Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    All my clothes are in the Sea to Summit dry bag on the back of the seat. The small black bag on top of my clothes is the EZ-Touring bike cover. For security the bike disappears when the non-descrpt cover is over it. My tent in the yellow 24 liter Ortlieb bag and ground cloth are strapped on the Pelican case. The Rotopax is the 1.74 gallon model.

Gidday from Down Under Tewster2!

Prolly missed this and maybe premature as I read thru this thread but what are in your panniers if your clothes , tent etc are not?

Cheers n loving the read !

Regards

Shane

Edit: never mind!! :-)
  2. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    IMG_4079.JPG
    Me on Trail Ridge Road with my 200cc scooter: June 2015. People looked at the Florida license plate, gave me a long look and asked, "Did you ride that all the way from Florida?" Went back and forth twice from Grand Lake to Estes Park.
    Trailrider200, SMURPH and sKatZ like this.
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg. Nice photo. This thread is the planning thread for my ride. The actual ride report is in the "Epic Rides" forum on ADV.
  4. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will master this board. LOL
  5. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I might missed it somewhere but how did that stuff work out for you? Did it kept calcium on the Haul Road from rusting up your bike. Exhaust pipe? :deal
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sure did. Not a bit of rust when I get home.
  7. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Good.. exhaust pipes looked the same as before or some wear from the Haul Road? Mine looked different but no rust. It will be interesting to know that too. And thanks for replying!
  8. Dudley

Dudley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    Tewster,
    How big a guy are you? I have been thinking of a WR250R but I weigh 230 in my skivvies. Loaded the way your bike is with me make me think I will not have enough muscle.
    Dudley
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I’m 6 foot 180...no problems at all on the 250
  10. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how off road you want to go, but if you want to stick to paved roads with some gravel roads thrown in, a Versys 300 can do that with a much lower seat height, less money, and easier highway speeds. It is heaver, but still 380ish with over 4 galons of fuel. No need to buy an aftermarket tank like the WR. I'm not sure about the physical size of the WR, but the Versys does look like a full sized bike. I was looking for something WRish without the 36" seat height and settled on the Versys 300. They both share high reving engines that are powerful for their displacement.