Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to inmate Sleddog and Jason from Spotwalla I may have an active page for everyone to follow along soon....fingers crossed!
    Dominick253, jkoval and AdvRich like this.
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    In. Always wanted a WR as a 2nd or 3rd bike.
    Ride safe!
    RedlandDoug likes this.
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Until then:
    far-flung likes this.
  4. Kat-Man

Kat-Man n00b in training

Oddometer:
    You know I've had the same issues with my Big Anges "insulated" air mattress. The cold just drives right through it. I'm warmer using my thinner Thermarest.
    kojack06 likes this.
  5. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    :lurk. I'm subscribed, catching up with my ADV reading after a week vaca at VT hunting camp. My bud brought his new to him '06 klx250 to camp. I was impressed with it's tiny bike possibilities. It's not an enduro but it handled putting back roads and loamy trails pretty well. I'm looking forward to reading along, have a great trip!
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep I thought it would be great but not so. If it is gonna be really cold I'm just gonna get a motel....
    Kat-Man likes this.
  7. djfoell

djfoell Old enough to know better. Young enough to try.

Oddometer:
    I would say that 38 degrees rates as awfully close to really cold.

This is making me rethink my bedding plans for my trip next year. I have a couple of Big Agnes bags with the associated sleeping pads, and i might need to reconsider and take conventional bags and pads instead.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Good Morning,

Heading over towards 3 Step Hideaway ( N38 05.542 W109 04.903) today via Hwys 50/62/145/141. Never been there and hope to sleep in a tee pee because I'm really cool...

3-step-hideaway.jpg
    k7tbt likes this.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep I would. I love my Thermarest Trail Pro self inflating pad....but it was just too big to strap behind me on the seat of the WR. Plus it would make the bike look really overloaded and I want to make sure you guys don't pick on me :-)
    Dominick253 likes this.
  10. djfoell

Oddometer:
    A quick observation. You slept on that pad previously at 40 degrees and you were snug and warm, but you froze at 38 degrees. I would have to presume that the air temperature wasn't the issue, and instead it was the ground temperature that got you. The first time was probably at lower altitude, so the ground was probably quite a bit warmer. Maybe it's less of a problem with the pad and more of a problem with the location.

I also wonder if you might have had better ground cover under you the first night.

Thoughts?
    Dominick253 likes this.
  11. djfoell

Oddometer:
    Ok, I looked back at your pictures, and it looks like I might be at least partially correct. The night you froze, your tent was sitting on nearly bare ground. The previous night your tent was sitting on grass.

One more observation and then I'll shut up. It looks like you might have had your tent closed too tightly, which will cause it to trap too much moisture. I've done the exact same thing before and it sucks. Between breathing and sweating, your body releases a LOT of moisture. Get as much airflow as possible through your tent and also don't forget to air out your bag every chance you get to rid it of as much moisture as possible. If you do these things, I think you'll find that you'll sleep more comfortably on your trip.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a know it all because I know very little. I'm only offering observations in hopes of learning if they are accurate and to remind myself to do these things when I camp.
  12. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Tim... You're going to D2D on a 250... Of course they're going to pick on you!!!

Then they'll congratulate you on your ride!!!
    Zeekster and daave like this.
  13. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will love the tee pee. Plus there are nice cots to set your bag on.

Say hi to Scott & Julie. Will be there later this summer on the TAT run.

Dan
  14. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Coleman self inflating bed mat that l got from Walmart that is very warm and only cost $35. Much warmer than my Thermarest. If I have room I may bring both to AK. I think Walmart still sells them.

Dave
  15. Eaglpt

Eaglpt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may be missing some critical facts here; if so, I apologize. If you are sleeping in 30'S air on a mattress several inches high, the air in the mattress will cool and so will you. If you insulate the mattress from air and allow soil temp to warm the bottom, your bottom will be warmer. In hammock camping we routinely sleep in sub freezing Temps by insulating the hammock from below with a sleeping bag like quilt and wind breaking cover. For extra warmth we include a reflective layer to reflect body heat back to the sleeper. Space blankets are noisy but cheap, light, and pack small. I sewed one to a thin poly throw and have to remove it sometimes because I'm too hot. If you poke a hole in it functionality is retained.
    Sleep well, ride well!
  16. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a good position for you on Spotwalla
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep, the first night I slept on a really nice grassy area where the daytime temps were in the 70's and then cooled at night. Nice and warm ground that night. The next time I camped I was on the bare ground and the daytime temps were in the 50's so I froze.

Not a know it all and I appreciate the input. Both nights I camped the humidity was really low so it was nice packing the tent up dry. I get a motel every few nights, unpack the bag to let it relax and air out, and wash my two pairs of socks, shorts, and shirts.

I hope so because I'm really tender :-)

Will do. I'm spending two nights her in one of the rustic cabins. The place is awesome and Scott and Julie are gems.

Yes! Many thanks to Sleddog and Jason from Spotwalla for getting the page going....I'm a certified techtard :lol3
    Zeekster and Dominick253 like this.
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. I'm learning as I go it seems. I'm in Moab at the moment at a Maccas updating and plan on stopping by a big camping store here to pick up one of those metallic thermal ground pads.
  19. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Tim said he didn't mind sharing where he is at.

HERE is a link to his Spotwalla Public page.....

Say hi to Scott & Julie from be too Tim.
    AdvRich likes this.
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I arrived at the 3 Step Hideaway yesterday afternoon and nobody was there. I parked in front of the Cantina. There was a note on the door from Scott that said to anyone that stops by to make themselves at home until he gets back and there was beer and sodas in the fridge. How cool is that. I grabbed a drink and took a nap on the sofa. About an hour later Scott, Julie, Scott's brother and his wife came back. Introductions were made and I felt like a family member. These folks are the real thing. I grabbed one of their rustic cabins for two days.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

Chillin on the front porch waiting for the folks to get back

IMG_0381.jpg

The two "greeters" at 3 Step Bailey and Sage....cool dogs....not a single bark and not real lickers....we played "get the rag" for about 30 minutes

IMG_0382.jpg
    RJ44, Bartimus, RedlandDoug and 8 others like this.