Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Bucky! That new AT is really looking good. I may take a closer look myself later this year. Give me a call when you get up my way for beers and grub. Later...

Eurosport are good people. We'll get together there soon.

Hey Gary. You will love the Museum Of The West in Cody. It is the preeminent place for firearm and western history for sure. I'll be near Glacier the end of this month. Keep in touch and we can get together. I'll be camping at Colter Bay Campground in the Teton NP for a couple of days the end of the month also.

Hey Kelye. I'm gonna do the Beartooth then through Red Lodge just east of Bozeman. When I get to Red Lodge for the night I'll give you a PM to see if you are around.
  2. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1...loved the firearms exhibit in the Cody museum.
    IAJeeper likes this.
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Day 14 (morning)

Grey and cloudy this morning. Temp around 60. Rain forecast....sucks but you have to enjoy what you are given. We are all allowed about 30,000 days (82 years) to live. 6,000 of those are spent working (from age 16 to 65 8 hours a day). 10,000 days are spent sleeping (8 hours a day).
    That leaves about 6,000 (16.5 years for everything else (age 0 to 16 don't count))...better make good use of what I have. Don't hold me to the accuracy of my math...I haven't had my coffee :bore

I'm headed for a sausage and biscuit and a senior coffee at Maccas....
  4. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Cody Museum (Buffalo Bill?) we arrived a half hour before closing and they let us in for free. We went back next day and spent more time there. I think we ran across this friendly rider in Red Lodge, not sure, somewhere in that area.
    thumb_DSCN5403_1024.jpg
    NorthPole likes this.
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Haha nice. I'll be in Red Lodge later this week. You can spend a whole day at the museum and not see it all. Really impressive. Right now I'm holed up at a Maccas in Delta UT watching the rain and lightning outside.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    While I'm sitting here I may as well tell you all about the problems I've had with the WR.....not a single one. It does however attract lots of girls.
  7. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    The last time I went on a camping trip in the mountains I had an air mattress for comfort and a bag rated for 32F and I nearly froze. I bought a high density foam hikers pad at Wal-Mart, put it under the air mattress and I was snug as a bug. The sleeping pad weighs nothing and rolls up very compact.
  8. Rubiclonewr250r

Rubiclonewr250r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These are awesome bikes! I saw you in Nanaimo a few weeks ago at Tim Houston's! Very noticeable and we were wondering where you were off to! This is awesome

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  9. Old Codger

Old Codger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Tewster! Check out the Yodeler Motel on Broadway ave. In Red Lodge clean and cheap rooms and M.C. friendly.....Short walk to beer and grub....
  10. Cheap Ryder

Cheap Ryder Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer:
    I am here in Helena Mt. with a dry warm place to sleep and modest shop space for everything from tires to shift fork replacement. If you stop by I promise to bore you with epic tales of the Dempster highway and most of the roads in yukon territory. The first bike I rode to alaska was a 305 honda dream when it was a 7 year old bike.
    Gordon and seasider like this.
  11. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im 56 and Im waaaaaay over the 6,000 working days! I have never had a job where I only worked a 40 hr week. Im ready to retire!

I keep forgetting I qualify for senior discounts in many places now.

Hmmmm...does KTM offer senior discounts??!!:rofl
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Nice. I should be good to go now. Instead of getting another pad I decided that if the temps are gonna be lower than 40 degrees I'm gonna motel it. Yep I'm a pussy :-)

Will do. I usually stay at the KOA north of town but if the temps are below 40...
    Hey how can I refuse. Let me check my route and I'll PM you in a couple of days to let you know for sure. Much appreciated thanks.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    You need to retire now. I retired early do I could have more time than money!!!!!!
    Dominick253 and AlH like this.
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Made it to the Huntington State Park and got a nice grassy campsite with power for $25. Got set up during a lull in the weather. Now in the tent surfing the web and updating the RR while the rain comes down. Nice rain though...gentle like me. Gonna head into the little town of Huntington to eat Mexican for dinner. The showers and bathrooms are nearby here at the park...gotta be prepared for the trots :lol3

On the way here I crested the climb on Hwy 31 at 9599 feet, 34 degrees, and raining. When I have wifi again I'll update with some photos. Don't want to use my LTE, whatever the hell that is, to upload corny photos.
  15. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I retired in 09, but I'm still working. I must have done something wrong. However, I only work 20 hours a week and have June and July off. That's why I'm setting out for the West on June 1.
  16. Taff1

Taff1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey buddy finally getting caught up on the RR,everything looks great !
    Hope your not missing me too much :-), ill definitely be ready and available for the next big ride !!
    Be safe Anthony
  17. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the ride... have enjoyed several of the places you've visited... SW CO, Moki, Valley of the Gods, Tetons, Glacier... trying to figure out a way to follow you to Alaska...

As a fellow retiree, I have also retired from sleeping on the ground. When I check in, I ask for the best rate... senior citizen, vet, or active firefighter...

After applying all the discounts, sometimes, they owe me...

Looking forward to the next installment.

NFE
    AdvRich likes this.
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey Anthony good to hear from you. Last trip out west was cool. We make a great team haha. I've been to many places we hit last time. Next year we can do Alaska together. Get your bike packed.
  19. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
  20. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pm me when you get close to Jackson Hole.

Eric