Tin Horn to the Klondike and beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Dec 11, 2016.

1. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get your bear bangers here....over here....bear bangers....get now while they're hot....bear bangers......lol
  2. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was on a camping trip I met a fellow on a bicycle who was going to ride through B.C. then the Yukon and finally to Alaska. He told me that a lot of times he just hiked a ways off the road and set his camp up in the bush.
    He told me that he planned to fire a bear banger off to scare away any bears that might be close to his campsite.
    I told him that anywhere near the Jasper Park boundaries that is a very BAD idea. As the banger sounds like a gunshot and that is like ringing the dinner Bell for grizzlies. The bears have learned that a gun shot often resulted in a downed elk and the bears come and clean up the gut pile from the elk being dresses out. I know of one hunter that was chased off his elk kill by a very large grizzly. He told me that the bear simply walked up to the elk and grabbed it with his teeth then flipped it over his shoulder and walked away with it.
    The German fellow turned a bit white and said he would not be firing any bear bangers in that area.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
  3. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Tailoring my tool kit I was looking for an oil filter wrench for my 2014 DL650A. $25 OEM. Found the same filter wrench at Pep Boys ( part number A255) for $5. Fits perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. gpax

Oddometer:
    Are bears a problem in established campgrounds of Jasper NP? I think Whistlers CG was the one I was considering.

5. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Gpax
    As it is a park the same a Yellowstone and other parks in the United. STATES. and Canada there are bears that live there. They are not a problem as long as people follow some simple rules.
    1. NEVER store food in your tent.
    2. If you cook outside clean up well after your self don't leave food traces around.
    I have camped in Jasper and Banff many times and I have almost always seen bears but I have NEVER been bothered by them.
    The people that have problems are the stupid ones that think they are a tame animal. They forget that they are wild and somewhat unpredictable.
    The bears usually are not looking to interact with people they just want to carry on doing what bears do.
    I would not be concerned.
    One thing people forget is how fast they can run and if you see one on the side of the road they can be crossing in front of you very fast.

willys and gpax like this.
  6. gpax

Oddometer:
    Makes sense to me. Thanks. Know anything about Redstreak CG in Kootenay NP?

7. gpax

Oddometer:
    Russell DL seat called for payment today. My seat is on its way back to Florida due here on February 7th. Also ordered LED headlights from Cyclops today. H4 3800 lumens. Will cut headlight power consumption by more than half while increasing light.

rubline likes this.
  8. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    My funniest bear encounter was at a forestry campsite (Picnic tables and fire ring no attendent) at a place called Morice Lake. It is about 95 km down a forestry road from Houston B.C.
    A buddy of mine had spent the day fishing and we just pulled into shore the same time an older couple did.
    As we walked back to our campsites there was a very large black bear bouncing his front paws off of a cooler that was on the seat of the picnic table.
    It was their campsite....The lady who was a lot shorter than her husband grabbed his arm at the elbow and started shouting.....George....George ....get our cooler....get our cooler he is going to wreck it.
    Now George smoked a pipe and he started very calmy filling it and getting it lit.
    Then he said in a low calm voice....Honey it's not our cooler...it's his Fucking cooler and I will get it when he is darn well done with it.....
    About that time the bear knocked the cooler off the picnic table seat and when it hit the ground it popped open and a pound of bacon fell out.
    The bear picked up the bacon and headed for the hills.
    George then said....Honey it is now once again our cooler.
    As there were only them and my buddy and I camped there I went to my truck and got my rifle and fired a few shots at a stump and the bear never returned for the eggs to go with the bacon for the 4 days we were there.
    [​IMG]

Attached is a pic of the lake

duckman44 likes this.
  9. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    I have been in the area but never stayed at Redstreak so unfortunately I don't have any information on it.

10. gpax

Oddometer:
    Took all my cases off the bike and tried to fill them today. Remember 1/2 of one pannier (saddlebag) is a battery and CPAP medical machine. Was able to get everything in. Still have too much stuff. My tent, tarp and duffel bag get strapped on. So far, so good.
  11. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it is coming together for you gpax. Getting to be like a kid waiting for Christmas to come in bet.

12. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bears are a serious thing to think about, because IF you do not you will have a problem with them...IMHO. You can't cook as far as i'm concerned in your camp at night unless it's simply heating up food and not grilling or frying fish etc. Bears ca smell the food inside a can by the processing of the food before it goes into the can....just that small amount of food scent left on the can in the production processing. Same as many dogs and other animals can do the same...but bears have a special knack at doing this. IF you carry cans of food I suggest bleaching them before you carry or pack them away if carrying them for a while. I carry a weeks worth of food at the start of our trips simply because I usually have space and I personally do not have to shell out to buy that food from my trip funds....yep I'm strange..lol. Like i have said before I eat only food I can eat up within a boil pot of water....cans of beans, stews, or porrage....nothing else. I also try not to eat where I camp when in the wilds. At night that is....for obvius reasons. Also, think about the canning process and how long the odor stays on the cans and how well a bear can still smell it inside the can. So, think about you cooking your evening meals and you are cooking up something other than the type of food I cook, something that may produce some splatter, strong odors etc...this odor clings to your clothing, which you then take into your tent at night without any thought for what is happening. A bear simply folows the smell not knowing if it's a can or a sweater or jacket? He simply folows the smell of food. IF he's that interested ...just saying. I watched a documentary on this topic one day, sorry a few years ago now. It was eye opening to say the least!!!!

So always think about bears!

I also hadnt heard of the dinner bell type thing about grizzlies before but it makes sense as bears are very smart!...makes sense.

You can't dismiss bears at all...as said they are a wild animal even though sometimes they seem safe enough...I have seen bears go through a forested area at full speed when scared once by us driving up to it and the other by a bear banger to scare it off.....into bush you couldn't find a place to push yourself through....and it was instant...they simply bolted! There is no way you could even change direction to start running away IF that bear wanted to seriously get your ass. I was shocked.
    It's your life or safety, act accordingly is all I can say about it...imho bear bangers work well...so far for me anyway. You have to simply have to aim the banger between you and the bear....and hopefully it will run away...as they did with me.
    Sorry for the long winded reply...
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    I've had 10 knee surgeries and after having both knees totally replaced I broke my knee cap ... twice. I bought a 200cc scooter because I couldn't get my leg over a motorcycle saddle. It was great and fit in the truck but I wanted something with more umph. So I bought a Maxi-scooter (650cc). In November 2015 I rode it up to Virginia and down the whole Blue Ridge Parkway. I realized I liked to travel on my scoot but it wasn't really meant for traveling. My knees were healing and with practice I could get my leg over a MC saddle. My friends ride Harley's and wanted me to travel with them. I bought a Voyager for about half price in July of this rear and rode it 5000 miles in September on a 15 day trip to Michigan from Florida. Looking on YouTube I was interested in motorcycling. I became a follower of Tim Tew's travels. I contacted him with a thousand questions. With his help and guidance I bought a used V-storm 650 in November and have been outfitting it ever since while I plan on my greatest adventure yet. I am 67 so I am not waiting for next year. Motorcycles have been absent from my life since 1975 until this past July. I am not wasting any time. People here think I am crazy and I should stay on the front porch in a rocking chair. I say fooey on them.
    rubline and willys like this.
  14. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Gpax I don't think you are crazy for following your soul. I turn 65 in Feb and I would not want to have to hang up my helmet. You are very fortunate to be able to have the time and the funds to take this trip you are planning.
    I don't know any old farts that sit around and say they wish they had done less when they had a chance.
    Follow your heart because when we never know how much time we have left.

Willys
    The first time I fired a bear banger it was an interesting experience.
    As I spent a lot of time fly fishing alone on a river that was frequented by bears when the salmon were running I thought it was a good idea to have a bear banger.
    So one day I was standing in the river fishing and there was narrow bank behind me with a bit of a cliff.
    I had waded down the river to get there.
    There was a nice pool with a tail out and I had caught fish there before.
    About 100 feet away a black bear came out of the bush and was walking towards me. I thought it would be a good time to try the bear banger.
    As I had not fired one yet I had no idea how far they traveled or exactly what would happen. So I waited as the bear approached in a none threatening manner. Finally when it was fairly close I thought I should point it towards the bear and let it rip.
    So I fired it towards the bear.
    However it went past the bear and exploded behind him.
    I had no idea that a bear could accelerate that fast from a standing start. He ran right past me and when he looked at me his eyes were huge with a look of....We should get the H out of here...on his face.
    If I had been standing on the bank he would have run over me and that would not have been pleasant.
    So the lesson here is to fire the bear banger when the bear is still a ways away.
    I have had numerous interactions with bears over the years and some have been very interesting.
    I am always amazed at how smart they are.

willys likes this.
  15. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well said Oldgriz....you must try them out first before having to actually use one..that way you realize what they do and how far they fly before exploding for the second time. Once when set off, then about a hundred yards out..so as you say, if you send it beyond the bear he runs away from it, which will mean you will become aquaited...so to speak!

