Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    You're North of me, I'm in Venice.
  2. gssarasota

gssarasota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a tiny bike. Just picked it up from the dealer for my grandson.
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that an attack dog? :) If I was a kid again I'd love to have a bike like that!
  4. gssarasota

gssarasota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yip thats my guard dog. Kids nowadays don't know lucky they are.
    BTW are you going to post things during your trip or just wait till you are back?
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna post updates along the way when I can but nothing that is too involved as big blogs are really a lot of work. When I'm riding I like to share the things I see, people I meet, and things I do with myself. When I get back I'll have plenty of time to share with others. Hope I don't sound too selfish or pious. I really don't mean to. It seems some folks get caught up with spending so much time during a ride posting things for others that they don't have time to enjoy it themselves. I appreciate the interest folks have shown in my travels and corny writeups.
    Higherhawk, Oakbluffcamper and XXMe like this.
  6. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Exactly. You'll have plenty of time for a detailed RR when you get back. I learned some time ago that trying to blog, do a ride report, check in with family often, yadda yadda yadda just took away a good level of enjoying the adventure.

My advice is to enjoy the adventure...soak it all in...then share what you like when you come back. This is one of those epic trips...be a little self-centered and make sure you get every bit out of it that you can. Stay in touch a little if you like to meet people along the way...but share the details later.

Still looking forward to connecting with you next week if the cards get played right.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Hope everything works out. Get with me next week to let me know your schedule.
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    May I suggest you keep a loose diary of the things you saw and did each day or anything that you found interesting as we sometimes forget the special moments on such a long adventure, well at least I do....and I'm also not a diary writer...DOH, so I'm not the person who should be saying to do so...lol
    scarysharkface likes this.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I use the voice recorder app on my phone to dictate notes during and at the end of each day. Lots easier than writing the stuff because I can't read my own handwriting!
    willys likes this.
  10. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Yes, the internet can wait! Unplug and enjoy the moment, too many needless distractions as it is. Especially with the selfie craze.
    All the best adventuring to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never thought of the recording posibilties ofthe modern age...lol....I too can't read my own chicken scratch!....good thing we are typing now eh.
  12. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sure...enjoy :lol3

images.jpeg
    SmittyBlackstone and Folly1 like this.
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Got my 10.5 kg sprang thang from Cogent Dynamics today. Literally took me longer to re-grease the suspension links than it took me to install the new sprang. Firms up the bike just enough to feel good...just like Britney Spears :getiton

IMG_0221.jpg
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I was talking to another inmate this evening about the pros and cons of camping or moteling. I like to do both. For those of you that don't want to camp but would like to find some neat mom and pop motels, here is a site I use to get info about what is available in the places I ride through.

http://www.momandpopmotels.com
  16. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't find any reviews or web site links on that hotel site. Did I miss them?
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    All I do is enter the city and state and the site shows a list of motels in the area. From there I can pick a motel and if there is not a lot of info on the "Momand pop" site I google the motel. Works pretty good as a basic source of info.
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I've been doing a bit of research that is safety related. There are many reports of motorcyclist getting rear ended at traffic lights. So...I'm gonna get this little bicycle light, modify the mounting clip so I can velcro it to the back of my helmet. I plan on setting it to the "flash "mode"...manufacture and reviews say I should get about 150 hours of flash time per two aaa batteries. It will be an easy and cheap little mod that may help...

511W6GzEQtL.jpg

Also thinking about mounting a small light that bicyclist use in the stobe mode on the front of the bike. Everytime I see a bicyclist coming at me with the stobe flashing it really stands out.
    HunterSon likes this.
  19. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Look at that flashing light said the soccer mom with target fixation... Just kidding Tim!

My Clearwater Darlas have amber lenses and are adjustable from kind of bright to holy crap 2000 lumens each from 2" lights with instant full power with high beam... Also put a 6" LED brake bar under my rear rack.

A lot of the AK folks have brake lights that flash 3 times then go solid. This may not be legal in all states from what I was told.
  20. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm the inmate and thanks for the share. I like to camp, but I'm an old guy with lots of afflictions that hinder sleep. I carry lots of gear to help with that problem. Couple of years ago I rode the TAT as far as Arkansas and could not get a good night's sleep. I was exhausted and miserable. I'm doing a 21 day trip to Colorado, Utah in June and am debating ditching the camping gear and just stay in motels. Might carry a two man tent or tarp and down blanket just in case. I think I can ditch the duffle if I do that.