Tin Horn to the Klondike and beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Dec 11, 2016.

1. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Second leg in Alaska I return to Fairbanks with my Tewster2 friends and then depart south for Homer.

Prudhoe Bay to Homer.JPG
  2. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Third leg I return to Anchorage and meet a photography group from Pensacola flying in to photograph grizzlies fishing on Kodiak Island.

Homer to Anchorage.JPG
  3. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Fourth leg. Anchorage to Seward to Whittier to catch the ferry to Valdez.

Anchorage to Seward to Whittier.JPG
  4. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Fifth leg. Whittier to Valdez by ferry. Then up to Fairbanks.

Whittier to Fairbanks.JPG
  5. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Leg back to Spokane, WA. Pick up my wife on August 2nd in Seattle so I have lots of time to play with either on the trip or in Washington.

Fairbanks to Spokane (2).JPG
  6. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    My update plan for the motorcycle part of my summer trip. A lot of this is subject to change. Actually I have five more days to play with since I am not due at the airport in Seattle until August 2. (## means firm )

June 3 Spokane, WA Clear Lake Military Resort ## (start)
    June 4 Radium Hot Springs, BC Redstreak Campground Kootenay NP (KKORO) (292 miles)
    June 5 Whistler's Campground, 607 Connaught Dr, Jasper NP (226 miles)
    June 6 Prince George, BC Ray (oldgriz) ## (234 miles)
    June 7 Smithers, BC Sam and Sara (smokin sam) ## (231 miles)
    June 8 Hyder, AK Sealaska Hotel ## (Michelle) (207 miles)
    June 9 Dease Lake, British Columbia, Canada Waters Edge Campground ##, http://www.watersedgecampground.ca/ (252 miles)
    June 10 Boya Lake, British Columbia, Canada (Via Telegraph Creek) Provincal Campground (237 miles) (89 miles)(plus 74 to TC and back 74)
    June 11 Skagway, AK The Dyea Campground, Klondike Gold Rush NHP or Pullen Creek RV (Jauna Doland) ## $30 (360 miles)
    June 12 Skagway, AK The Dyea Campground, Klondike Gold Rush NHP or Pullen Creek RV (Jauna Doland) ## $30
    June 13 Whitehorse Renting a cabin at Beez Kneez Hostel.## (176 miles)
    June 14 Dawson, Yukon for D2D Triple J Hotel ## (331 miles)
    June 15 Dawson, Yukon for D2D Triple J Hotel ##
    June 16 Dawson, Yukon for D2D Triple J Hotel ##
    June 17 Slana, AK Jack (Alcan rider) ## (249 miles)
    June 18 Tangle Lakes Campground MP 21.5 Denali Hwy (camp) McClaren River Lodge on the Denali Hwy (camp) (137 miles)
    June 19 Denali NP Riley Creek Campground (140 miles)
    June 20 Denali NP Riley Creek Campground
    June 21 Fairbanks, AK UAF dorm. or Eielson Famcamp (118 miles)
    June 22 Fairbanks, AK UAF dorm. or Eielson Famcamp
    June 23 Coldfoot (Boreal Lodge or Arctic Get Away in Wiseman) (258 miles)
    June 24 Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay Hotel) (241 miles)
    June 25 Coldfoot (back in Wiseman) (241 miles)
    June 26 Fairbanks, AK UAF dorm (258 miles)
    June 27 Denali NP Riley Creek Campground (118 miles)
    June 28 Denali NP Riley Creek Campground
    June 29 Otter Lake, JBER, AK or Denali NP Riley Creek Campground (240 miles)
    June 30 Seldotna Centennial Campground or Kenai Hidden or Upper Skilak Campgrounds (153 miles)
    July 1 Homer Baycrest RV Park ## Sterling Hwy, Anchor Point, AK 99556 (70 miles)
    July 2 Homer Baycrest RV Park ## Sterling Hwy, Anchor Point, AK 99556
    July 3 Hope Seaview RV Campground ## (164 miles)
    July 4 Anchorage Camp at House of Harley or http://www.jberlife.com/fun/famcamp/ (87 miles)
    July 5 Anchorage Camp at House of Harley or Chugach State Park: Eagle River CG 12.6 Glenn Hwy Eagle River, AK
    July 6 Anchorage Camp at House of Harley or Otter Lake, JBER, AK
    July 7 Seward Seward Military Resort ## (125 miles)
    JUly 8 Seward Seward Military Resort ##
    July 9 Seward Seward Military Resort ##
    July 10 Copper Landing QUARTZ CREEK CAMPGROUND, AK USFS (Chugach National Forest)Phone: (907) 743-9500 (47 miles)
    July 11 Girdwood Williwaw Campground ## (Crow Creek Historic Gold Mine) http://www.alaska.org/detail/crow-creek-mine (58 miles)
    July 12 Whittier to Valdez ferry ## 1:30 pm (7 miles to Whittier, AK)
    July 12 Valdez Valdez Glacier Campground (Army) http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska/valdez-glacier-campground
    July 13 Valdez Valdez Glacier Campground (Army) http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska/valdez-glacier-campground
    July 14 Valdez Valdez Glacier Campground (Army) http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska/valdez-glacier-campground
    July 15 McCarthy GLACIER VIEW CAMPGROUND (178 miles
    July 16 McCarthy GLACIER VIEW CAMPGROUND
    July 17 Slana, AK Jack (Alcan rider) (197 miles)
    July 18 Bear Lake Eielson AFB (266 mies) or http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/campsitelist.htm Big Delta SHP campground (25 sites))
    July 19 Snag Creek or Snag Junction Campground (300 miles)
    July 20 Whitehorse Muktuk Cabins (254 miles)
    July 21 Watson Lake Air Force Lodge (287 miles)
    July 22 Bell 2 Lodge (camp) (309 miles)
    July 23 Smithers Sara and Sam (Smokin Sam) (223 miles)
    July 24 Prince George Ray (oldgriz) (231 miles)
    July 25 Jasper Whistler's Campground (234 miles)
    July 26 Radium Hot Springs Redstreak Campground Kootenay NP (226 miles)
    July 27 Spokane, WA Clear Lake Military Resort (292 miles) (stop)
    rubline likes this.
  7. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    I am carrying three cases: two sides and a top. A tank bag. A duffle. A tent. And a tarp. I've loaded everything and it fits. I have not mounted the cases or strapped on duffle, tent and tarp.

