Tin Horn to the Klondike and beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Dec 11, 2016.

1. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    So, yesterday I assembled my static balancer and got ready for putting on a new tire. Got my bike up on the center stand with the help of a floor jack. Tried to take off the axel nut (24mm) with a closed end wrench. Not enough torque. I have a 1/2 inch breaker bar but no 24mm socket. Autozone to the rescue. With the wheel off I had an hour wrestling match with beads. Note to self: get a better bead tool. With the tire balanced and inflated. I am taking a break before re-installing the tire. I included a photo of a tireless Rita and a topless Rita.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Taff1 and rubline like this.
  2. gpax

Oddometer:
    I am leaning towards Mitas E07. But to tell you the truth my experience is skin deep. I bought the bike with worn out Bridgestone Trailwings. Today I installed a Shinko 705 on the rear wheel as a temporary solution. It has been recommended that I mount new tires before leaving for Alaska.

All of the custom seat places are essentially the same. My Voyager seat is comfortable. Rita's seat was okay for a few miles but long distance day after day should be much more comfortable with a custom seat. At least that is the theory.

I take Rita in tomorrow for a new stator.

3. gpax

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Tire changed. Tomorrow at 9:30 I have an appointment to change the stator.

Seven hours to change one tire and smashed hands. Okay, scratch the motion pro bead breakers from my tool kid. No way I would do this on the road.

rubline and willys like this.
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which bead breaker do you have? The blue plastic chisel? I love that tool, I use it to take off my car and pick up tires with, once you get the hang of it it's perfect! If you don't want it, I'll take it...lol
  5. gpax

Oddometer:
    No. Not the chisel. Aluminum Motion Pro Bead Breakers. I'll keep them. Just not carry them for roadside maintenance.

6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy that blue plastic chesel for on road repairs, light weight and cheap, but does take up a bit of space due to the blade size...but you can use it carefully with a rock!
    I;m an old tireman and it works perfectly to egt under the bead easily, even dry but if you add some lube anything it is very good....plus once you have taken the tires off once or twice for practice the job will be far easier....trust me....the chisel works beter with a hammer, but a rock will work in a pinch BUT it may break the head which protects your hands off...as mine did.....but mine had seen penty of shop work before that happened. I used it to change tires here for my customers for years! So it may have been brittle by then???
  7. gpax

Oddometer:
    Rita is in surgery now. Rode her to the dealer with a rolled up rug in place of her seat. They will call when the stator is replaced. This is the first of two weeks it takes Russell DL to build my seat. Then the buildup for Alaska begins.

rubline and willys like this.
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you find out what it would have cost you if it wasn't covered...????
  9. gpax

Oddometer:
    Lovely Rita is home resting in the garage with her new stator waiting for her new Russell DL seat. 111 days until May 17th.

10. gpax

Oddometer:
    Sorry. I forgot to ask.

11. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think roughly $300
  12. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's $300 saved to go towards the next farkles...lol
    HuskerBlue likes this.
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    I still have a $500 + bill for a custom seat and $300 for new tires to pay for before May. I don't want to push the envelope too far. I have my Chief Financial Officer to deal with. I still have a pedal bike in the garage and she could shove me off on it. LOL

willys likes this.
  14. gpax

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Those Vistaprint folks are fast. I found when I use my cards as an amateur photographer people are more at ease that I am legit taking photos. I figure the same for traveling on my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in Pensacola last spring having a look around....lol. I have a buddy who winters in Mobile and went to visit him....nice place. Not sure i'd like it in the summer as much when the heat gets turned up!...lol But was a nice place to drive around spending a few days. Then off to the Keys to see what they are like. Maybe one day I'll ride down?
  16. gpax

Oddometer:
    Now you've got three hots and a cot (Navy for a bed and meals) in Pensacola. (That's an invitation). We've got a lot of cool stuff over here. And plenty of room. My wife is a Pensacola girl which explains why I live here. I am from the hills and am a prime example of you can take a boy out of the hills but you can't take the hills out of the boy. I've got to go up to the hills at least a couple times a year. Usually April and October.

Now back to Pensacola. I hate the heat from the beginning of June until the beginning of September. Oppressive is an understatement. 95 degrees F (35 C) everyday. 99 percent humidity, plenty of Thunderstorms and possible Hurricanes. But the shoulder seasons are great and winters are mild. Plan on stopping in on your next trip to the Gulf Coast!

willys likes this.
  17. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind coming down the next time when it's not too hot and the water is warm enough to dip a toe in without reminding me of up here...lol. Plus you'd get the touristy feel...lol. I bought an old Atlas lathe last winter and started watching a machinist in Pensacola who does you tube clips showing how to make stuff....He goes to the local flea markets and finds deals..something that is interesting if you can get past the junk that is..lol. I went to a few in Pensacola when i was there....butdidn't find much or something worth taking home. I did walk the peer and watch the locals catching fish, not sure if they knew what a limit was...lol.

Thank you for the offer, I'll keep you in mind for the next trip for sure.
    I'm sure we'll meet in Dawson ....see you there...
  18. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a trip last spring from Nebraska to New Orleans, then along the "redneck Riviera" to Pensacola, up through Alabama, Kentucky etc. April, had great weather, saw many cool towns - Fairhope Alabama was a pleasant surprise. Traveled along the gulf coast most of the way on the little keys, speed limits as low as 25 mph.
  19. gpax

Oddometer:
    I love Fairhope. April, May, September and October are my favorite months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HuskerBlue likes this.
  20. gpax

Oddometer: