Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those Clearwater lights are really supposed to be the ducks guts as far as LED lights go. As far as legality goes...I have a "get out of jail free card"...my retirement badge and ID haha. I do have the Hyperlights on the rear and they seem to work great at keeping people off my butt if I activate them while riding along.
    k7tbt and XXMe like this.
  2. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep, as I get older it's harder and harder to get in and out of my tent and I really enjoy a nice mattress! One day soon I'll be in a financial position where I'll only carry my tent for the times when I may just get stuck somewhere and have to camp. Wouldn't it be great if someone put together a website so you could search motels by price? I know you can dig through the info on a lot of travel sites for prices but I hate going through the "reservation" hassell before they give me a price.
  3. shootmymime

shootmymime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rexburg Idaho. If you stay east. Send me a message. I've got a bed, tools and shower for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    While there are certainly exceptions - many of the country's low price, independent motels have declined to a rather poor state of repair and cleanliness. As a result, I've found that camping can be the preferable option. I especially enjoy camping when I'm riding in the Eastern and Western mountain ranges.
    IMO, the three most important aspects of comfortable camping include:
    - easy to setup, dry tent
    - warm sleeping bag
    - AND...a comfortable sleeping pad
    As I've gotten older I've found the sleeping pad has gained considerable importance. The challenge is to find a comfortable pad that is sufficiently compact for moto travel. Currently, I use a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite.
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. Right now I'm using a Big Agnes Q-Core SL that is ok. It's real redeeming factor is that it packs really small so it works well with my travel kit on the WR. The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite looks really good too. I've heard a ton of good reviews on the Thermarest stuff so if my BA takes a dump I'll probably get one like yours.
  7. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Booking.com on your smart phone is great for finding locations and prices at a glance.
    Used it in many nights here and in Argentina and Chile last month.
  8. jackrabbit56

jackrabbit56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim, what do you use to spit and shine your bike?
    Cheers.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Just old fashion elbow grease...I give it a little wipe down each night when I get to the campground...my secret is to try to not let it get too dirty haha.
    Great thanks. I'll add the app to my phone.
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Well just like putting you keys down someplace where you normally don't and then can't find them....I lost my neck buff...oh well that is all the excuse I need to get another one...I love Merino wool so this will work...Smartwool Neck Buff

SW0SC953001-1-p.jpeg
  11. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the basis of your praises I picked up some smartwool base items. Love them. I especially like the 3/4 length bottoms.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep the stuff is great. I use a 250 wt base layer and it makes riding in cold or cool weather great. I also have three of their 195 wt tops. I can wear the stuff for several days without smelling and all wash up easily and dries quickly.
  13. GoDoMore

GoDoMore life in the fast lane...full speed ahead

Oddometer:
    So once you hit the road will you start a new thread or post updates here until your write up
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'll probably ask a mod to move this thread to the Epic Rides forum and continue to muddle along. I guess that is the best way. I'd like to keep everything together.
    sKatZ likes this.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I went to the BBQ joint today to get some brisket and on the way back I was met by a bicyclist coming the other way. He had one of those little flashing LED lights on the front of his bike. You could see that thing from a mile away and it really got my attention. So...I went to the bike shot and got this Cateye light.

I took the mount off the base bracket and bolted the bracket to my fender. Used a bit of velcro as a vibration pad on the bottom. The unit then just slides and locks in place on the mount. Easy. It's supposed to run on flashing mode for up to 320 hours. All I have to do is push the little button on the back of the thing to turn it on and when I'm stopped just push it again to turn it off. I should show up a bit more now...hope so. Cheap and easy mod...about $13 from Amazon too. I included a little video so you can see it flashing. It's supposed to be waterproof and hold up to mountain bike thrashing...we will see...it's cheap enough if it does take a crap I'll just toss it in the garbage.

IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0229.jpg IMG_0231.jpg

HunterSon and sKatZ like this.
  16. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    For sleeping pad, I rolled my dice on this I hope it will be a good investment.. Hopefully it will arrive sooner than later.
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl.....that is the best camp site thing I've ever seen. I'll get my buddy with the Yamadama S10 to carry it for me.
  18. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    No need, it pack small..

19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hahaha that is neat.
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Three years ago I invested in a pair of SIDI Adventure Goretex boots. Once broke in they are very comfortable so I do a lot of walking in them when I'm off the bike. Consequently, I wore the soles down pretty well. Especially the inside fronts where I put my feet down at stop lights and such. So...I sent them off to Resole America. They are a SIDI boot resoler/repairer business here in the U.S. For $80 they reconditioned and resoled them like new. Very happy. Took about 10 days from shipping to them before I got them back.

IMG_0233.jpg
    GoDoMore likes this.