Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    LOL! Sure, I've heard there's some good off the beaten path riding there too!
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, don't AK me, never been there & don't wanna go!
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tews:
    I'm a planner, not to your level, but I plan when I go on trips. So the logistics of an Alaska ride intimidate the crap outta me. I went for a dirt ride today and saw a guy taking a break on another ADV bike (new 1190). So I stopped and said Hi, completely out of character for borderline reclusive me. Alaska came up and I mentioned my planning intimidation. He chuckled and said "You don't have to plan for Alaska, just a tent and sleeping bag and be off." Me --> You nuts? :yikes "Nope, I had 6 weeks off and was somewhere in Montana(?) and thought "When will I ever have 6 weeks off again?", so I turned north and rode to Alaska."

I asked about bears and NO guns. :scratch He said it was certainly on his mind initially, but as the trip wore on it became a non issue.

Besides, I've heard they don't like how we taste, so after a bite or two they'll spit us back out. :puke1
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha that is surely one way to look at things. Some do just fine taking off and winging it. Me...I really enjoy the planning and like to have some idea of what lays ahead on my trips. In the good ol days "just a tent and sleeping bag and be off" was one way to go but I like how access to information makes, for me, the ride much easier and enjoyable. The only reservations I've made are for D2D. Other than that I'll be sort of winging it I guess. :-)
  5. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning ahead also lets you know about all the things you should see, like how far apart the car washes are. :lol3

Have fun, planning and all. :nod

I got rained on for the last 40 miles, all paved. So my WR is cleaned for the summer.
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Ok...just a couple of weeks out and my packing is done. Here are some photos of what I'm taking and what goes where.

Tank Bag: head lamp, silk balaclava, summer gloves, keys to locks, small bag with power cords etc, documents, toilet paper, Anker Power pack, Nikon AW130 camera, silk glove liners, tank bag rain cover.

IMG_0203.jpg

Clothes bag (behind me on the seat): Smartwool 250 wt base layer top and bottom, Smartwool socks (3), LD Comfort riding shorts (2) and one pair of Smartwool walking shorts, Smartwool 195 wt shirts (2 long sleeve, 1 short sleeve), fleece pull over. The Sea to Summit bag for my clothes is 8x16 inches when packed. I don't compress it much and it makes a great backrest. I don't take a bunch of clothes like some people do. If I really need something more (like a tuxedo) I can buy it on the road.

IMG_0200.jpg IMG_0199.jpg

Left Saddle Bag: bush hat (mozzie net over it), Vanns canvass walking shoes, fleece beenie, assorted camping odds and ends in zip lock bag, toiletry stuff, pair of jeans (don't pack or weigh much more than a pair of zip off pants and I like my jeans when off the bike), Gerbing heated jacket, Gerbing heated gloves, micro fiber camp towel.

IMG_0195.jpg

HunterSon likes this.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Right Saddle Bag: Nemo Sonic 15 850 down fill sleeping bag, Big Agnes Q-Core SL pad, Nemo fillo pillow, Thermolite Reactor bag liner, sleeping pad sheet, Hi Viz vest, maps.

IMG_0198.jpg

Pelican Top Case: Jet Boil Zip (for cofee), tire pump, small bag with odds and ends, collapsable camp lantern, sleeping pad pump, wet wipes, small tripod, spare gear lever, 13 inch Macbook Air, two heavy duty zip ties.

IMG_0204.jpg

Camp Chair: Helinox Camp One (will pack on top of my clothes bag behind me on the seat). Got to have a chair as I plan on sitting some places and just looking.

IMG_0201.jpg

Other stuff: pee bottle with a LARGE opening (I hate crawling out of the tent at night), small hatchet. I'll find a place to put these.

IMG_0205.jpg

Other than the riding gear I'll be wearing, the stuff in the tool tubes, two Wolfman bottle holders (one for chain lube and one for my water bottle strapped to the bags), and little things like paper towels/small crap that is it. My tent will be in a small dry bag strapped on top of the Pelican Case.

I'll try to do some reviews of my travel kit items when I have time on the road.

And last but not least my Golden Rule is: "THREE WEEKS BEFORE A TRIP NEVER BUY OR ADD ANYTHING TO YOUR TRAVEL KIT". IF you haven't needed something in the past and haven't thought about it by now you don't need it.
    Asphalt Assault and HunterSon like this.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Oh I almost forgot. Here is a photo of one of the Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags and it's waterproof liner. The bag and liner are both slightly tapered in towards the bottom thus allowing the liner to slip in and out easily. Good engineering from the folks at Wolfman. Can't wait to travel with them. I think, (for me), they are perfect.

IMG_0194.jpg
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    One suggestion that takes up zero extra room: Wrap that sleeping bag in its own Ziplock-type bag as extra insurance against getting wet. Things happen. I can handle things getting wet/damp, but I can't handle a wet/damp sleeping bag. Been there, done that, with so-called 'dry bags.'
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the tip. The Sea to Summitt compression bag the sleeping bag is in is waterproof (supposedly). Then that goes in the waterproof liner bag that goes in the saddle bag. I hate to get my sleeping bag wet so with double redundancy waterproofing I should be ok. I'll let you know how it all works out. If I sense any kind of dampness I'll add the plastic bag like you mentioned.
  11. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a couple of instances where I wished I'd had the redundancy. Once due to a stray rock flung from a truck, and the other from what I thought was a swipe from an innocent branch...each time piercing holes of soft bags and the 'dry bags' inside. These days, if camping off the bike is involved, I double-wrap my sleeping bag and make sure it can float. :lol3
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    You do more off road than me for sure! I'll be sure and check the bags should I have an off.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    One less thing to do...UNI filter cleaned and re-oiled.

IMG_0206.jpg
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tried to emulate your packing, but my pile seems a lot larger.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    With each new trip I remember the things I didn't need the last trip and leave them home. I'm down to my minimum kit and still able to be comfortable. Anything I "KNOW" I'm going to need gets packed. Anything that I "MAY" need gets left home. The "MAY" stuff is always available at Walmart anywhere I ride through. :-)
  16. gssarasota

gssarasota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of great info. How many miles do you plan a riding a day and also do you know where you are going to stay each night or do you just figure it out each day.
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    When I travel the back roads I only plan on riding 150 to 300 miles a day. But...I can ride all day and cover a lot of miles on the WR if I need too. I have a general idea of where I'd like to go but nothing is set in stone. That gives me plenty of time to really enjoy the ride. I don't make reservations as there are tons of campgrounds and small mom and pop motels everywhere. At the end of each day I'll decide where I'd like to head to next. When you are retired and have no schedule and no responsibilities it makes things a bit easier for sure.
    mikegc likes this.
  18. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like your plan. I never know how far I'm going to get inna day, reservations just don't werk fer me. :thumb
  19. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:

The plan is no plan. I like itm
    djfoell likes this.
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    You gonna be able to ride with me for a few days when I get out in your area?