Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! I'm gonna take this stuff. It is supposed to be NOT harmful to my Gortex gear or my tent unlike Deet. Had some good reports of it's effectiveness. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_13&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If anyone has used it and it's not as effective as advertised please let me know.

51sMNFe6SiL.jpg
  2. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do not drink a beer on the sidewalk!
  3. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No experience with that stuff, and I've tried to avoid DEET as much as I can. On clothing only, not on the skin. No matter what, I'd suggest having a bug net at all times as well. The little Therma Cell units work really well, IME. I work in a lot of bug infested remote areas, and I've been pretty happy with them. When all else fails, its long sleeves, and a bug net! Looks to me that with your attitude and experience, you're going to have a blast up here!

Jeff
  4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    TEWSTER, that Permethrin is well proven and will help to keep bugs from crawling on any fabric it sprayed onto.

And instead of DEET there's a new and improved product called Picaridin now that's as equally effective against mosquitoes but also repels biting flies. AND it isn't harmful to plastic or rubber!

A headnet is still strongly recommended incase you're stopped somewhere without a breeze because the buzzing of a mosquito swam can drive you nuts!

A sleep mask is also recommended because it doesn't get dark up here around Solstice. Good times!

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks AK650 and AKDuc for the input. I have a mozzie net and a Thermacell I used to use during stake outs looking for bad guys. I'll get a bottle of the Permethrin and take a look at the Picaridin too. Many thanks. I've got a buddy who rides a S10 and uses a sleep mask. I'm always kidding him of being a girly man :).....I guess it's time to join the club! See you guys at D2D....

BTW AKDuc, I used to have a nice 2010 Ducati 1198 Corse I used for track days and just sitting looking at the thing of beauty. Here is a photo:

IMG_0693.JPG
    Scooter Addict likes this.
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    This one was fun too! Not really suited for the Haul Road though :lol3

RC.jpg
    Scooter Addict likes this.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    On my return to the lower 48 I'd like to take a ferry for something different. I've looked at the Alaska Marine Hwy website and have just about given up on it because of the complexity (to me) of trying to get info. Here is what I'm trying to do: "I want to go from Haines to Prince Rupert with my motorbike sometime in July".....looks pretty simple to me.....I must be really dense. I'll probably just call them and let them figure it out.
  8. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    per the Alaska Marine Highway System website:

Summer Schedule Available Through Call Center
    Reservations for the AMHS summer 2016 schedule are currently being accepted through our Reservations Center, by calling 800-642-0066. Online reservations for the summer schedule will be available in the coming weeks. The summer schedule can be reviewed online in the Sailing Calendar or Colored Schedule Grids prior to contacting the call center. AMHS call center hours are Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 5:00pm, AKST. We expect high call volumes following the initial release of the schedule and appreciate your patience. Reservations through April remain available online.

If the summer sched was up you click on Book A Trip button and follow the nav. I tried to set up a res using your criteria
    and found that indeed the system sched only extends to May 2016. You probably found the sailing sched is available
    under Travel Details and Schedules menus and yes they are hard to plot a course from. In your case I'd open two tabs
    with one being July Haines and a second one being July Juneau. You need a ferry from HNS to JNU and JNU to YPR (Prince Rupert.)
    There are ferrys that make the whole run (HNS to YPR) so you don't need to switch ferrys in Juneau. The MAT and COL
    usually make the run. There are several of us here that use the ferry system, ask questions. We'll probably answer before
    AMHS does....
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks for the help. I'll look up the MAT and COL....I want to keep it as simple as possible because I'm the simplest person I know :-) I'm looking to find out if the cost will be in my budget. Do you have an approximate cost from your experience?
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Well looks like I learned something....if I go to the "Book a Trip" page and enter from Haines to Prince Rupert one passenger one way without entering departure dates it gives me a list of sailings for a two month period. Looks like the winter rate for me and my bike is $89 for me (driver half price) and $234 for the bike....$323 looks like a bargain during the winter. Anyone know how much the summer rates go up? Thanks.
  11. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you do the ferry trip, you will love the ride to Haines. The Haines Junction to Haines leg, is a beautiful stretch of pavement. If you like beer, do not neglect sampling Haines Brewing Co. Some of the best beer in AK in my opinion. Black Fang, and the Spruce Tip, in particular.

Jeff
  12. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to go to McCarthy/Kennicott mine. Well worth the trip.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I will certainly add the brewery to my list!
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I read some about the Kennicott Mine. Looks like they are restoring it and it's something I am interested in, thanks.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    This is some funny stuff! I knew Alaskans had a great sense of humor :rofl
  16. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Not in Alaska, but funny. Should be an Ironbutt bonus stop!
  17. QualityNut

QualityNut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I loved it! The pilot reminded me of Carl Spackler in Caddyshack!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. mjs91882

mjs91882 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun ride!!
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    For my last trip out west on the WR I used the yellow Wolfman Expedition saddle bags and they worked great. My travel kit is pretty lightweight but they were packed pretty full being only 20 to 24 liters each. This ride will be several months long and I'll be taking a bit more items in regards to the colder weather. I ordered a pair of the updated for 2016 Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags. 32 liters each should give me enough room with the same kit leaving room for any items I may pick up along the way. My Pelican top case is always only 2/3 full when I leave for the same reason. The new updated bags look good to me:
    M1016_Rocky_Mountain_Saddle_Bags_a_0a36ec5b-236c-486a-aa73-fca2f9643844_1024x1024.jpg
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Here is a list of spares I will be taking. I plan on putting the chain, front sprocket, levers, and bearings in the PVC tube I have mounted on the front frame downtube. My tire levers will be in a Wolfman bottle holder strapped to the saddle bags. The tool roll will be in the bottom of one of the saddle bags because I'll never need it as the bike never breaks down :raindance (fingers and toes crossed)

DID Gold XV2 110 link chain (hardly ever needs adjusting with the 25 hp of the WR)
    master link
    47 tooth rear sprocket (Bolted to the inside of the right saddle bag rack)
    13 tooth front sprocket
    brake/clutch/shift levers
    CNT fuel pump (I read the problems have been solved but Murphy follows me sometimes, it's only $30)
    front and rear wheel bearings with seals (I'll be leaving with about 20k thousand miles on the original set)
    2 oil filters (can't get them at Walmart)

Any other suggestions are much appreciated, thanks.