Tin Horn to the Klondike and beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Dec 11, 2016.

1. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Well I put a firm stake in the ground. I have a $185 ticket so all other plans will be made around July 12th for me. You do know that the ferry is not scheduled to run every day. The next Whittier to Valdez ferry is not scheduled until the 16th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    willys likes this.
  2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll be on the MV Aurora. They used to take a little side trip in to view glaciers between Whittier and Valdez. Don't know if they're still doing that. Regardless, it's a nice trip and gives you the opportunity to visit Valdez without backtracking - not that a back-and-forth trip over Thompson Pass is something to be avoided. :D

The aux. battery installation looks well done. I'll bet Tim will even give it his stamp of approval and he's pretty particular, as you can see with how well he sets up his motorcycles. :nod

If I get to tag along on any of your group rides, I promise to park my ratty ol' KLR far away from your bikes so no one will know that I'm with y'all. :lol3
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took the Aurora last summer. What a relaxing change from riding for a few hours. They did kinda weave in and out a few times near some of the glaciers. A beautiful thing. And...Jack's KLR will have a place of honor with us :thumb
  4. gpax

Oddometer:
    I want to be just like you, Jack, when I grow up! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you mentioned this - we have most but not all reservations in for "wife-week." I'll jump up on this thanks!
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hilliberg called and said they have your tent ready to pick up. They included a photo so you can see what you ordered. Very nice!

IMG_2240.JPG
    willys likes this.
  7. gpax

Oddometer:
    Glad you sent this. This is not the model I ordered! I ordered the model with the carport to park my bike. Thanks. Glamping is the only way to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I laughed out loud and woke up my wife - you're in the doghouse now. Cracked me up!
  9. gpax

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Kenai Fjords Cruises also offers vouchers for sale through the Seward Military Resort on two one day windows in March and May.

10. gpax

Oddometer:
    This will be me in August 2017 when I stop by Alcan Riders house.

00 Gump.jpg
    rubline likes this.
  11. gpax

Oddometer:
  12. gpax

Oddometer:
    My new battery and last led bulbs were delivered today. I am now all LED. I bought my turn indicator lights from Amazon for less than $5 each. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5Z3WO4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 However, I would not hesitate going to O'Riellys and buying Sylvania Zevo bulbs. I used them in the stop / tail light. 1156 (amber) in the turn signals and 1157 (red) in the stop / tail light. With all bulbs lit I saved about 150 watts. 35 x 2 on headlights savings, 19 x 4 on the turn indicators (use 2 at a time) and 19.5 on Stop /Tail light. So about 150 watt savings under normal usage by installing LEDs. The Gerbing heated jacket uses 77 watts and gloves 29 watts. Plus I am charging an Auxilliary Battery.

By the way, 88 days until I launch out for California on my way to Alaska.
    HuskerBlue and rubline like this.
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    Chrissie Baby did not want to fly to meet me in Alaska but she decided to meet me in Seattle and ride home in the car towing the bike. We went on Deltas flex date page and our cheapest day was August 2nd. So I pick her up at SEATAC and we are riding back together. Ticket bought. I love it when a plan comes together!

HuskerBlue and Tewster2 like this.
  14. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just remember that if you want to make God laugh....make a plan....

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
  15. gpax

Oddometer:
    Our track home from Seattle will look basically like this and should take about 10 days to two weeks. We dilly-dally starting off slow and then easing off. Chris wants to check off North Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin on her states she has been to list.

upload_2017-2-18_22-34-19.png
  16. gpax

Oddometer:
    This is my route from Spokane to Dawson City for the Dust 2 Dawson. I am staying at the Triple J Hotel with my friend, John (KKORO on ADVriders)

Clear Lake Spokane to Skagway, Alaska.JPG Skagway to Dawson City, Yukon.JPG

The first panel is my route from Spokane to Skagway. Google maps limits me to 10 points. So I need two panels. The second panel is Skagway to Dawson City.
  17. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the 2nd panel if you find yourself tired and want to stop, Carmacks is a nice place to kick back, Coalminer campground on the Yukon has tent spaces, or if your traveling with a few other riders you can split a cabin. Grocery store in town also.
    gpax likes this.
  18. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks relatively comfy. :nod Did you order the optional volcanic rock fire ring package? Being volcanic rock, it only adds 175 lbs. to the total weight and is quite attractive. Would look very "wilderness" in front of the tent. With your handy-dandy Stihl chainsaw (you are bringing that, aren't you?) you could get a nice campfire going in nothing flat and maybe even attract some fellow campers who are also into "roughing it in style".
    Tewster2 likes this.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hahaha. I've got the one coming with the optional boat dock for when I camp beside a lake. I can't figure out how to strap my boat on my bike but I'm working on it :lol3
  20. gpax

Oddometer:
    First leg in Alaska. I meander up to Fairbanks to join the Tewster2 group for a ride up to the Dalton Highway after the Dust 2 Dawson.

Dawson City to Prudhoe Bay.JPG