Tin Horn to the Klondike and beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gpax, Dec 11, 2016.

1. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm.....What shall I say about that...Hmmmmmm......???

Especially as i wait for a stator for my bike....in sub zero temps....and it almnost feels like that in the house let alone outside!

Hmmmmmmmm.........??????

I wonder.........
    rubline likes this.
  2. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Shot at Pensacola Beach this Friday:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    That water would be solid, if it were here...lol....and to top it off, we had a train derail in our village this morning.....gotta love it...!!!!
  4. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg, looking really good, I have many of the same mods, thought I was looking at pics of my bike at times. Hope our paths cross somewhere up there, have a great, safe ride!
  5. gpax

Oddometer:
    I have paid for a Kenai Fjord Wildlife Cruise on July 8th at 1:30pm with Major Marine Tours. $43 (half price) through the military ITT. I expect to buy reduced tickets to the Seward Sealife Center when I get there for July 9th. I have reservations for July 7, 8 and 9 at the Seward Military Resort for $17 per night (tent space and use of the facilities).
  6. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI if you are going to be in Seward on the 4th of July there is a HUGE event (if someone hasn't already told you about it) called the Mt Marathon race. It's a footrace up and down a 4124' mountain right in downtown Seward. The weekend is JAM PACKED full of people and all kinds of activities. Here is some history and info: http://mmr.seward.com/trivia-facts/ The sleepy little town of Seward swells to 10 TIMES the normal population for the weekend. I will be down there so you can shoot me a message if you need anything.
    gpax likes this.
  7. gpax

Oddometer:
    I tried those dates at the Seward Military Resort and everything was booked. They said that the rest of the town was already pretty much booked. So I selected the 7th, 8th and 9th. Then friends from Pensacola offered to meet me in Anchorage on the 5th. They are just blowing through on a photo expedition and wanted to rent a car and drive around for the day (5th). So I'll be in Anchorage the 4th, 5th and 6th. Either FAMCAMP on the base at ERJB or the grass adjacent to the House of Harley.
  8. gpax

Oddometer:
    All plans I make are flexible. This is my third post of my plan. I have moved my plans a bit to align with the Tewster Circus going to Deadhorse (Oil Town USA).

Depart on the motorcycle. Park car and trailer in Spokane.

