Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep that bike is in his shop... It's got almost a million miles on it now hahah

I was going to go north and loop over to Otter Creek State Park this morning through the Valley of the Gods but decided to take the southern route through Marble Canyon. Stunning road Hwy 89. I ride through the VOG road last year. Thought about camping at Muley Point last night but needed to do laundry.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  2. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'll look into Instagram. I thought it was only for hip and cool people and not a Luddite like me!
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Had a crap night at the campground last night. RV parks don't put much thought into the tent campers because we are generally poor and cause trouble. My site was scenic but when the wind spun up it blew sand all inside the tent. Then the people who have never left home in their big RVs ran the ACs all night. Sucked.

Anyway. I'm sitting in a Maccas in Kenyata Arizona having coffee and waiting for the rain that was not supposed to happen to move out. Gonna be about a 300 mile day today.

More after the break....
    Dominick253 likes this.
  4. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great start, have fun.
    Even I can Instagram!
    ki_ote likes this.
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sitting in Page AZ eating an apple pie. Gonna stop by the Glen Canyon dam to get a sticker for the whizzer then on to the park. May stay there a couple of days reading and napping.
    KemoSabe1943 and uintamts like this.
  6. ADVrider973

ADVrider973 FlyDriveRide

Oddometer:
    If you do go on Instagram check my account @ADVrider973 it was a trip in January 2015 with two other friends from Bahrain to Oman and back inspired by this amazing group of riders like yourself :beer
  7. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Camp at Lone Rock Beach. You will enjoy that area. Right at the Arizona and Utah border.
  8. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

It's a hard knock life,eh? :lol3
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  9. Kat-Man

Kat-Man n00b in training

Oddometer:
    I'll throw in a vote for Instagram too. Really easy to post a quick photo and a few words. And the user interface for you many thousands of adoring fans is simple and clean.
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Will do thanks

Should have. Froze my ass off last night.

Life is good haha

When I get some useful wifi I'll make an account
    Ginger Beard and ADVrider973 like this.
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Day 11

On the road again. Stayed last night at the Otter Creek State Park in southern Utah. $20 for a nice campsite.

Woke up this morning and the tent was iced over. Checked the temp gauge I have hanging off my tank bag and it was 27 degrees. No wonder my feet were cold.

I poked around as the sun warmed me and the bike up. Took about an hour to pack up. I'm pretty careful how I pack...making sure everything is clean and not abused. The stuff has got to last me a long time. I did make a rookie mistake and set my tent under a nice tree....bird crap on the tent. All was well as I grabbed a towel that was hanging off the back of the RV that ran a generator most of the night. It did a great job of cleaning the droppings off the tent....

I'm heading out to Nevada today byway of Cedar Breaks National Monument. May get a motel in Cedar City or camp at Rachel Nevada so I can spot some UFOs. Always wanted to ride Hwy 375, the Extra Terrestrial Highway.

Having breakfast in Panguitch Utah. Got me a cute little tart for a waitress. You'll have to wait for the photo when I stop at a Maccas in a few hours for the wifi.

More after the break...
  12. wncrider

wncrider nOOb in post count only

Oddometer:
    "All was well as I grabbed a towel that was hanging off the back of the RV that ran a generator most of the night"

You can get away with that stuff when you travel with an AR strapped to the outside of the bike. You did keep the AR strapped on for this trip, right? :lol3

I ate breakfast at the Flying M in Panguitch Utah last fall on my trip. My waitress was only average but she was handy with the coffee pot! and the breakfast was great.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  13. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know what the altitude was? (found it: 6380)

The SO and I spent the night in a tent at the top of Shafer Trail (White Rim access, about 5880 feet per GE) in April IIRC. I brought the canteens (water) into the tent with us, in the morning they were frozen into solid blocks of ice. :vardy Who would have thought it could get so cold in the desert? :scratch

ETA: Many years ago I decided it would be a good idea to winter camp at 11,500 feet at the top of Guanella Pass. Snowshoed a mile from the truck, pitched the tent in the last stand of trees and went to bed, without allowing for down compression on the snow. After a few hours of freezing my hip and shoulder (and listening to the wind howl above the trees), I put my sweatshirt under my hip and something under my shoulder ... and off to sleep I went. :snore
  14. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look forward to following your travels. Fellow WNC rider, living in Upstate SC. May meet at Eurosport someday.
    Good luck.
    Zeekster likes this.
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in too. Just found this thread. I entered the Alcan5000 in 2006 and again in 2010. I rode a KTM 950 both times. I entered my WR250R for 2014, but life got in the way. And yes, my competitors ragged on me for riding a 250, but I knew it would be a great mount. Mine is set up similar to yours but with a Safari tank and a Wolfman system. I keep it in Scottsdale and have ridden it all over the west. In fact there is a neat road called Smokey Mountain Rd that starts just north of Page out of Big Water. It runs for about 100 miles northeast to Hwy 12 at Escalante. Its pretty primitive in spots and you should have a riding partner, but it is a spectacular road through the Escalante Wilderness. It seems like your trip through the Yukon and AK is pretty early. Both of mine were in August and even then the weather was sketchy once north of BC. Snow and sleet. Driving rain too. Like for days on end. Good luck and have fun!
    Zeekster and Dominick253 like this.
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hahaha...left the AR at home and just brought a Claymore mine along :-) I stopped by the Flying M but it was packed so I went down the street to Kenny's...good food and pretty waitress :raabia

I think the park is at 8k feet...cold wind coming off the lake...sucked...

Sounds great. I get over to Eurosport most every week or so.

Howdy to ya. Yep there is good stuff around the Escalante area...really beautiful. The WR is performing great and some folks kid me about it but they are just jealouse I'm sure :lol3
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Day 10

Stopped by the Glen Canyon Dam on Hwy 95 near Page to get a photo and s sticker for the bike. Weather is great.

IMG_0418.jpg IMG_0420.jpg

As I was cruising along Hwy 95 at 100 mph I passed a cool looking little road the went out in the rocks. I locked up the rear wheel, spun a u-turn and went about a half mile down the dirt road and had a picnick...

IMG_0421.jpg IMG_0422.jpg
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Just past the intersection of Hwy 89 and 9 I saw a cool German backery...stopped and got a sandwich to eat for supper at Otter Creek SP.
    Hard salami and a yummy cinnamon roll would do me just fine. About $11 for both.

IMG_0424.jpg IMG_0425.jpg

A couple of shots of the campsite where my nuts froze and fell off...

IMG_0426.jpg IMG_0427.jpg

I'm in Cedar City for the night tonight. I'll come back to Maccas for another update after supper...
  19. gssarasota

gssarasota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tim I bet you are dying to use that white flag to wipe your bike down.
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hahaha...that white cloth is a Buddhist Prayer Flag that was given to me by my host Hannah and Vic when I stayed in Boulder. They said it would fray as I went along. The frays would break off and spread prayers for safe journeys to other riders as they went through the same area. I have however, stopped at every car wash I've passed :-)
    Dominick253 likes this.