Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tewster2, May 4, 2016.

1. LeMaitre

LeMaitre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    During the winter I groom cross country ski trails. Most of the grooming is done with a snowmobile. Wind in your face, beautiful scenery, challenging terrain, clearing trees off the trails, getting stuck, and surviving 30 degrees below zero wind chills. Most of those apply to little trips to Alaska. :-)

-Mark
  2. NorthPole

NorthPole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riding the Denali Higway in the winter is a ride well spent. As well is the top of the world highway. I do miss the bike during the winter but make up for it with the snow machines.
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is really neat. I'd love to ride the Denali and TOW on a snow machine.
  4. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't a hovercraft allow for better drifting on the turns? :D
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I think a canoe pulled by a team of 50 sled dogs would be cool too :lol3
  6. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim, I really appreciate the effort that you put into the video as I have tried and failed miserably! I can however ride that route one day and appreciate it as much as you did. Thanks for the inspiration.
  7. cptnwightwen

cptnwightwen Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in the middle of my five months of winter, it is 9 degrees outside and all I can do is tinker on my bike, remember last summer's rides and dream of next riding season.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. sherpa7

sherpa7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If all of you go through Denver area, I have room for your bikes and all of you. Just let me know.
    GDP65 likes this.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks! My vids are labors of love between rides. Glad you like them.

It's all good to have something to look forward to if you can't ride. Gonna be lots of fun when you ride with us when we get to your patch in the spring. My friends are looking forward to you giving them the ADV salute :lol3

Much appreciated! I'll keep your info and if we get to Denver I'll give you a shout :thumb
  10. numb nut 1

numb nut 1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you Tim for an outstanding report. Your engaging writing style and humour made for a few lovely evenings worth of reading and the info will be mighty helpful for our ride to the far north. I joined ADV based on your RR.
    We are a group of 4, riding KLRs and Dakkars, aiming for the Dempster. We (Numb Nuts Adventures), started 5 years ago with the east coast and the Trans-Lab and we ride about 4000 km each year, then store the bikes (so far at bike dealers). They are presently in Denver CO, planning for Calgary in June. We are all in our 60's, no retirement in sight, so we can only do the ride in 8-10 day installments, slowly and with some gravel travel every year.
    Given your experience, we maybe should review our plan to store the bikes in Whitehorse and consider Anchorage instead (planned for 2018, but at our age health, kids' weddings and grandkids' needs intervene). I'm looking forward to reading the next RR and with any luck, we will run into each other (figuratively) in our travels. I'd be delighted to meet you if you decide to ride toward Toronto ON.
    Thanks again and ride safe.
    Martin
    GDP65 and SavannahCapt like this.
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Morning Martin, thanks for the great response and post. Much appreciated. Welcome to the asylum! The folks here are the best. I spent many long days and nights reading other's ride reports and learning from them about riding in the north. My RR was the culmination of using what I learned from others. I had a great time and I'm sure you and your buddies will do the same.

I retired in 2014 and since them have enjoyed the freedom to travel when, where, and for as long as I wish. I've never ridden the Dempster and it is on my list to experience soon. From what I've seen it's probably the most beautiful road in Canada. It will be cool when they get it extended all the way to Tuk!

I've found it MUCH more relaxing to trailer my bike across the Great Plains these days. I've let the winds beat me up for decades. There are many great places to see in TN/AR/MO/OK but now it's great to have a nice drive out to CO or MT, leave my truck there, then when I return, have a nice relaxing drive back to the house. I rode my little 250 out west across the Plains in 2015 but across KS and OK I felt like a ping pong ball in a tornado :lol3

I'll PM you my contact info and look forward to talking to you in person. I type with one finger and a thumb :-) I added your location and info to my "Road Friends" list and when I get in your area (I want to ride NFL and the Trans Lab one day) I'll show up on your doorstep!

Cheers, Tim

12. Bacca

Bacca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of the best ride reports I have read! On my third trip thru Whitehorse in 2014 We stopped at McDonalds for coffee. When I went for my usual free refill I was told "We don't do free refills". I huffed back to my seat and complained to my riding buddies that never before had I been refused at McDonalds for a free refill. Then a total stranger set a cup of Coffee in front of me. He was a local and had been in line behind me and overheard the conversation. He said he didn't want me to judge Whitehorse by one incident. I invited him to join us and learned that he had moved there 25 years ago and recently retired from a logging company. We learned more about the area from him than all the tourist stuff you could find on line. Funny how one little thing can change your impression of a community. I left the area with a good feeling and a friend in Whitehorse, YT.
    sandsman, GDP65 and td63 like this.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Nice. Maybe if I'd of spent more time in Whitehorse my experience would have been better. The combination of gang graffiti, bad experiences at two businesses, and the look of the part of town I stayed in left me in a bad mood. I'll give Whitehorse another chance this summer with a bit more open mindness :thumb
  14. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Folly1 and I stayed in Whitehorse going up and coming back at the downtown Westmark.(BTW, the Westmark has nice laundry facilities and a decent restaurant). We were able to park our bikes very close to the front door both times. Other than a couple of First Nation panhandlers things appeared very normal. I came away thinking that the warnings to stay out of Whitehorse are exaggerated. I would advise all travelers, however, to behave as a guest wherever they go and not take expectations of how things are done at home. This is especially true of the far North.
    Folly1 and mikegc like this.
  15. twowings

Oddometer:
    Tim, do you have any plans to see Homer or Haines this time?
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Probably not this time as my friends from OZ have a limited time for the ride this summer. Next summer Haines and Homer are on our list as we will be on the road about 4 months and will have lots of time to wander around.
  17. twowings

Oddometer:
    I'm having a difficult time with the decision to turn north or south from Fairbanks...on the one hand, why go all that way and not knock off Deadhorse?...BUT that seems more of a moral victory at the cost of a bunch of miles that could be applied in the more scenic south...time is not the issue, but money is since I'm retired....arrrghhh! I should just go every year like you!
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Haha I look at it this way. Deadhorse is a destination...but the ride up and back with the landscapes to look at, the people to meet on the road, and just being immersed in one of the least populated areas on earth is what counts for me. "Scenic" means different things to each of us. I'll take the arctic tundra and Atigun Pass over the chaos that is the Seward Highway and fighting for a place in line to get gas at Glennallen any day :lol3

There are many things I should have done in the past and wish I had....now when another motorcycle rider finds out I rode to Alaska they always ask "Yeah but did you do the Dalton?"...it's a great feeling to say "Yep sure did".

I'm an average guy who's never climbed a mountain, won a medal at the Olympics, or dated a super model....but I can say I've ridden the Dalton and that feels good....if you only visit the "scenic" places then you're only a tourist. Go to Deadhorse :thumb
    Bacca, k7tbt, DSM8 and 2 others like this.
  19. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll second Tewster2's reply. I have done the Dalton twice and would do it again in a heartbeat. Scenery and immensity is awesome.
    Bacca likes this.
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey Ron! You wanna go back to the top with us again this summer?