June 4 Radium Hot Springs, BC Redstreak Campground Kootenay NP (KKORO) (292 miles)
    June 5 Whistler's Campground, 607 Connaught Dr, Jasper NP (226 miles)
    June 6 Prince George, BC Ray (oldgriz) ## (234 miles)
    June 7 Smithers, BC Sam and Sara (smokin sam) ## (231 miles)
    June 8 Hyder, AK Sealaska Hotel ## (Michelle) (207 miles)
    June 9 Dease Lake, British Columbia, Canada Waters Edge Campground, http://www.watersedgecampground.ca/ ## (252 miles)
    June 10 Boya Lake, British Columbia, Canada (Via Telegraph Creek) Provincal Campground (237 miles) (89 miles)(plus 74 to TC and back 74)
    June 11 Skagway, AK The Dyea Campground, Klondike Gold Rush NHP or Pullen Creek RV (Jauna Doland) ## $30 (360 miles)
    June 12 Skagway, AK The Dyea Campground, Klondike Gold Rush NHP or Pullen Creek RV (Jauna Doland) ## $30
    June 13 Whitehorse Renting a cabin at Beez Kneez Hostel.## (176 miles)
    June 14 Dawson, Yukon for D2D Triple J Hotel ## (331 miles)
    June 15 Dawson, Yukon for D2D Triple J Hotel ##
    June 16 Dawson, Yukon for D2D Triple J Hotel ##
    June 17 Slana, AK Jack (Alcan rider) ## (249 miles)
    June 18 Tangle Lakes Campground MP 21.5 Denali Hwy (camp) McClaren River Lodge on the Denali Hwy (camp) (137 miles)
    June 19 Denali NP Riley Creek Campground (140 miles)
    June 20 Denali NP Riley Creek Campground
    June 21 Eielson Famcamp (118 miles)
    June 22 Eielson Famcamp
    June 23 Fairbanks, AK UAF dorm. or Eielson Famcamp
    June 24 Coldfoot (Boreal Lodge or Arctic Get Away in Wiseman) (258 miles)
    June 25 Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay Hotel) (241 miles)
    June 26 Coldfoot (back in Wiseman) (241 miles)
    June 27 Fairbanks, AK UAF dorm (258 miles)
    June 28 Denali NP Riley Creek Campground (118 miles)
    June 29 Otter Lake, JBER, AK (240 miles)
    June 30 Seldotna Centennial Campground or Kenai Hidden or Upper Skilak Campgrounds (153 miles)
    July 1 Homer Baycrest RV Park ## Sterling Hwy, Anchor Point, AK 99556 (70 miles)
    July 2 Homer Baycrest RV Park ## Sterling Hwy, Anchor Point, AK 99556
    July 3 Hope Seaview RV Campground (164 miles)
    July 4 Anchorage Camp at House of Harley or http://www.jberlife.com/fun/famcamp/ (87 miles)
    July 5 Anchorage Camp at House of Harley or Chugach State Park: Eagle River CG 12.6 Glenn Hwy Eagle River, AK
    July 6 Anchorage Camp at House of Harley or Otter Lake, JBER, AK
    July 7 Seward Seward Military Resort ## (125 miles)
    JUly 8 Seward Seward Military Resort ## Majors Marine Cruise Kenai Fjord Wildlife Tour 1:30PM
    July 9 Seward Seward Military Resort ##
    July 10 Copper Landing QUARTZ CREEK CAMPGROUND, AK USFS (Chugach National Forest)Phone: (907) 743-9500 (47 miles)
    July 11 Girdwood Williwaw Campground (Crow Creek Historic Gold Mine) http://www.alaska.org/detail/crow-creek-mine (58 miles)
    July 12 Whittier to Valdez ferry 1:30 pm (7 miles to Whittier, AK)
    July 12 Valdez Valdez Glacier Campground (Army) http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska/valdez-glacier-campground
    July 13 Valdez Valdez Glacier Campground (Army) http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska/valdez-glacier-campground
    July 14 Valdez Valdez Glacier Campground (Army) http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska/valdez-glacier-campground
    July 15 McCarthy GLACIER VIEW CAMPGROUND (178 miles
    July 16 McCarthy GLACIER VIEW CAMPGROUND
    July 17 Slana, AK Jack (Alcan rider) (197 miles)
    July 18 Bear Lake Eielson AFB (266 mies) or http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/campsitelist.htm Big Delta SHP campground (25 sites))
    July 19 Beaver Creek YT, Discovery Yukon Lodgings ## (Amanda Harris $21) (300 miles)
    July 20 Whitehorse Muktuk Cabins (254 miles)
    July 21 Watson Lake Air Force Lodge (287 miles)
    July 22 Bell 2 Lodge (camp) (309 miles)
    July 23 Smithers Sara and Sam (Smokin Sam) (223 miles)
    July 24 Prince George Ray (oldgriz) (231 miles)
    July 25 Jasper Whistler's Campground (234 miles)
    July 26 Radium Hot Springs Redstreak Campground Kootenay NP (226 miles)

Motorcycle back on the trailer. (292 miles)

July 27 Spokane, WA Clear Lake Military Resort
    Alaskajeff likes this.
  9. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just for a laugh here is a picture of the part of highway 16 from Jasper to Prince George. A lot of folks heading to Alaska take this one.
    The picture was taken on the weekend when my wife and i were coming home from our Grandsons hockey game in Clearwater. I guess the bike will stay parked for a bit yet.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    JBird likes this.
  10. VDZride

VDZride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple other options for camping in Valdez: Bear paw campgrounds has some cool secluded tent camping next to the water in town. In Thompson pass there is Blueberry campground, great view, great campground. About 24 miles outside Valdez on the Richardson.
  11. gpax