I install my new battery tomorrow. And, I have a small problem with power to my new Zumo 660 mount. Fix that tomorrow. Now I am taking Loretta (my Kawasaki) for a ride. She has been sitting patiently while I paid all my attention to Rita. So she gets to go today.
  8. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Greg, you might want to check for reservations at the Riley Creek Campground. It's the most popular one in the park and the time you'll be there you'll be sharing it with millions of people visiting the park. When Len and I rode past the area last summer it was utter chaos :hmmmmm
  9. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you get the maps I sent you have a look at highway 97 south out of Prince George if you are heading south there is the Fraser Canyon that is a beautiful ride. Or you can turn at Cashe Creek and head towards Kamloops then south and ride through British Columbia's desert
    Decisions Decisions

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    gpax likes this.
  10. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    That part of my schedule is flexible depending on when we rendezvous and head north. I can slide the Riley Creek stay a couple of days either way. I don't want to make reservations until I have a reasonably firm schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. HellCat650

HellCat650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in...looks good so far.

Planning a trip in 2018...

:lurk
  12. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    The inmates here helped prepare me for this trip. Tewster2 had so much patience as I bugged the heck out of him with questions. My coming ride report (RR) may help from my perspective. I think Tim will do another video as well as RR. Following those and other's RR seem to help me. Anyways, if I can answer any questions that may help, just ask.
  13. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    New battery installed. Highway pegs were shimmed to make them tight, tight on my crash bars. GPS (Zumo 660) wire fixed. Previous GPS wiring had a 12v to 5V transformer. Once I cut it out and spliced the wires, my Zumo works like a champ. Previous GPS was not weather proof. Rode in medium hard rain today and the Zumo 660 GPS did not waver.

Two things left to do mechanically on the bike. New tires in April and oil change in May.

Am still deciding what goes where in my side and top cases. I got everything in. Now I need to organize my stuff and throw some stuff aside. Oh. yes. Previous owner removed the handles off the side cases. I have ordered some new ones. Handles on the cases make handling them easier when I need to take them off the bike.
    rubline likes this.
  14. ttractorgirl

ttractorgirl Keeping the good, the bad and the idiots alive

Oddometer:
    Just about got the bike ready for D2D, and Dalton highway, think the only thing I am missing is the dog for the tank bag. 109 days to take off.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  15. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Hope to meet you at the D2D. KKORO and I will be staying at the Triple J. I am looking forward to meeting people from all over.

102 days until I start on my bike. 84 days until my trip starts. My son graduates from nursing school (RN) at Palomar College near San Diego. I trailer my bike from Florida and after his graduation go north to Spokane. Leaving car and trailer there, I start my trip on my bike. My trip will last approximately two months on the bike and two more weeks pulling the bike back to Florida. Ain't it great to be free!

See you in Dawson City!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  16. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking good! I'm learning a lot reading up on you and Tewster's plans. I have my Strom opened up right now, adding gps power, heated grips, powerlet, and electronic cruise control (I'm spoiled). Thanks for sharing all your planning!
  17. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Glad I could I could help! My plans are detailed but always changing. I put ## on the firm parts and sort of made a plan for the jello parts of the trip. As always, I will make changes on the fly, even on some firm plans.

I would like to explore a powerlet and electronic cruise for my Vstrom. I have manual friction cruise and a crampbuster for now. But I love my electronic cruise on my Kawasaki Voyager.

Hope to meet you on the road!
  18. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    Great advice. Earlier I was looking for potential campgrounds near Carmacks and missed Coalminers. Looks like a good stop. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. ttractorgirl

Oddometer:
    Tell him congrats on graduation from nursing school!!!, it's a long road, I know!!
  20. ttractorgirl

Oddometer:
    Still trying to decide on tires. Can't sling around 470lbs as well as you guys, especially in 6 inches of gravel. Kinda want a little more aggressive tire, but one that will make the trip. Bad thing about the Versys, odd tire size and less choices.