I too have seen the colour of a grizzly's eyes at almost an arms length from me...he simply decided i wasn't worth the effort I think...and YES I shit myself too!
    But it had nothing to do with bangers then it simply walked down a cliff face and walked past me to get where it was going....yellowy gold is the colour IF you are wondering...lol
  16. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When dealing with Bears it is helpful to recognize which species you are having an encounter with. Grizzly/Brown bear attack you are better off playing dead. A black bear attack you are better off fighting the bear to the very end. When black bears attack humans they are looking to eat you. Grizzly/Browns are more likely to be defending territory. When a mamma and cubs are involved best not to be between them no matter what the species.

-Mark
  17. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    I met a fellow at a bear aware course once that had spent two years doing something that not many would do.
    Him and another fellow had tagged female bears with GPS trackers.
    What they did was in the late winter when the bear was in hibernation they tracked the bear to its den.
    He then climbed in the den and removed any Cubs or new borns.
    He took the Cubs out of the den and they weighed them and took blood samples. Then placed a gps tracker on some of the Cubs.
    After that was done he placed the Cubs back in the den.
    They did NOT carry a rifle !!!!!!
    He said the mother sow bear would huff and puff at him and Snap her teeth but at no time were they attacked or hurt.
    I asked him what insane asylum he had escaped from.....
    He told me that the dangerous black bears are the 3 year old males that have been kicked out by mom and are trying to establish a territory. Other older bears will chase them away and they are like teenagers trying to prove themselves...then a person comes along and the bear thinks.. I can take that on.. then the trouble starts.

The only bear I had trouble with was a young male that stalked me for several miles when I was on a hike.
    When it started coming within 30 feet of me I finally raised my hands above my head and as loud as I can screamed at the bear and ran towards it.
    I am 6 ft 5 and 280 lbs and I actually scared the bear away.
    I was afraid if I kept turning my back on it the bear would charge me.

I have had one close call with a grizzly sow and 3 beautiful Cubs and I am still alive only because she decided to call it a draw and teach her Cubs to leave people alone.

18. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey....to each their own but i wouldn't personally get that close to amother bear and cubs for all the money in china....I bet the reason she allowed it was she was in hibernation mode and half asleep..I don't know....but that sounds to me like suicide for sure!!!
    Yes I have heard that making oneself as big as possible is best and acting stronger than you are is key also....I'm game for that up to a point...lol. The point ends when i see the bear realize his balls are larger than mine!
    Then the bangers come out in a hurry if not already set off! Correctly. Confrontation dealt with without incident..imho. don't allow it to get to the WTF stage..lol.
    I have always wondered what would happen IF you were knocked down to the ground and you had the banger loaded and you managed to let it off into the mouth of the bear? Yes very unlikely but what if? Yes bad for bear, but would it be enough do you think? Yes a silly idea and not something I would try to replicate to find out..simply a question.
    Would the banger deal with bear before it went insane and ripped you to streads?

There ya go...what's the thoughts?
  19. gpax

Oddometer:
    Speaking of bears. I am having a bear of a time scheduling in a ferry ride from Whittier to Valdez on July 14th. Looks like back to the drawing boards (planning). $59 for me. $126 for Rita. And I am getting off with an old guy discount. Too bad I can't just ride the ferry over and back.

Available Departure - $185.00
    Whittier - Valdez Departs Whitter
    Mon Jul 10, 1:30 pm
    Tue none
    Wed Jul 12, 1:30 pm
    Thur none
    Fri none
    Sat none
    Sun Jul 16, 1:30 pm
  20. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    gpax - great thread! I too travel with a cpap and find your info about camping/biking with a cpap very helpful. thanks!