Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good Lord! I just went to the site that is so cool! I'll read the report later tonight. Sure makes me look like a pussy :raindance
  2. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike chronicled a great ride. With award worthy pictures. My favorite line was his crossing Atigun Pass. I recall it was something like "It was so cold, I ate a granola bar so my body could warm. But it didn't warm, and I cried for God. And then I cried out for my Mother. . .." :deal
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Just read the section about the Haul Road....geez that guy's got some huge balls. Bravo! Here is a photo of his Rukus at the summit of Atigun Pass from his blog...kinda give you a perspective of what the guy accomplished. 50cc...yep I'm a pussy. 5518046_orig.jpg
  4. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, I wouldn't say that at all. The adventure is in the doing. The hurdle is to do it. :thumb
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tewster, you should also look up an inmate named Big Dog out of Missouri. He and a bunch of guys did a ride report. Don't remember if it got to Alaska, but a lot of Canada. He was on a WR also. Did abandoned rail road beds and stuff. Might still have tracks for you.
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hello Mr. Drunk Uncle, great minds think alike! I used BigDog's Wr build as a good guide for setting up mine when I first got it. I read his RR where he went to Alaska and all over the U.S. on his WR. He has a great website if anyone is interested in seeing his great set up. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope to see you at D2D this year. It will be my first.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    This is good....$0.71 Canadian to $1.00 U.S, Hope it holds. If I have $6,000 budgeted for the trip that means I'll have an extra $1800 for beer.
  8. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about poor Dick in Dawson, I'm hurting big time!
  9. jackrabbit56

jackrabbit56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim, I'm curious about your set up for inflating your mattress. I bought a BA insulated pad this year and get pretty dizzy giving it a blow job!
    Cheers
    John
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Haha. My girlfriend usually services the air mattress because she can suck a tennis ball through 50 feet of garden hose....but I'll be alone this trip so.... I use a $15 Intek 12 volt air pump from Walmart. Really small and light. I cut the cigarette lighter plug off the end and put a coax plug on it that I can plug into the lead I use off the bike battery for my heated gear. I then got a 2 inch long 1/2 inch in diameter (inside diameter) piece of tubing that slips over the Big Agnes pad inflator inlet and the nozzle of the air pump. Here is a photo of the stock pump before I cut off the cigarette lighter plug:

intex-recreation-66626ep-12-volt-quick-fill-dc-electric-pump_4051298.jpg

And here is a photo of the pump/tube/pad inlet. It takes about 45 seconds to blow the pad up. When I break camp I then use the pump in reverse to suck all the air out of the pad to make it super easy to roll up. Simple and never has run the battery down when I've use it. You can't see the power cord in this photo because I used an old battery powered pump I had to do the photo.

IMG_0709.JPG
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'll give you $400 worth of beer if that will help....:)
  12. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Pssst... Wine... The Dick likes red wine...
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep I hear he wines a lot haha.
  14. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Hey, my used TKC80 cost me a bottle of Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon Red! Best tire deal I've ever gotten! That tire made it all over the North for weeks then back to Denver! Thanks Dick! :thumb
  15. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a very nice bottle of wine, very much enjoyed and definitely not any cheap shit like I have had to face from some dumb asses. Looking forward to another riding season!
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Whoohoo! By chance I went on the REI website and saw they had the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 degree down-tek sleeping bag on sale for $199...regular price is $329...I got the last one. I have a nice 35 degree LL Bean down bag but wanted a warmer bag for the trip. Also got a Thermolite Reactor Plus bag liner. Hopefully I won't freeze now.

Lost Ranger 15 Front-zm.jpg
  18. jackrabbit56

jackrabbit56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very slick Tim. Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    John
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks...at my age I need all my breath to keep my eyes open :)
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    For those of you that have the small Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag....I replaced the tiny map holder that comes with the bag with one of their map holders made for the Blackhawk bag. Fits perfect and holds a much bigger area of a map. I needed that because I hate to stop a lot and refold maps when I run off the edge.
    00Buck and zekester63 like this.