Oddometer:
    VDZride, Are you familiar with Valdez Glacier Campground (Army). The price was right. $10 - $15 I am hoping to camp to save money.
  12. VDZride

VDZride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm familiar with the glacier campground, nothing wrong with it. Some good mountain goat viewing above the campground. The campground is outside town about 4-5 miles.
    Your itinerary says your staying three nights and those other two places I mention are pretty cool. Blueberry lake is a state campground so cheap, I think $15 or so. It has some great scenery, some easy exploring, it's on a nice little lake with rainbows and grayling ( probably not relevant).
    The bear paw campground is next to the water in town, you can walk all over town. It's adult only so no screaming kids, it's down a quiet street.
    Either way you won't go wrong, just showing some variety.
    Btw: there are a couple other campgrounds up the Richardson, one at @47 mile, billy Mitchell campground. Another At 80 something mile, squirrel creek. Not bad places if it's wet in Valdez and you want to get away.
    There are a whole butt load of places to camp along the Richardson if you want as well.
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    57 days until I leave for California. Trying out my rig on Thursday with two nights of local camping. Pictures to follow this weekend.

14. Av8rPaul

Av8rPaul Have bike will travel

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good time, you've got a heck of a plan. The Cassiar is a great ride, it reminds me of how the Alcan was back in the old days, but paved of course.

If you go bear watching in Kodiak you'll see Brown Bears. Grizzlies are interior bears, Brownies are coastal and a larger variation because of their fish diet. A little north country info here. :-)

Have fun! It looks like I'm riding up to AK about time you'll be heading down.
    gpax and Tewster2 like this.
  15. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those heading to Alaska and passing through British Columbia. You can get road conditions and see highway cams of the highways at http://www.drivebc.com/
    Here is the current picture of highway 37 at Dease Lake. I sure hope spring turns up the temperature soon and gets rid of that white stuff.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
  16. gpax

Oddometer:
    Made my reservations for my ride to Deadhorse. I am joining up with the Tewster Circus at the UAF dorm on June 23rd. I'll also stay there on the 27th. Private room $38 per night. Trent and I will split a room in Coldfoot on the 24th and 26th. I'll stay at Deadhorse on the 25th.

JBird, rubline and Tewster2 like this.
  17. TwoWheelsOneJourney

TwoWheelsOneJourney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    June should be great timing. I stayed at UAF last summer. Sterile, but very functional. Washed all of my dirty gear from the Dalton on their 6th floor machine. If you do enjoy camping, you may want to consider skipping a room at that bleak hotel in Coldfoot and grabbing a campsite at Marion Creek only a few miles up the road from the gas pump (BLM, I think it was $4 with my parks pass). One of my best camping nights of the trip was there. If you booked at the Aurora Hotel in Deadhorse you will eat very well. The Deadhorse Camp Arctic Ocean Shuttle Tour was a fun side trip while up there. I think it was around $70 as long as you book in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gpax likes this.
  18. gpax

Oddometer:
    Yes. That Hwy 16 is in my plans. I think we are turning north on 37 at Kitwanga on our way to Smithers.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  19. gpax

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/16-day-shakedown-fl-to-tn-nc-for-the-tin-horn.1217375/ . The next phase of my "trip planning" for my Alaska trip begins in the morning. For the next 16 days expect my posts to be in the form of a ride report: 16 day shakedown FL to NC for the Tin Horn. URL is above. The first leg takes Lovely Rita and me to R Shaefer Heard Campground near West Point, GA. Pretty much on US-29. Follow us (Rita and me) on our RR.

Post Script: One thing I have noticed is that the closer to departure expect more drop-ins whilst you are readying your bike and gear. I am leaving before 10AM and I still have a load of crap to do. I have entertained guests about five hours of prime time the last two days. Good but Ugh at the same time.

See you back here in about 16 days. Greg aka gpax or as my teenage granddaughter calls me, the big kahuna.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  20. gpax

Oddometer:
    PNS to NC Shakedown.JPG
    woody071585 likes this.