Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AWESOME!!!
    4bigsky likes this.
  2. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brilliant videography (sp) as usual...but I could sense a bit of sadness in the narration. Been there, done that. There always seems to be a bit of let down once you reach that turn around point even though the trip is far from over and there are many awesome spectacles yet to see. Here's to hoping to see you someday out on the open road.
    zoid likes this.
  3. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tim,

We have never met, and most likely never will, but through your videos I feel like I have had a
    personal tour of some of the most beautiful country and people the planet has to offer.

Thank you.....

Steve
    LookingHard
    JagLite likes this.
  4. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep. At the end of every long ride my excitement gets a bit soft. But...I perk up pretty quick when I start planning the next one :lol3
    Hey Steve, much appreciated. We live in one of the most diverse countries in the world I think. Our infrastructure makes is so easy to travel in North America. For the next ride up to the top I'm not doing nearly as much planning. T-Minus 175 days until blast off to the north :thumb
    JagLite and djroszina like this.
  5. gluaisrothar

gluaisrothar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful job on the last episode, Tim. Informative and entertaining as always. I seem to remember from this RR that you had two punctures on the way back. Looks like you chose not to put them in the video on YouTube. I'm guessing that's just because you were a bit distracted at the time and did not video them?

Fellow WR250R owner
    Gavin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    No punctures on the way back...I'll have to check the RR to make sure I didn't get stuff screwed up. I did have two soon after I got back...they sucked haha.
  7. Stowaway

Stowaway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is us that must thank you Tim and Tess, for taking us along on your ride to those AMAZING places and people...
    As strange as it may sounds, i am looking forward to your next RR and videos and journey with your new "Tess".. :)
    Be well and have a merry Christmas and a wonderful and exciting New Year!!!
    Thanks again ...

Dimitris, Greece
  8. slimy

slimy Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow is all can say. I stumbled across you ride report (yes I really stumbled because I was drinking at the time) and had to read all 92 pages. Now I am watching the videos. Fantastic adventure and great story telling. I also have a WR250 and have put over 7000 miles this year riding around the country. I saw on some post you would be in Florida this Christmas. I live in Northeast Florida and if you have the time after Christmas I would love to buy you a beer and swap lies, I mean stories of our adventures. Always room at the house.
    gpax likes this.
  9. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clapMy wife and I sat down last night with a bucket of popcorn to watch Episode 8 on the "big" screen using Chromecast. It was time well spent viewing your latest excellent video. I join others here thanking you for the effort you have shown in putting all of the episodes together in such a professional and enjoyable way. I think I'll start watching them all again on my next rainy day. :clap
  10. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Tim, little did I know that meeting you in Hot Springs would lead to the unexpected pleasure of reading / watching your entire RR (with great pleasure) as well as a kind of new addiction to this site. Also inspired me to make the journey to Alaska departing July 8, though not on the RT, picked up a slightly used 650 vstrom for this adventure. Like others have said, many thanks for putting the time and detailed effort to put this RR together, Peg and I watched some of your videos together as well and plans are for her to fly to Anchorage to meet me for a few days of riding, you've helped create a monster - thanks much, hope to meet you again on the road sometime, all the best to you!

Mark (blue RT Canyon Motel in Hot Springs CO)
    gpax likes this.
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Morning Dimitris, Merry Christmas to you too! Glad you've come along for the ride for all these months. You comments and words of encouragement are much appreciated.

Howdy! Yes I will be in the DeLand area for Christmas. I'll have my 700 with me so I'll ride up and have lunch with you one day. PM me your number and I'll give you a call. I love telling lies about going out with Britney Spears and climbing Mt Everest 8 times :lol3

Hey Savannah Jack glad you like the stuff. Many thanks. The next series will be about next summer's ride to the top with several friends. It's gonna be fun!

Hey Mark. I often wondered if I'd hear from you again. Glad all is well. We all had a great time on the road last summer didn't we!

