Time to check your generators. Specifically, check the fuel line for cracking.

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Mambo Dave, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Flashdog

Flashdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few years ago we bought one of the Harbor Freight 0.9 kw 2-stroke Tailgater generators for the camper.
    $89 and will run a few lights, fans, the fridge and the tv/modem. I only use pre-mix 40:1. A bit rich, it's supposed to be 50:1. Two maybe three pulls and she fires right up. It was a lot cheaper and quieter than running the 5.5kw at 10 gallons a day! Hell, the 5.5kw only got fired up to run the water heater for short periods or a window shaker a/c unit at night.
    It's no Honda, but at $89 and $20 in fuel it is a minimal yet effective option. Oh, and have a spark plug or two on hand. It's not a Honda....
    Mambo Dave and Buzztail like this.
  2. Flashdog

Oddometer:
    One pull. I'm running it under load with a 1500w ceramic heater hooked up. 20190829_184226.jpg
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  3. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Those $89 HF gens are exactly what this thread was about. How you changed the fuel line on it yet? If not, you're playing with fire. They were cheap fuel lines to begin with, and 'a few years' is all mine took to have a cracked fuel line.
    rider1150gsadv and Buzztail like this.
  4. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    Seems like a great little bike for examining post-storm area damage. Wonder if anyone makes a snorkle for the intake for it?
  5. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    Thank you, but anyone can tell ya that I'm the one of the last ADV'ers to me anal-retentive about keeping threads on track, lol :lol3

As in all things ADV, the thread can wander and waiver, but it'll eventually get back on track each new hurricane season when folks need reminded that generators need maintenance - especially the cheap HF generators.
  6. Flashdog

Oddometer:
    Soft, not swollen or cracked. It's never had ethanol gas in and I run it dry every time. I do have various fuel lines on hand and spark plugs.
    My after storm rubbernecking bike is an 82' Honda Passport. With bicycle puncture guards from Walmart in the tires. A milk crate on the back. 'Natch.
    Buzztail and Mambo Dave like this.
  7. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    Mine never had ethanol in it, either. Cracked from the outside.

Just so you know - when you need to order parts for it (and you will - the HF build is beyond cheap... keep it well away from the house and structures when using it), it is basically a copy of a Yamaha ET950. I just ordered an ET950 part for mine since that part completely disintegrated as well.
    Davebert and Flashdog like this.
  8. Flashdog

Oddometer:
    Great info. Thanks. My 5.5kw Troy Bilt needed fuel lines after the first year. Its 15 years old and has hundreds of hours on it. It gets Mobile1 v-twin 20w-50 every 48 hours of running time. Its nowhere near what is expected. An oil change every 12 hours according to the manual. Stand golden and clear when I change it. I did install an inline fuel filter and a magnetic drain plug.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  9. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM must have written the maintenance book on that one!
    Hatch, Davebert, Mambo Dave and 2 others like this.
  10. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neighbors a few doors down couldn't get their 2 off-brand ones to start. They originally came to neighbor across the street for advice as he's a fleet mechanic for local municipal, but he was dealing with securing items from ongoing construction for a pool. Sent them my way. Pulled the carbs off, looked like they had sat in the bottom of a sediment pool for 10 years. Threw the body and bowl without even pulling anything out into the ultrasonic cleaner I picked up a few weeks back; 45 min later threw them back on, cleaned the plugs, pulled the cords 2 dozen times with no plug to get any excess junk from the cylinder out, threw the carbs back on and 1 pull later, each one hummed away. Took $50 from them, rather than someone likely charging them $125 for the hour of work I put in for each one. Every now and then feels good to make something rumble again, even if I have 3 projects in my garage with 0 progress in 6+ months.
    Hatch, Philip Kuntz, Dr.Z and 7 others like this.
  11. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    If that's not standup Angel Wings-earning i don't know what is :bow
    Dr.Z, Mambo Dave and Buzztail like this.
  12. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I finally dragged mine out yesterday afternoon. Hadn't started it since shutting it down after Irma. Opened the fuel tap, waited a minute, pulled the choke, turned on the ignition, one pull & it was humming like a baby. Let it run for a few then closed the fuel tap let it go till it quit. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.
  13. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    How long did it take to wax? :ear
  14. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Dang it! I knew I forgot to do something yesterday, but couldn't put my finger on it.

:ksteve
    rider1150gsadv and Buzztail like this.
  15. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Upgraded the fuel tank on my suitcase gen. Now external 2 gal should run for around 15hrs with max load. Econ setting extending that significantly.

Eliminated the vacuum fuel pump and a lot of plumbing. Can't beat gravity feed.
    Mambo Dave, Flashdog and Buzztail like this.
  16. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ :nod
  17. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    My new tank was deeper and longer. Had to get my engineer hat out and do some tweaking to the mounting set up. I’ve now got run all night capacity for when I hate everyone in ear shot

743D6D99-2CC1-49D1-9C6C-AED55249E83D.jpeg
    rider1150gsadv and Mambo Dave like this.
  18. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Dickbeaters to the rescue!:lol2
    Buzztail likes this.
  19. Hatch

Hatch It's a bit loud, mmhmm

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one who can't sleep without white noise - and consequently loves to fall asleep to the hum of a generator?

Granted, the harbor freight noise machines or a poorly maintained one that rattles or surges is no good, but your typical setup is music to my ears in the deafening silence when the power is out. Especially when it's running a nice noisy box fan to keep me from sweating at midnight
    Philip Kuntz likes this.
  20. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Got any more details on your new tank? I happen to have the same gen.