Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DSC00267.jpg
    (photo from a previous ride last year to introduce myself)

Hello Everyone,

I've left on my longest ride so far (for me) a few days ago. The planning of the ride can be found on this thread where I discussed my bike, set up, equipment I am taking, and routes.

I spent the last few months reading all the great ride reports here on ADV about Alaska. I learned some great things from you guys and girls. I never anticipated my initial thread in the Trip Planning section would grow to over 28 pages, almost 24,000 views, and 555 comments...much appreciated! You can read about my thoughts on traveling on my WR and a little about me in that thread.

Here is the preface I posted in the "Trip Planning" thread.

"I'll be leaving my home near Asheville NC the middle of May and heading to Alaska. I'll be riding my trusty WR250R Yamadama that has served me well for many miles (Coffee And New Friends, One 250cc Explosion At A Time). The little bike is now well sorted for comfort as is my travel kit. I've got as many months as I want to wander around. My travel style these days is low and slow. Camping mostly with the occasional friend I've met through the forums. I plan on going west out to Utah then north to Deadhorse before turning south back home".

I am currently at my office sitting in booth 14 at a McDonald's in Goodland Kansas. I've ridden across the plains many times and this trip I decided to take the WR in my truck out to a buddies house in Boulder Colorado, leave the truck there, and then really start the trip on the WR. It was a good choice as the winds across Kansas were howling as usual.

The first night, to save money, I slept in my truck...it didn't go so well...

IMG_0284.jpg IMG_0283.jpg

If you want to experience scoliosis and a crick in your neck all you have to do is spent the night in the back seat of a pickup truck parked in a truck stop. If I find the guy who suggested to me that it would be a great way to save a few bucks I'm gonna cut his nuts off. :hair

I finally dozed off to sleep at 1208 am.... Then at 1209 am, being the elderly gentleman I am, I woke up and had to pee. I sat up, hit my face on the seat, and knocked my glasses, that I had so carefully put on the center console, down between the seat and the console. Took me about 10 hours to dig around to find them. Then when I leaned across seat to unlock the truck it felt like I broke 5 ribs.....:dirtdog

Anyway, I stumbled back into McDonald's here at the truck stop and drank 8 cups of coffee. I figured if I was going through all the trouble of getting back up to process it again I was gonna make sure it was worth it :lol3....now it's 0630 central time and I'm up and at em.

Today will be a nice slow drive across Kansas. I don't need to be at my buddy Vic's house until tomorrow so lots of stops and sightseeing, cheers.

And then a great camping site at the KOA in Goodland Kansas...

IMG_0298.jpg

I'll be on the road about three months as I wander around the American West for a month before crossing into Canada for the run to Dawson City and the Dust 2 Dawson event. From there it's riding most of the great roads and highways that have been recommended by you all in Alaska.

The GPS database of all the motels, campgrounds, routes, and other stuff you all have recommended I created for the ride is at post #515 in the Trip Planning thread.

Thanks for coming along.

2. LadyFish4

LadyFish4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for this! We've just discovered your YouTube "journal" of past trips. What a great bunch of videos! We're excited to follow along for this trip and really look forward to the "journal" after you're home and have put it all together. It's a gift you give all of us with all the hard work and time we all know it takes to put something like the report and YouTube stuff together. Thank you! Godspeed.......
    Zeekster and Dominick253 like this.
  3. gssarasota

gssarasota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This guy is good. Yesterday I watched the last trip on you tube again. Great stuff.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  4. djfoell

djfoell Old enough to know better. Young enough to try.

Oddometer:
    Good luck to you and thank you for sharing.

I'm headed to Alaska next year, and I'll be following along as I plan and prepare for my trip.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  5. LudemJo

LudemJo Iron Butt Dreamer

Oddometer:
    This should be interesting. I am looking forward to it.

John
    Dominick253 and Alaskapac like this.
  6. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    You know I'm here Tim!

Call if you need me! :thumb
    Dominick253 likes this.
  7. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Dominick253 likes this.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. I'l be doing simple post and updates as I meander. The video series will get going a few weeks after I'm back (in August) and have time to sit on the porch and edit. I'm currently just outside Denver having a coffee. Just got an email from Vic in Boulder where I'll be staying tonight...seems he mentioned something about pizza, beer, and wine...life is good.

BTW the crick in my neck is gone :-) Last night sleeping in my new Nemo Sonic 15 Long 850 fill down sleeping bag was great! Temp when I got up this morning was 40 and I was snug as a bug in a rug :clap

2417_6.jpg
    Hi-De-Ho, FJ Fun, Zeekster and 6 others like this.
  9. BeemerBOI

BeemerBOI Dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    Any RR that involves Alaska or Canada gets my attention in a hurry.
    I'm in !
    :lurk
    SMURPH likes this.
  10. Seadragon16

Seadragon16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're following along! Great to meet you and looking forward to following your adventures now that our current one is coming to an end :D
    Dominick253 likes this.
  11. Free Radical

Free Radical High speed drifter

Oddometer:
    I am IN!
    Dominick253 likes this.
  12. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    Safe travels :clap:clap
    Dominick253 likes this.
  13. wncrider

wncrider nOOb in post count only

Oddometer:
    Tim - sorry my current knee injury kept us from that weekend ride before you left. I will have to live vicariously through you until I can saddle up again, which is about the time you return.

Have a good one and rubber side down! I'll be following along.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    And he's off
    Dominick253 likes this.
  15. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    I am in for this one as I now realize I should not have sold my WR! Standing by to be impressed!
    Dominick253 likes this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Have great trip man!! Looking forward to updates.:lurk
  17. v4play

v4play Throttlephile

Oddometer:
    Yea! Another Tewster2 journey!

Really like your style and looking forward to your updates. Have fun and stay safe...
  18. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In...keep it coming...
    Dominick253 likes this.
  19. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    In on a great report.

Just came back from an 8,000 mile trip to Panama and back on my WR!
    What a terrific travel bike it is!!

FYI I am leaving in a few weeks to Alaska also. But taking my big bike,this time. Maybe see you up there.

Dan
    Dominick253 likes this.
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Wow thanks for all the great comments. I am currently at my friends Vic and Hannah's place outside of Boulder CO. Vic and I are talking bikes, guns, and hunting. Hannah brews her own beers and is making pizza from scratch for tonights supper. I knew there was a reason I stopped here....photos to come later tonight :clap

In the morning I'm heading to Pikes Peak. Got to call in morning to see if the road is open. Weather report is for 35 degrees at the summit, clear skies, and soft, winds...perfect!