Tilting at Windmills Along the Apache Trail

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Animal Instinct, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Sweet....haven't been on the Apache Trail in 20+ years.
  2. LosAlrider

LosAlrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And while you are there, cross the highway to ride Sycamore Canyon. It's even shorter than the Mt. Ord road. Beautiful scenery and paved.
  3. BullShatter

BullShatter Gringo

Oddometer:
    Scott,

Looks like the road between Canyon Lake and Lake Roosevelt was in great shape. I can't stand the paved section between Apache Junction and Canyon Lake, the pavement is worse than then a dirt washboard road.

You moved to a great area of the state with some fantastic places to ride. take advantage and enjoy.

Great Pics by the way!
  4. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy Hiatus,

Yep, it was a great ride. In February, I imagine things will look quite different along the Apache Trail. Dropping down from Pine, I was amazed at all the leaves still on the trees. I'm new to AZ, but would wager that Feb. is a fine time to ride in that area.

Thanks for looking in.

With regards,

Scott

Hey Yooper_Bob,

Glad you could join me on my first visit to the Apache Trail. I'm going back, but in the opposite direction.

Noob Arizonian,

Scott
  5. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, LosAlrider,

I had to go down to Phoenix a couple days ago and had my eyes out for the "Mt. Ord" sign when I saw it and the Sycamore Canyon arrow pointing westward. I plan to do them both in one fell swoop.

Maybe tomorrow.

Scott

You can't shat an old BullShatter,

Man, you really nailed it. That paved section is like washboard, only the peaks and valleys are spaced further apart. O.K., my only complaint was the highline wires....

....and I'll stick with that. The humpy-bumpy asphalt was a minor nuisance, and it did not go without notice, but a small price to pay.

It's so beautiful along that road. Such variation and such magnificent views. Wow.

You also nailed the "great area of the state," as well.

Take off from Pine and your ears are popping no matter what direction pulls you.

Appreciate you looking in.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Scott
  6. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    February 4, 2015

The weather was prime, so Lois and I decided to visit the Apache Trail from the opposite direction. We headed out just after 10am.

[​IMG]

AZ 87 coming down into Payson from Pine.

[​IMG]

South of Payson, and just south of Rye, AZ we headed east towards Gisela on FR 417 then immediately south on FR 184. On a side note, the paved road into Gisela is a nice ride and you can take unpaved FR 208 from Gisela back north and loop around to reconnect with AZ 87 a little south of Payson if you like riding through sandy washes and up rocky and stepped climbs on narrow shelf road. We did that loop a couple months ago, I kept stopping, wanting to turn around, but Lois kept giving me the “keep going” signal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stopped at an old bridge. Nice seeing water flowing in Rye Creek.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Then we were heading south on AZ 188, towards Roosevelt Lake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To the Apache Trail, AZ 88.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Then we took off again, down the Apache Trail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was the perfect day to be here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don’t you agree?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    kicked up a little dust, but well worth the price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So great to have LA along for this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soon enough, we were back to the pavement which was great fun to ride. Twisty but a little rough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couple of neat bridges.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then onward to Apache Junction, AZ. We visited with our friend, John Downs, for about an hour and headed back to Pine, AZ via Usery Pass, Bush Highway, and Beeline Highway.

[​IMG]

A clear shot of Four Peaks. There’s some really great riding back in there.

[​IMG]

…..but that’s for another day and another report. We covered 200 miles in just over 7 hours today.

And it was wonderful.
  11. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see you and Lois out enjoying the scenery again. I've been missing y'all.
  12. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    It's really good to hear from you.

Somewhere along the road less traveled, we were following the same RR and you reported you had a visit to the local cardiac care unit -- we kept you in our thoughts -- hope you're hitting on all cylinders now.

We're still in transition here. Lois (type AA+) is still learning to take it easy.

"It's a skill." ~ JDowns

We did a 7 mile hike today. It took the edge off, a little.:lol3

Our current situation is that a 1-2 week getaway is not likely, so we plan to take day trips here and there and share our findings with the ADV community that might help fellow FF's plot an adventure if they're in the area.

Heck man, I've ridden all over the place around here in mid-winter but failed to take any pics. My immediate intention is to start sharing the roads and the landscapes on those short jaunts.

Really good hearing from you. Give Barbara our best.

Scott & Lois
  13. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your rides. Yeah, I got a pacemaker and am doing well. Seems strange to have run all my life and have heart troubles.
  14. TSSRA

TSSRA KTM 350 Rider

Oddometer:
    I've only crossed Arizona on the super slab. Obviously, missing a tremendous amount of beautiful country. Thanks for the report and all the great pictures!
  15. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey TSSRA from Tennessee,

Thanks for looking in. There's nothing wrong with slabbing it across this beautiful state -- it's amazing no matter how you look at it. There is so much history and so many ecosystems no matter what direction you take.

Hopefully, over time, I can give folks an idea what awaits just beyond the well beaten path. Just today, LA and I took off east on AZ 260 and wound up on a great road heading into Hellsgate Wilderness that dead ended at a trail head for Bear Flat. Met a neat couple down there that owned a KTM 1190 Adventure. Talked, exchanged contact info, and plan to ride some roads together before long.

What a great day!

Regards,

Scott & Lois
  16. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Well I missed this when you started it. Hope to read about more of your day trips in the future.
  17. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this post. Home sweet home to me.
  18. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hey bluestar,

Thanks for looking in. There are so many great places to see here and I hope to share/encourage others to get out and ride the road less traveled. It's so easy to get in a hurry and settle for the interstate, not that the views from there are lacking. I just like to take the backroads.

Howdy K7TNT,

You're welcome. I hope to bring some more Home Sweet Home photos to this forum sooner than later.:wink:

Keep checkin' in.
  19. Maky

Maky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR and pics!

Thanks for taking us along!

That area looks quite familiar. I remember crossing Fish Creek. Not quite sure where it got it's name. Hell, there wasn't any water in it. :rofl

And yes those power lines criss-cross throughout. I don't think I have any pictures without them.

I hope to be out there in a few weeks. :clap
  20. Animal Instinct

Oddometer:
    Hi Maky,

Hope you make it out this way in a week or two. I'm heading out to Buckskin Mountain SP tomorrow. The camera is charged and I'm eager to take some pics. I'll be an assistant at La Paz County Park in Parker, "Take-A-Kid-Fishing." I'm looking forward to the trip and to watching kids catch fish....

....well, and the ride out there and back. I intend to put another "Day Trippin'" report together. We'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I changed the oil and oil filter on Red this afternoon. I replaced the air filter -- I have two in order to make a quick change like this easy. Me and Red will probably be riding on pavement for a long stretch, so I WD/40'd and cleaned the chain with a toothbrush as well.

I just don't know whether to start a new "Day Trippin'" report or stick it on the end of this one....

....I'm leaning towards a new report. I'll see what suits once I get back. It's just so good to be taking off again.

Thanks for lookin' in, Maky

Kindest Regards,

Scott