan,

Glad you would look in, friend. Is your bike a DR650 or a DR400? Hard to tell from your avatar. Enjoying each day is a choice that starts the moment you wake up. We all share similar struggles and unforeseen obstacles, but those of us that are fortunate enough to be able to hop on a bike and escape for an hour or for a rtw adventure absolutely have an advantage over the 99.09% that don't.

Ace in the Hole ~ George Strait

Best regards
  9. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    OK, I was comparing South TX humidity to AZ, where we lived for a wonderful year.

My sig line leads to an index of reports, but to answer you specifically:

Big Bend/Davis Mts:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tilting-at-windmills-west-of-the-pecos.975792/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tilting-at-windmills-a-bucket-list-bust.1344350/

Gila Cliff Dwellings:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tilting-at-windmills-in-sw-nm-and-se-az.1226119/

:nod :ricky
    bomose likes this.
  10. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:

Hey static,

No permission needed, friend. Thanks for visiting once again and I hope you make NM happen, sooner than later. Holler if your route takes you through my vicinity. It would be cool to log a few miles together!

Scott
    staticPort likes this.
  11. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used your report on NM and AZ to find places for Barb and me to go to last year. We even stayed in Payson and were going to ride the Mogollon Rim, but it turned cold.
  12. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    My ride is the orphan BMW X Challenge G650 from 2007 . Bought it new, got 940000 km on it.
    Lucky to be a snowbird for the last 12 years, and hit AZ a few times ,based mostly around Mesa .
    Only did a lot of day rides and back to the RV, but you have me thinking to do some multi day adv once the virus is beat. Right now the border is closed , maybe do more BC interior this summer.
  13. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great extra reading. Familiar with most of the areas having ridden them many times.

Did you get your oil consumption issues fixed? I have 103 K miles on my 08KLR, with about 98K with the 685 pistons. No oil issues.

Thank you!
  14. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    US-380 from Roswell, NM through Lincoln, NM to San Antonio, NM is a GREAT ride...
  15. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey David,

Payson is a nice place. Lots of traffic and congestion, though. We lived 13 miles north, in Pine, half way up to the rim. Crazy how different the weather could be along that stretch of the road.

Cool new avatar! :clap
    bomose likes this.
  16. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:

I totally agree, twowings. Hit I25 north for a short jaunt and then US60 west takes it to the next level. Just great to be on a bike out there, riding with no real purpose.

:ricky
    twowings likes this.
  17. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Wow eaglescan,

I hope you parked your RV at Lost Dutchman SP! It is a spectacular spot to camp. :nod

If you didn't get a chance to ride along the Apache Trail, here is what you might have found.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tilting-at-windmills-along-the-apache-trail.1025569/

Not sure if all the dialogue came through with the ADV upgrade, but I feel like all the pics are there. Have a look.

Fuel for thought.
    eaglescan likes this.
  18. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    You are fortunate to have had the opportunity to ride along those roads less traveled. I am thankful for what I was blessed with as well. :wave

My 685 piston really worked well with Red for about 40K miles and then the oil addiction started back up. When I traded Red for the Polaris 570 Sportsman the consumption was back to a liter per 1000 miles. Red ran like a top, just needed the bottle.

Hence, Yeller.

I also promised myself if I came out of the colo-rectal cancer ordeal above ground I would get a new KLR. Long term plan was to make '09 Red last 10 years and get a new KLR. When Kawasaki quit making them in 2018 it forced me to take action.

Kind of funny, but a fuel injected 250 is looking interesting at this point. Throw it in the back of the truck along with the camping gear and do out and back rides kind of like what eaglescan does, without the maintenance and cost for an RV.

I am a tight wad.
    Tsotsie, eaglescan and i4bikes like this.
  19. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    I have stayed at Usery Mountian SP, near the Dutchman . Rode AP trail in both directions . First time was from Roosevelt dam, we had just done the Four Peaks. I broke down just after top of Fish creek hill. Wire fell of the ignition switch.
    Second trip was from Apache Junction to the dam , then Globe and home. It is great ride in either direction. Yes, RV 's cost $ ,but I have been lucky to do winters for 12 years , 3 to 4 months at a time, so we needed some space ! Mines 35 ft long, and haul the MC on a rack at the back. Going to check out you RR now. Steve
    Animal Instinct and i4bikes like this.