It's awesome you got a vstrom! You said you're leaving 8 June? We are too. We're trucking the bikes to MT then riding to the top from there. Let's keep in touch and meet up along the way. Look for a group that looks like a traveling circus with three matching 700s (and one red headed step child Africa Twin) :lol3

When you meet up with your wife in Anchorage be sure to ride down the Seward Highway to Girdwood and have the sourdough pancakes at the "Bake Shop" then take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez...she will love it (you too). Take care and keep in touch my friend.

BTW...I named my new 700 "Pearl"
  12. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish i could go.
  13. NCADV Rider

NCADV Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tim,

Thanks again for a great video!! We rode the Going to the Sun Road west to east in September, it was great to see it going the other way in your video. Our route took us along may of the same roads from Glacier to Red Lodge. We got snowed on in Red Lodge in early September and went to Cody to wait out the snow. Cody was a great place to be snowed in. We took your suggestion and went to the Buffalo Bill museum of the west for a day. We ended up riding Bear Tooth Pass several days later out of Yellowstone. The temperatures were in the mid 30's on top of Bear Tooth Pass with lots of snow on the ground on September 14. By the way Yellowstone is great in September. Not very crowded except for the major tourist places and bus loads of Chinese.

We will look forward to your 2017 adventures.
    gpax likes this.
  14. #1Fan

#1Fan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great video! Thanks Tim and Tess!!
  15. Stowaway

Stowaway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Tewster2, post: 31021572, member: 2

BTW...I named my new 700 "Pearl"
    [/QUOTE]

I don't know if you have followed the ride of Jason and Lisa Stafford, riding the American continent from South to North,
    known as Two Wheeled Nomads..
    The girl, Lisa, has a F650GS, also named Pearl.
    I think, currently they are up to the Great North as well...
  16. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    I felt a kindred spirit. I too bought a previously loved DL650 and am heading to Alaska in early June after watching Tim. I cannot for the life of me get my wife to fly up for a week. The more I asked, the louder the no! I've started a planning thread here: Tin Horn to the Klondike and beyond 2017. Wonder how many others are like us?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    loosesprocket likes this.
  17. loosesprocket

loosesprocket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just finished watching episode 8 and am hooked on a trip to Alaska also. I have been reading other Ride Reports for about a year and had a local friend who had been to Homer Alaska from Blairsville Ga where I live 27 times by truck. He brought me some Alaska Magazines and a copy of Milepost to study, he would get choked up just talking about Alaska and now after watching Tim's video series I know why. I am gathering information from all the RR and videos to plan my own trip in a couple years. Thanks Tim for sharing all of your trips, I started following your videos last year with some from out West, they are very well done with the narration and information of the route, where to stay and places to see which are all very helpful to anyone considering a ride to Alaska.
  18. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pearl... very nice! I named the vstrom Ruth, after Festus' mule.

Thanks for the ferry tip, I've been thinking of ferrying from Port Rupert to Whittier but would love to get Peg out on the water. I'll take all the tips I can get. Not to hijack your thread but do you by chance have a spreadsheet of towns, restaurants, motels etc? If not that's ok, I'll rewatch your videos and take notes this time!

I'm not departing until July 8, how many weeks you planning to be on the road, maybe I can catch your Caravan on my way north?
  19. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, it does feel a little comforting to hear of similar plans! Too bad your wife is not interested - mine had her own bike for awhile some years ago but is more comfortable as pillion, which is fine with me, I do some trips with, some without - she is very much looking forward to Alaska as am I! I'll keep an eye on your RR, best wishes!
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked the museum in Cody. I go there everytime I'm in town. It's an awesome place.

Thanks!

Haha we will surely have a caravan for the ride...gonna be fun!

If you go to this link there is a .gpx file I've put together over the years of all the recommended campgrounds, motels, gas stations, and other things in the lower 48, Canada, and Alaska that the folks on ADV have said were good. Just copy the file to your desktop then import to your GPS or Basecamp. I'm continually updating the file.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/alaska-canada-recommended-fuel-motel-campgrounds-food.1135092/
    Rosco P. Coltrane and HuskerBlue like this.