Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the tip about the light. I'll check it out asap.
  2. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    I have seen guys super glue little tech bumps to their gloves.
    Mostly to be more accurate using touch screen with their GPS.

Might be worth a try.
    On my phone now I'll try to post a photo of what I'm talking about if you don't follow me.

Fred
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I hear t
    I hear there are some little rubber things you can stick on top of the camera buttons to make it easier. Do you know about those? I'll Google in a few to see if I can find them. Thanks for the tip.
  4. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    No never heard of the ones that stick to the camera. Makes perfect sense though.
    That's what I like about this place learn something new everyday.

Thanks
    Fred
  5. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Also have fun on your trip.

Tried this in 2010 make it to Alaska Yukon and all on between.
    Was on my Wee and it was a blast.

But brother in law was killed in a motorcycle crash back home.
    Kinda knocked the wind out of me.

My family was worried.
    Never made it to the D2D.

Good luck
    Fred
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    So sorry about your brother in law. Time will heal.
  7. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that Fred.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    For those of you that are not familiar with the Smartwool clothing brand they make some of the best quality Merino wool stuff around. For the trip I'll be using Smartwool items exclusively for my shirts, base layer, socks, and sleeping/swimming shorts. Merino wool, (for me), is the best there is for moisture wicking, keeping cool, and staying warm. In addition to the wool stuff, I have used, and will continue to ride wearing the LD Comfort shorts. Again my favorite.
    Oakbluffcamper and Ol Man like this.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Also got my Spotwalla page set up (I think)...I'm a techtard mostly
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I have a nice pair of the heated Gerbing gloves. They work great and are lined with fleece type material. But....when the weather is damp it is almost impossible to get your hands back in them. So to solve the problem I got a pair of pure silk glove liners. Now my hands slide in and out easily no matter how wet they are.
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I've had several people want the route/motel/campsite database I'm creating for this trip. Here is what I've got so far....it is a work in progress and I'm adding waypoints every few days from the recommendations that you all have.

*THE FILE HAS BEEN UPDATED...PLS GO TO POST #515 FOR THE LATEST UPDATE*
    Oakbluffcamper likes this.
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have just a couple of comments here, just tossing both out for your thinking - not at all trying to change your mind or convince anyone else....people often take someone's opinion and jump all over it defending their choices.

First, I dumped SPOT for the Delorme inReach. I chose the SE model since I didn't need a second GPS display.

#1 reason was if I needed 911 rescue, with SPOT all I can do is hit the 911 button and sit and wait. I have no idea when help is coming or if it is coming, nor can I communicate with my rescuers. Also SPOT uses Globalstar and inReach uses Iridium, the differences between the two satellite networks is remarkable. Worth a Google search.

#2 reason is related to the first: two-way texting capability anywhere in the world. That's actually two things SPOT does not have - two way texting and the SPOT device does not work globally due to the type of satellite network its on. inReach enables communication with the rescue coordination center. They will acknowledge your emergency and begin a conversation with you via text as to the nature of the emergency and anything else that's pertinent. With SPOT, you push the button and start to pray, waiting to hear helicopter blades or a snowmobile engine.

#3 is price plan. It might be more expensive per month (I didn't do a comparison) but Delorme has a plan that allows you to suspend service and not be charged for the months you are not using the service. SPOT requires an annual contract. Right there could be the source of $$$$$ advantage even if Delorme per month is pricier.

#4 Back to texting. When you broadcast your breadcrumb trail with inReach, you can allow map users to contact you via text (controllable with a password if you wish) just by clicking on your location on the map. Family and close friends can send a text to your unit no matter where you are in the world. With this, you're never, ever out of reach if there is an emergency at home, or if you need to get an update on where to find a replacement part. 3 other ways to connect are inReach to inReach, or via the link you send when you SMS or email someone with the inReach. This controls who can send you messages so as not to burn up your plan limit (you can't receive spam on your inReach unit).

