Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. Just south of St Louis right now getting a cheap cup of coffee at McDonald's. I'll start posting some photos when the real ride starts in Colorado.
    sKatZ and AdvRich like this.
  2. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Well I thought I had my Spotwalla page set up. My unit is sending out my location when I push the button but nothing is showing up on my "trip" page. I'm probably just stupid but I'm not gonna fool with it anymore.

I'm just east of Topeka Kansas in a service plaza on I70. Will probably sleep in the truck. 850 miles today.

image.jpeg
    WYO George and GoDoMore like this.
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    My room for the night because I'm cheap...

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    sKatZ, CatFlap, Higherhawk and 2 others like this.
  4. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you shut off the Breadcrumbs when you hit a send message.
  5. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I don't have the auto tracking service, only the basic thing where I can hit the button to send out my location every now and then. I thought it wouldn't make a difference. I'll try to get it going.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Day 2 morning update:

If you want to experience scoliosis and a crick in your neck all you have to do is spent the night in the back seat of a pickup truck parked in a truck stop. If I find the guy who suggested to me that it would be a great way to save a few bucks I'm gonna cut his nuts off. :hair

I finally dozed off to sleep at 1208 am.... Then at 1209 am, being the elderly gentleman I am, I woke up and had to pee. I sat up, hit my face on the seat, and knocked my glasses, that I had so carefully put on the center console, down between the seat and the console. Took me about 10 hours to dig around to find them. Then when I leaned across seat to unlock the truck it felt like I broke 5 ribs.....:dirtdog

Anyway, I stumbled back into McDonald's here at the truck stop and drank 8 cups of coffee. I figured if I was going through all the trouble of getting back up to process it again I was gonna make sure it was worth it :lol3....now it's 0630 central time and I'm up and at em.

Today will be a nice slow drive across Kansas. I don't need to be at my buddy Vic's house until tomorrow so lots of stops and sightseeing, cheers.
    ADVrider973 likes this.
  8. greenmtndave

greenmtndave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of trying out the "Ford Hilton" myself this summer as I am cheap also. Just curious how tall you are?

I enjoy your posts and YouTube videos. Thanks for taking the time. Have a fantastic trip.

Dave
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I am 6 foot 185 pounds. When I get back I'm gonna seriously look at getting a nice ford transit van and a small enclosed trailer for the bikes to set up for adventure travel. I love the idea of having my motel/campground with me and being able to stop when ever and where ever I want. The money I saved last night will go to a chiropractor and an acupuncturist :)
    ADVrider973 and AdvRich like this.
  10. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    1st, there is a GREAT (as of a few years ago) affordable hotel just inside the CO border in Burlington, next to the truck stop at the second exit IIRC, The Chaparral Inn. Here's a Google Maps link to it: https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x4317936e04b1f924

It's not that far from your day's start, but if you are going slow, and hurt from sleeping in your truck, keep it in mind.

I've slept in my Suburban before, by putting a thermal rest pad down in the back with all the seats folded flat. Another option instead of the transit van.
  11. AdvRich

AdvRich Long Time SmugMug Patron/Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going back to a rig with bike to help preserve my back which gave out last year on a long ride.
    I went big back in '03-'05 and had a blast traveling around that way with a 12GS on a Versahaul.
    [​IMG]
    New rig will be a van set up for multi-use with a light weight bike.
    It may be the same for you, but riding is part of exploring and however it happens is all part of the fun.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the tip about the motel. I'll check it out.

Yep the older I get the more crabby I am if I don't get a good nights sleep. I think a nice adventure van to go along with the little WR is gonna be the way to go.
  13. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    One thing for sure Tim, you'll have plenty of time to think about vehicles while you ride! Plenty of time!

You've got my info...

There's a place in Boulder called Fresh Baked.... :bubba

Oh... Never mind... :thumb
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Well I can't get the Spotwalla thing to work so I've dumped it...too much trouble for me. Here is a link to my SPOT Adventures page that does work...the password is "RC30".

I'm camping tonight at the Goodland KOA just east of the Colorado border. The campsite is grassy, level, dry, no ants, and the wifi is great. The KOA is owned by a guy from Poland and he's very accommodating. $25 bucks for a clean shower and everything else is ok with me.

IMG_0297.JPG IMG_0298.JPG image1.JPG
    image.jpeg

It was nice crossing Kansas in the truck this trip. The winds were howling but I was chillin.

Colorado tomorrow....

ZiaThunder, GoDoMore and mikegc like this.
  15. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which is more boring,for the plains crossing, Kansas or Oklahoma?
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Kansas is kinda neat because you are in the very center of the US and the vast plains are beautiful in the way they go to the horizon. I-70 across the state is, for the most part smooth, as a babies butt. Oklahoma is steeped in history with the dust bowl. I enjoy spotting old abandoned homesteads and wonder about what hardships the people who once lived there endured. Really the only thing that bothers me is getting caught in the unforgiving winds that make your life miserable crossing both states.
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    The Mods suggested I start the Ride Report now that I'm on the road in the Epic Rides forum. It can be found here. If you have any questions or further comments please use that new thread, thanks.
    BeemerBOI and GoDoMore like this.
  18. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds like the way to go. My wife and I are a week into our build-out of a camper based on a high-roof Mercedes Sprinter. Add a small trailer for the bike and you're set. Stop wherever you need to, sleep in a bed, back on the road in the morning. Our theory anyway...
  19. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just in case you haven't stumbled across this epic build thread - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/building-an-adventure-van.715683/
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer: