Tin Horn to the Klondike and beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Dec 11, 2016.

1. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    I had my friend over yesterday. We were looking at how to tie down the battery in the pannier (saddle bag) and where to place the solenoid. I hope to put an SAE plug on the pannier to run a 25' battery tender SAE cable to my tent for the cpap. I need to be able to remove the battery for charging in my hotel room from wall power when I can. I'll post photos of our wiring job when it is complete. My seat is due on Feb 7th. After I install the seat I will take Rita to his house where he has a top notch motorcycle garage. Then we will ready the bike for my trip.
    rubline and Tewster2 like this.
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    HuskerBlue and willys like this.
  3. gpax

Oddometer:
  4. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Me. My self and three friends are running them on our ride to the top this summer. I read that the new tread depth is 10mm. I have 4,000 miles on a new rear and the tread depth now is 7mm...so...1333 miles per mm of wear equals = about 13,000 miles till it's bald :thumb
    HuskerBlue likes this.
  6. gpax

Oddometer:
    Announcement. Now hear this! Now hear this! 100 days until launch day! Tomorrow I become a double digit midget!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Linky no work.
    That said, I've done 3 rides north to Ak with k60's on my r100gs loaded an never had a problem, 3 other to Ak using tkc80's and the other 4 to Ak with Metzeler Karoo's, Tourances etc... Never a problem.
    They all have their plus an minus's.
    Back in 2013 I managed to ride my Sherpa to Panama and back to Wa state on a set of TKC80's fully loaded as well.
    YMMV
    HuskerBlue likes this.
  8. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I had to choose today I think those would be my selection - love my Pilot 4's on my RT and these look just aggressive enough for the slippery stuff that's not too deep - my impression anyway.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep, tire selection can be a slippery slope and lead to endless arguments....all tires are a compromise....I choose a tire that will work well for the majority of the miles on a ride and then adapt and overcome (slow down) when conditions are not good.
    willys and HuskerBlue like this.
  10. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have my tire choices and stick with them, period....I simple figure out how far they normally go, then either carry or suffer the cost of buying the same if possible along the way.....as stated above....tires, oil and personal opinions about just about anything can get under someone else's skin which can destroy a possible frienship.....so best to read and then make the best choices for your own circumstances....no-one ever agrees....we simply accept your decissions...lol
  11. gpax

Oddometer:
    I am sitting here waiting on the delivery of my custom seat. I used this time to install my cyclops led headlights. I'll be clear. My main objective was to lower power demands for charging my 18AH deep cycle AGM battery for my CPAP machine on the bike. We will mount and wire my solenoid next week at my friends garage. But today I installed LED headlights. Pretty simple now that I've figured out how to do it. Unplug power plug, take off the rubber boot, flip the retaining spring and lift out the OEM bulb. Easy peasy!

Take the cyclops apart. Photo instructions included. Put the plate in the headlight mount. Replace the rubber boot. Stick in the cyclops (twist into place) and replug the power plug. Sounds easy. Not so fast. Bulb wouldn't lock in place. Hmmm... too much rubber in the boot. Take it all apart. Trim. Try again. Trim. Try again. Finally it fits outside the bike.

Then it still will not go together in the bike. Remove the works. Trim some more boot. Reinstall and rejoice. It fits! Plug in power. Turn the key. Behold. Bright light!

Now the second one takes less than 10 minutes. Pulled the boot and trimmed it first. Bingo. Goes right together. And we have two LED headlights. Just need to cable tie the wires.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HuskerBlue, rubline and willys like this.
  12. gpax

Oddometer:
    Turned on national news and my neighborhood was featured. 10 miles to the left two women were murdered. 10 miles to the right a pregnant girl was shot. And across the river another woman was killed. I am waiting for UPS with my three good sized dogs and my old buddies Smith and Wesson. Police need to find them. The whole town is on edge.

willys likes this.
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    The fun just grows. Severe thunderstorm warning and tornado watch. Tornados on the ground west of us in Louisiana.

14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    When it rains it pours...lol
    Might help wash some of the filth away with any luck...?
  15. gpax

Oddometer:
    Neither tornados nor killers on the loose will stop the appointed rounds of the UPS delivery man! My Russell seat was delivered a few minutes ago. I was like a kid at Christmas. Installed it on Rita and mounted the bike. I sit a little higher but I have thick soles on my SIDI Adventure boots. Could not go for a ride. Lightning popping everywhere. Take her for a ride tomorrow.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Seat looks great!
  17. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I really like that seat! Very nice...
    willys likes this.
  18. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic!
    What type of top material is that?

I bet she's soft and comphy!!!! Damn!
    I have always wondered if they install a normal couch type spring or two arched sideways to keep those two saddle wings strong...? Do you know? Every time i see one close up I get thinking it's time to build another seat! and copy this style, damn!
    rubline likes this.
  19. gpax

Oddometer:
    The fabric is Sunbrella. It matches my lazy boy recliner without the TV of course. I just hope I don't fall asleep on my bike like I do in my recliner. Russell tries to explain their suspension system on their website. http://day-long.com/ I wasn't sure after I read it. But it is guaranteed. I doubt they have built one for a behind as big as mine. We'll see.

willys and rubline like this.
  20. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking good

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk