Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Dominick253 likes this.
  2. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Looking forward to the RR. I left for Alaska on the 4th of July 2012 and it was over 100 degrees all the way to Dawson Creek. Thought about shipping all my cold weather gear home but glad I didn't! It dropped into the 40s during the day as I approached Tok when a cold front rolled through! I was wearing every piece of clothing I had. When I went, gas was available at least every 120 miles.

Have a great Adventure and take lots of pictures.

Happy trails!
    Dominick253 likes this.
  3. LodiRider

LodiRider Dairy Queen Expedition Leader

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails. Hope they get your cream and sugar correct at every McDonalds - we know how it upsets you!
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The handmade pizza was awesome and the beer Hannah brewed was great! Looks like they like to photobomb each other haha.

IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0311.JPG
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:

Hannah is so particular about cooking her pizza that she has a metal plate made out of anti-matter that cooks the pie perfectly every time.
    She even has it engraved :lol3

IMG_0312.JPG
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey Caroline and Even. It was great to meet you guys when you stopped over last Saturday. Ride safe on your continued journey and one day will will meet on the road again.

When I get back you'll have to come over for the weekend. I'm sure I'll have some tales to tell.

Caroline and Even (see above) just got back from Panama. They had a great time. I'd love to ride down south one day. If I do then I'll surely pick your brain for tips!
    Zeekster and Dominick253 like this.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I've settled in for the night here outside Boulder. I met my host Hannah and Vic through ADV. Vic rides an awesome R1150 GS and Hannah has a beautiful F650 GS twin. They are leaving the middle of July heading to Alaska. We plan on meeting on the road at some point.

The weather here is supposed to be epic for a few days. Highs in the 70's and clear skies. After Pikes Peak I'll be heading (If they are open) over Weston and Cottonwood passes on my way to Buena Vista. More after the break...
    Zeekster and Project Mayhem like this.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I understand you need to ready for all kinds of weather on an Alaska ride. I have all my wool riding clothes along with the heated stuff I've had for years. I'm set for 20 to 100 degrees this time. We will see...

You know, I've stopped about six times at Maccas on the way out and so far each time the coffee was perfect. The free wifi at Maccas is a great thing because I can check each morning to see if the Warrant has been recalled....
    Zeekster and Dominick253 like this.
  9. ronburgundy

ronburgundy Famous Australian Explorer

Oddometer:
    Jealous guy from Australia here just back from a trip and sitting in my office dreaming of the next..
    Would like to get over that way one day.. I look forward to reading further..
    Dominick253 likes this.
  10. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    CDOT shows Cottonwood Pass still closed. Weston Pass is even smaller and doesn't even rate a line on the map. :cry Out of frame, top center, is (Rocky) "Mountain National Park" or Trail Ridge Road, also closed.
    Google "CDOT", click Local Road Conditions for this info. :beer

ETA: It's about 16 miles up to Weston Pass from the east side and it will probably be cleared as there are homes along that stretch. But from the top, down to Leadville, is much tighter and through the trees, no way for any road equipment to get through or sun to melt it clear this early.

They try to keep Pike's Peak open year round.

[​IMG]
    Dominick253 likes this.
  11. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Tewster2,
    Leaving June 11 for AK myself. Looks like I'll be a couple of days behind you, but I hope to run into you.

Ride safe!

Dave
  12. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great meeting you and having the opportunity to spend some time with you yesterday. Hope your ride today goes smoothly and we look forward to seeing your updates...and crossing paths with you somewhere North of here in a couple months!
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll save Cottonwood and Weston when I return to CO in late July. I thought I'd have to pass on a few things here in CO this early. Much appreciated.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave, keep in touch here and I'm sure we can get together...ride safe.

Morning guys, last night was great. I slept like the tender baby I am and will surely keep in touch with you as our rides progess.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I had a great ride so far this morning on CO Highways 285/126/67. I'm stopped in Woodland Park at my mobile office. The weather is cool, clear, and crisps. Pikes Peak is about an hour away....

Vic and Hannah....my host last night.

IMG_0317.JPG

Along Hwy 126 southbound

IMG_0321.JPG

BTW, many thanks to Hannah and VIc for the gift of a Buddhist Prayer flag for my journey. They tied it to my bike and said it is supposed to fray as I ride along. The frays will break off as I ride spreading prayers for safe travels to other riders from me. Pretty cool.

IMG_0319.JPG

More after the break....
  16. gssarasota

gssarasota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is cool. Thanks for the updates
    Dominick253 likes this.
  17. shotsprockets

shotsprockets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still a go for June 11th departure. See you in Dawson if not before. Safe travels.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  18. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great start Tim. I know your busy having fun - so thanks for the posting your progress, I'm looking forward to watching your trip play out.

Walt
  19. High Road

High Road Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Tim. I look forward to reading your ride report updates.
  20. Turbodog1000

Turbodog1000 Vintage Rider

Oddometer:
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 250, I am looking forward to following this trip.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk