Tip of the Mitt riders (MI)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by RennyGade, Apr 27, 2010.

1. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got out for a ride on my newly revamped lightweight adv steed!
    [​IMG]
    Now if the damn snow would go away! I am ready for some Dual Sport riding and camping!
    fastdadio, Clebner and KTM Mike like this.
  2. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive manged to get out for 3 short rides on the 990, and once on the 300. Until recently, the back roads have still had plenty of snow, mud and ice on them - though I suspect we may be past that now. Im looking forward to spring really arriving....and its getting closer - assuming of course the current storm system headed our way doesnt set us back to far!
  3. dsmonstar

dsmonstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey hey, is that the JNS headlight or the ebay copy? Only reason I ask is because I have the copy and it doesn't hi/low. Sorry off topic but I never see anyone with them.
  4. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    I am looking to find my way up there this summer. Got me a CRF250L that needs riding.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  5. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. I got the clone at only 30 bucks, so when it goes out I'll get the OG one. Like you said, kinda pricey. Mines running with a cyclopse RR led plug for the AC. 20190324_103013_HDR.jpg
  6. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    Yeah the manufacturer has been emailing me and requesting pics and video but has yet to send another, it's suppose to be hi/low with thr center has switchable but seems internally wired wrong...still wonderfully bright and actually nice quality. You aren't far at all, I need to explore that area. There's a ride to the thumb and trail ride on private land(ripfest) May 4/5 if you wanna come. I ride there and do the dual sport tour, little camping, little riding.
  7. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, I need to ride around your area anyway. We'll get together soon and explore.
  8. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone in the Tip of Mitt actually riding? MotoChron and I had a fantastic weekend of riding. Rode the Rites of Spring Dual Sport route both Saturday and Sunday. 189 Miles Saturday, and another 80 today. What a great time. IMG_20190504_100953986.jpg IMG_20190504_125812344.jpg IMG_20190504_130032836.jpg IMG_20190504_132351682_HDR.jpg
    MotoChron, budsboy and Eternal Sun like this.
  9. thump

thump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone been in the tomahawk trail system this spring , hows things ? Heading to indian river next week to ride for a few days. Any intel on surrounding trails?
  10. blackjackbender

blackjackbender n00b

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations on a ride out of the Clear Lake area over 4th of July weekend.

I have rode the MCCT in the area, part of black lake, and hit of Tomhawk trails in Wolverine in April. Looking for a couple suggestions for a day ride with having the bikes and maybe a good route for a 2 to 4 hour ride in the morning. It would be a 2-3 person group with plated KTMs 500s.

If anyone wants to meet up and play guide we got lunch and beers at the Elbow.
  11. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have tons of options out of Clear Lake. If your interest is ORV trail, you can ride right out of Clear Lake State park and get onto the Atlanta A Loop - which connects with the B Loop...which connects with the C Loop. If you are looking for more of a Dual Sport - take a look at Google Maps, and find County Road 622 just south of the state park. Head west - tons of fun back roads and two tracks. You can also work your way south, following the MCCT south of M32, and either follow the MCCT or maybe get onto Avery Lake road - or again, tons of fun dirt roads.

I live right along the MCCT just south of M32. As of right now, I dont know if we will be around the weekend of the 4th or not. If I am, I might be able to meet up with you. We might even talk @MotoChron into joining us.
  12. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just go exploring, you can't go wrong. Mike and I ride a lot in the Atlanta area, and at times find trails we haven't hit before. There are so many trails, 2 tracks, well roads. I am on call that weekend so probably wouldn't be able to ride, unless the weather is cooler than normal. Have fun.
  13. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blackjack, it looks like I won't be around the weekend of the 4th. Mrs. KTM and I will be wandering around on the 990, most likely in the UP. I'm sure you will have a great time. Worst case, like MotoChron suggested, just go wander !
  14. blackjackbender

blackjackbender n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response, maybe we will run into each other one of these days. Delayed reply on my end. I have been slammed with work and currently work out in New York state. I am hoping to be up there early next week but I still have a flat I need to find time to change and a 12 hour drive up there so it may need be until after the 4th until I am there. I actually have been coming up to the area since I was a child and have a family cabin off of 622 right near M33. If you see a big guy riding a KTM 530 in the area it is most likely me.

I am familiar with the ORV routes in the area when I did regularly took my jeep in the area 10-15 year ago but not so familiar with much of the single tracks expect between town and the Tomahawk Lake. I will try exploring out west on 622. Mostly looking to find some good single tracks that are low on the sand and whoops but maybe I am asking too much. Probably will be making a day trip over to Wolverine to ride Tomahawk trail A or C loop as we rode B loop earlier this year.
  15. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, Mike,

Don't know if you remember, but I had lunch with you and Sheila a couple of years ago at Applebee's in Gaylord on my way back from a trip to the UP with my Africa Twin.

Question: my son and I are scheduled to hit the UP this week Thursday for a few days of dual sport riding, and we originally thought we would ride the two-tracks outside of Newberry. With all the rain the UP has been getting, I also thought about the Atlanta area (never been there). You mentioned some good dual sport riding around 622. Can you give me an update as to the condition of these trails, given the rain we've been having?

Thanks,
    Bill
  16. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill,

Yeah I remember you!

I rode on Saturday with Moto Chron. Overall in great shape. Rain makes sand so much more pleasant to ride. No issues with standing water really, sure some big puddles to splash through, but no problem.

Tons of options in the area. Off 622 is good, plus many many other options. Saturday I was riding south of Atlanta, some MCCT, some Hunt Creek loop, and a bunch of two tracks etc. One of my favorite DS rides is from Atlanta to north of Vienna.

Rain is in the forecast this week, better later in the week.

Lmk if you come to the area. We might connect at least for a burger and a beer!
  17. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mike!
  18. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something prompted me to look up this old thread - I guess I was wondering what ever became of any of you Tip of the Mitt riders. I didnt do my part and post anything here all year either - so you are all excused. 2020 was a shit year for riding for me between the impact Covid had on travel plans and some health issues (not Covid related). Anyhow - I am hoping for 2021 to be a way better year for riding. Merry Christmas to everyone. Hang in there only 93 days until spring!
  20. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live about 30 mile WNW of Atlanta. This year I modded my Strom to rip around the Pigeon Forrest.
    A lot of fun, close to home. The heater in the garage is ready for winter projects that will keep me busy until next season.
    That's my secret to get through the winter - keep playing with them in the shop.
    Pigeon River 1s.jpg
    Clebner and KTM Mike like this.