Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do they have heated grips?!!:-)
  2. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been drooling over your reports for awhile now. I'm retiring from the Navy after 30 years in July and am taking off out west for I hope to be about a 1.5 month trip before I start another job. Have been watching your videos and taking a ton of notes. My brother-in-law lives in Great Falls, MT and am going to stay with him for a bit and ride the area.
    Zeekster, Uke, Higherhawk and 2 others like this.
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    May
    Man you guys are my heroes. I've read just about every ride report of folks traveling on postie bikes! I'd love to meet up with you to talk about your kit and get some more tips about small bike traveling. I plan on crossing into Canada the end of this month. I too plan on taking the Cassiar north. Safe travels my friends.
    Dominick253, jimmyb and Ladybug like this.
  4. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I was a Navy brat! I get really sea sick so I disappointed my father and joined the Army haha. Enjoy your ride. My route takes me right through Great Falls on my way to Glacier and the Canadian border. You gonna be there later this month? Would be nice to get some grub and talk.
    Dominick253 likes this.
  5. 4bigsky

4bigsky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim and Roger, be sure to give me a shout when you get to Great Falls. It would be great to meet you both. Enjoying the report Tim...ride safe and hope to see you soon.
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Howdy! I should be near Great Falls in a week or so. I'll PM you a couple of days before I get near.
    4bigsky likes this.
  7. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Stopped in Ely NV for gas. I left the Alien Inn and headed south on 375 then turned north on 318. The 135 or so miles from there to Ely my guardian angel had a 25 to 35 mph tailwind at my back. It was nirvana. I cruised along about 50 to 60 mph with no traffic through the utter desolation. The throttle was barley open and the tiny motor just sang a gentle little song. Just beautiful. I'll have some photos later.

BTW, I covered 175 miles and used 2.2 gallons...79.5 mpg :clap
    Dominick253, Uke, V-strom and 9 others like this.
  8. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet!:ricky
    Dominick253 likes this.
  9. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno know....Riding all over the west seeing the sites, drinking beer, camping on a MOTORSICKLE.....just doesn't sound like much fun to me. I'd much rather be here in Bell County working violent domestics, car crashes on I-35, robberies, burglaries....

:imaposer
    SMURPH and Dominick253 like this.
  10. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember going to the Great Sand Dunes back in the late 70's- used a quarter tank going in towing a camper, and used a half a tank coming back out against the stiff wind.
    Often wondered how many people had plenty to get there but not enough to make it back out not realizing what an effect the wind has.
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Me too! I really miss babysitting the dirtbags, fixing their problems in 5 minutes (I could type out an arrest report really fast) what took them 15 years to screw up hahaha.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Day 13...Area 51 to Delta UT via Hwys 375/318/50...334 miles

Woke up to a perfect morning at Area 51. Had a yummy short stack of pancakes that Betty made for me at the restaurant. Drank a couple of cups of coffee and it was time to hit the road. I took a photo of Betty (the cook), Connie (the owner), and Melinda (the waitress who called everyone honey and sweetheart).

IMG_0477.jpg

Took one last shot as I was leaving. This is an actual authentic UFO that crashed just outside the trailer I stayed in last night. Connie said it almost took out the chicken coop that used to be attached to the trailer. Really...it's true.

IMG_0478.jpg

I was on my way to the Great Basin National Park to camp for the night. I passed the sign for the Groom Lake Road. It is a dirt road that goes to the main gate to the secret base at Area 51. Everyone I talked to at the restaurant said it was super dusty and rough. I declined to ride the 18 miles in the dust just to get a photo of the gate...

IMG_0479.jpg

Spencer, a guy I'd met at the Inn yesterday had camped near the gate last night. He said the security guards drove by his tent about every 45 minutes all during the night. He said it sucked. He has a blog about his travels. Here is a link.

DSCN0214.jpg

Dominick253 and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    As I was riding north on Hwy 318 I saw a sign saying the road was going to be closed tomorrow for the Ely to Hiko auto race. They close the road for about a hundred miles and let cars run the public road as fast as they want. It's called the Silver State Classic Challenge. You can read about it here. The fastest car so far was running over 217 mph on the same road I was riding....I should have stayed around another day so I could kick their asses with the WR :-)

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 8.12.39 PM.jpg

Anyway, I filled up in Ely and the bike took 2.2 gallons. I had run the last 175 miles with mostly a 25 to 35 mph tailwind. So...after doing some complicated math (for me) it looks like I got over 79 mpg. Nice. To celebrate I went across the street and got a Happy Meal :D

Here are a few of shots from Hwy 318 and 50. Wide open spaces.

1234.jpg Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 7.41.05 PM.jpg

As I got near Delta there was a huge salt flat next to the road

76543.jpg

14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I was going to camp at the National Park but the ranger said they were full so on I went...

IMG_0482.jpg

I pulled into Delta and spotted the Diamond D Motel...looked sorta clean so I stopped. The nice lady said I could have a room for $40 total...sold! Had a nice dinner across the street and now I'm updating the report...been a good day.

IMG_0486.jpg IMG_0485.jpg

Yep, still a dork...

DSCN0220.jpg

Dominick253, KLRalph and ADVrider973 like this.
  15. B.B.

B.B. Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim, keeping up with your RR from here in Tampa. So far, looks like you're having a great time !! Have a safe trip and enjoy the "no-schedule" to keep. Retirement is worth working for !! Went through Archer last week and thought about you, low and behold I find you here on your RR. Can't wait for the video!! I'll be out that way supposedly on my Africa Twin ( if it shows up) in August and September. If the AT is delayed I'll be on the GS. If you're still out there, maybe we can catch up along the way.
    Cheers, Bucky
  16. pilesofmiles

pilesofmiles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tim,
    Great ride report..really enjoy the humor! Hope to meet you someday at Eurosport, they do all of my service. I hope to do a similar ride someday soon!
    I live in Shelby, NC...Enjoy the trip and keep the pics and posts coming!
    Dave
  17. Tike

Tike "I Think I'm Sure"

Oddometer:
    Good day Tim,

I’ve been reading your updates every chance I get. It sound like you’re having a great time.

I will be leaving PA at the end of next week (The 21st) heading west I would like to be in Cody Wyoming about the 23rd I want to visit the Cody Firearms Museum before heading Yellowstone and then Glacier for the end of the month.

There might be a chance our paths will cross and if so, I owe you a coffee or a beer for all of the insight you have provided me for my trip to AK.
    Thanks,
    Gary (Tike)
  18. Belgradian

Belgradian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tim, great report, I'm in Belgrade-Bozeman if you're passing through! Kelye aka Belgradian
  19. roger123

Oddometer:
    Cool, I won't be leaving on my ride until 7/24 and won't be out that way for a couple of weeks after that.
  20. roger123

Oddometer:
    Will do, thanks!
    4bigsky likes this.