Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few photos from day 11...I know I'm skipping around a bit...that's how my mind works...

Ice on my bike cover this morning...upper 20's...sucked

IMG_0430.jpg

Nice place for breakfast in Panguitch Utah

IMG_0434.jpg

My cute waitress...she was really nice and even smiled (slightly) at me one time...

IMG_0433.jpg

On Hwy 143 heading towards the Brian Head area at around 10k feet

IMG_0436.jpg
  2. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I was going to ride all the way out to Rachel Nevada today but decided to poke around western Utah one more day. I had a nice easy (slow) ride along Highways 62/89/20/I-15 and a short bit of 130 to Cedar City. On 143 I only rode about 35 to 45 mph...no traffic and the snow was neat. I was going to stop at Cedar Breaks National Monument but the road had not been cleared of snow yet and was closed. I got a couple of photos and headed to Cedar City for a short day. I got a luxury room at the Cedar Rest Motel for $39...perfect because I'm cheap :-)

IMG_0439.jpg IMG_0440.jpg IMG_0442.jpg IMG_0441.jpg

I called the "Lil Alien Inn" in Rachel Nevada and reserved a closet for tomorrow night...I think it is in a trailer...$47. I always wanted to ride Hwy 375 The Extra Terrestrial Highway in Nevada so I could pass by Area 51. Maybe I'll spot a UFO!

Tonight after I walk to supper here in Cedar City I've got to get some more baby wipes...they are perfect for detailing a WR chain...
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^ I kin see him twitch from here. :rofl
  4. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Some of you think I keep my bike too clean...here is a photo of my windshield today...I don't clean it until I get to a motel with sable wash cloths so I don't scratch it...

IMG_0444.jpg

This is interesting...my motel tonight is even decorated with abandoned cars and the remote for the TV is held together with scotch tape.

IMG_0445.jpg IMG_0443.jpg

The internet however is smokin...best I've had so far :clap
    Dominick253 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Unpacked the tent so it can dry...was covered with frost this morning. I'll have another room tomorrow so I needed to let it dry.

IMG_0447.jpg

I carry a small bottle of Woolite...fixin to get the Smartwool stuff nice and clean...will hang the stuff over a chair next to the AC unit.

IMG_0448.jpg
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Day 12

Last night was not really great. The people (animals) next door argued about something in a foreign language until about midnight. Ear plugs saved the night.

Left the luxurious motel in Cedar City around 0830 and went to the post office to mail home some stickers and nick knacks I had. Coffee at Maccas then west on Hwy 56. Light traffic and temps in the upper 60s.

Just before the Nevada border for gas and refreshment...there are a lot of miles between gas stops out here so I top off at most every convenience.

DSCN0194.jpg

Healthy drinking on the road...I promise not to post many photos of myself in case your cat walks across the computer, sees me, and coughs up a giant hairball on your keyboard.

DSCN0195.jpg

and good snacks for later...I am always careful when I eat almonds as one of my fears is breaking a tooth on the road so easy does it...but then again my dentist is a cute young girl who is obviously highly intelligent

DSCN0196.jpg
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yeah! This is the farthest west I've ever been on a motorbike. I spent about 15 minutes here taking a few photos and having a snack. Not a single vehicle passed by. Even took a pee on the centerline of the road...my kind of place.

DSCN0199.jpg

The colors out here are great. Lots of red stuff growing that makes the valley look like a red lake. I'm about 25 miles from the start of the Extra Terrestrial Highway. Temps are staring to climb and now are about 90 degrees with a 25 mph south wind.

IMG_0452.jpg

From this point through Rachel and over to Tonapah it is 150 miles with no gas available. I have a about 80 miles on the tank and the 1.75 gallon rotopax for insurance. Should be good...

IMG_0453.jpg
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Pulled up to a place that has fascinated me for years. I am a UFO buff and always wanted to see this place. The Little A' LE 'INN is the place UFO nuts (like me) meet to discuss that latest sightings. I went in, got a room in one of the trailers out back (more on that later), and ordered a burger. $6.75 was good and it came with two Area 51 stickers. Cool! I'll have some photos of the insides of the place later.

DSCN0211.jpg

You can get a room here for $45. They are in trailers scattered around the property. This is my trailer. I got the back room. It was clean, small, and had it's own AC. You can sit in the living room to watch TV and surf the net. Yep, great wifi here but no cell phone service.

DSCN0213.jpg

The restaurant/bar is open until 10 and appears to serve pretty good food. I'll head back over for supper.

Here is my office and the living room of the trailer. My room is down the hall on the right.

IMG_0455.jpg

Cozy...so far I'm the only one here for the night.

IMG_0456.jpg

9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    The little bike is running great. On the way to Rachel today (about 180 miles) I poked along around 50 mph. The scenery told me I didn't need to go any faster. It is wonderful when the weather is epic, there is no traffic, and I've got no place to be. I've not had to adjust the chain or do anything to the bike. Don't know what the gas mileage is but at my slow pace it's probably around 500 miles to the gallon.
  10. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Carry on. :*sip*
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    The inside of the "Inn" is pretty eclectic...there is about a million dollars stuck on the ceiling and enough Area 51 trinkets for anyone's taste.

IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0459.jpg IMG_0461.jpg
    Dominick253 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I asked Connie (the owner of the place) if I could get some iced tea. She gave me a cup. When I asked how much she said "you're a guest....I don't charge guest for tea...enjoy". Now this is my kind of place :-)

I sat out front in the shade for an hour or so
    watching all the tourist (like me) run around taking photos. What a life....it's a reward for working 52 years without a break....

IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0463.jpg IMG_0464.jpg

Another view of the compound out back...my bike is next to the porch on the middle trailer

IMG_0465.jpg

Tomorrow I'm headed to the Great Basin National Park to camp for the night. It is about 228 miles away to the northeast. That is perfect because the winds are supposed to be from the southwest at 25 mph...got a nice tailwind all day tomorrow :wings
  13. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best quote ever, love your reports, you've earned this, enjoy!!!!!
  14. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ain't retirement great.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks...now if I can get back a small portion of what I've paid in that would be nice :-)

Best thing I ever did :lol3
    Dominick253 likes this.
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sitting out on the porch with a cold beer watching for UFOs...nice night...wind has died down and the temp is around 70.

IMG_0469.jpg
    RJ44, Outbackwack, mikezx10 and 23 others like this.
  17. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    What a great trip so far! Thanks for sharing.
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll be near the Tetons in a few days. You anywhere near western Wyoming?
  19. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    No, I'm just east of central Wyoming, about 35 miles outside of Casper.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  20. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like an awesome trip mate! My wife and I are currently heading for Alaska before riding south to Argentina on our Honda CT110. You may beat us there though! We are currently in Prince Rupert British Columbia and will soon hit the Cassier Hwy northwards. Maybe our paths will cross! Keep an eye out for our two little bikes.

[​IMG]