#5 Bluetooth & smart phones. Texting on the inReach itself is clunkly - but you can download the Earthmate app and link with your unit and use the keypad on your phone and your phone's address book to quickly and easily send messages from your phone to anywhere in the world, no matter where you are. The Earthmate app also has several other inReach management features you can research on your own.

Trust me, I've owned every SPOT model there is, but will never go back. There is a reason, I think, why the SPOT rep you talked to asked how happy you were and if you'll stay with SPOT. They're losing market share in buckets, I believe. FYI Garmin just signed an agreement to buy Delorme. SPOT may well indeed be forced to create a new model blending their traditional line with their communicator. Right now inReach blows them out of the water.

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone their SPOT isn't right for them - consider my comments as my opinion, others opinions are equally valid for them.

OK, a quick comment on gloves. For taking photos in decent weather, I ditched a full finger glove on my "camera hand" for a fingerless glove. I take tons of photos on rides, and just fussing with taking the glove on and off was a pain. I decided in a crash the palm of the hand takes the big hit in a slide, I'll leave it to others to take this logic apart.

Yes, please do those famous videos of yours. As you recall, I contacted you to compliment you on your videos of your western trips. Really enjoy your reporting style and your video style, very entertaining and educational.

See you down the road.....
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thanks for the great input on the inReach unit. I will certainly research it some more. I've been putting off looking at the inReach in detail after I read that Garmnin bought the company. I have a love/hate relationship with Garmin haha. It will be great if Garmim would make a hybrid unit for sure.

I really don't do any realtime tracking when I ride but might start from you comments on why I should. I usually just send out my location to friends and family midday and then again when I stop for the night. Good stuff thanks.

I have sensitive hands to cold. The fingerless will work good in warm weather but would be uncomfortable (for me) when cold. I have a pair of Klim summer gloves that work good with the camera. I'll just have to adapt and overcome.

The input from inmates on good stuff and things I should think about and do is amazing. Much appreciated to you all.

BTW....next time I head for BBNP I'll give you a call and buy you a beer or three :)
  14. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Folks interested in moto photography should check out the ride reports and blog of my good friend and fellow inmate PhotoMotoAdv.

http://advrider.com/index.php?members/photomotoadv.213195/

I met Ricardo during my AK ride, we were introduced by Alcan Rider, and have become very close friends! Along with being a very successful professional photographer Ricardo is also a Tour Guide for Ayres Adventures and has been to Russia/Mongolia, the Andes and Africa both leading tours and doing photo workshops. Add 3 AK trips to that and you'll understand that Ricardo likes to ride!

As you will see he does more than a little shooting while moving and everything else is hand held.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for posting the link to your buddy. He's got some great photos in his Alaska ride report. Hope to one day (well maybe never) be able to shoot stuff as good. He's really got a talent for great composition.
  16. Roadhawg3

Roadhawg3 n00b

Oddometer:
    A vineager and citronella oil spray works too

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk
  17. Roadhawg3

Roadhawg3 n00b

Oddometer:
    ::) I

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I've narrowed
    Thanks. I've got a list going of bug stuff recommended by everyone. I'll be able to make an informed decision on the best way to keep sane with the mozzies as the time for leaving gets near.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Well crap...I was going to use a pair of Mitas E0-7 tires for the trip. I went to order them and the rear size 120/80-18 is not longer available according to Revzilla. So....I used Avon Distanzias for the last trip to Utah where they worked great on the road and on the dirt/gravel of the Mokee Dugway and Valley of the Gods roads. I read the reports about the new Avon Trail Riders that are the replacements for the Distanzias. All were positive and it appears the Trail Riders will have better wear. I'll be mostly on pavement for the ride up so a 90/10 tire will do me just fine. So....I have a pair coming this week. When I get to Fairbanks I'll decide if I'll use them for the Dalton or have Mr. Armstrong at Adventure Cycle Works put different tires on at that time. We will see....BTW I did look at the Heidenau but decided I didn't want to try to fix a flat on the side of the road and risk breaking a nail.
  20. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems you have your priorities straight. :toney