Timing Problem

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by jsrider, May 6, 2006.

1. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    After completing the ignition rotor and cylinder head nut bulletins, and checking my valves, I put my bike back together. When I fire it up, it idles for a few seconds, then backfires and stalls. I seem to have screwed up the timing. I was very careful to do the bulletins one bolt/nut at a time. I carefully checked the cams to make sure I reinstalled them properly according to the timing marks on the camshaft gears. Any thoughts on where to look next?
  2. coyote

coyote gagger of lollies

Oddometer:
    Did you lock the crankshaft when you did the valve shims?
  3. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Did one cylinder at a time. Did the ignition rotor before removing any valve covers. Went back and checked TDC for each cylinder by putting a metal rod down the plug hole.
  4. coyote

coyote gagger of lollies

Oddometer:
    Vacuum leak?
  5. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I did notice that part of the rubber fitting between airbox and rear intake manifold had gotten pushed under the airbox when I reassembled the bike, but my local wrenching friend didn't think that would cause this problem. Could he be wrong?

When I first tried to start the bike, it wouldn't idle at all. I left it alone overnight, then tried the next morning. That's when it started backfiring and appearing to exhaust back up the carbs.
  6. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like he was. Put the airbox and carbs back on and the bike runs like a champ. Moral of the story: be really careful when putting hoses and grommets back together. A little silicone grease goes a long way. From my experience so far, reassembling the airbox/carbs is the hardest part of working on this bike.
  7. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    :clap .