Tip Over and Start no more! (2014 GS)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JR KLR, Jan 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JR KLR

JR KLR 1200GS & RT currently in the garage

Oddometer:
    Yesterday during a wonderful ride through the Texas Hill country I hit a patch of mud and had a soft tip over. No problem right? Picked up the bike and tried to fire up - wouldn't start. Gave it a minute and tried again. Nope. When you turn the key on the dash it shows an arrow going up from bottom to top that has a key at the top. Its only on for a split second. I think its the warning for the key not "handshaking" with the bike - the EWR - for theft prevention. Ugh! don't have my spare key with me and so called the tow truck.

Got home, got my spare key and tried to start it - same scenario....

The battery is fully charged.

Seems like when the bike tip over; and it was a very soft tip over, it instigated this.

Maybe not the EWR?

Anyone have any good ideas before I begrudgingly bring to the dealer?

John (2014 1200GS)

Attached Files:

2. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I’ve had this many times. Fortunately, it resets after a few minutes with the bike upright. Also have problems turning the bike off when it is on its side. I’ve learned to live with it on my 2016 GSA
    JR KLR likes this.
  3. JR KLR

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply- I think you may be referring to the tip-over sensor that is supposed to cut off the engine when it falls over. Unfortunately mine wouldn't restart- even after many ties and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to force a reset. Thats why I suspect its a key EWR issue- but how would a tip over cause this? or maybe just coincidence....
  4. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    Is it possible you damaged the side stand thingy that prevents a start when its in the down position. Not sure what its called but I know some people put some protection over it to prevent it being damaged because if it is, regardless where the side stand is (up or down) it prevents a start.
  5. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Nope. I wish. My bike never turns off when it rips over. The push button doesn’t cut it. Have to do the kill switch. Then when upright it often won’t start for a bit.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    coming up short here. I've had my bike upside down, got it upright and starts right up (just a lot of white smoke that subsides after 10 minutes)

I've had 2 drops that did cut the motor which is nice but most times, the bike keeps running
    Frank smith likes this.
  7. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Given the "EWR" message OP observed on the dash panel, I wonder about the immobilizer system. This could be a good time to try a gs911.
    LAFS likes this.
  8. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had exact same thing happened to my 2014GSA. It happened in my driveway forgot to put kickstand down. After picking it up, tried to start won't start. Called the dealer service manager said, (turn the key on and off 10 times rapidly, it will reset itself then you should be good to go). Sure enough on the 11th time waited 30 seconds then hit the start button she comes to life.
    Frank smith, Ron50, glen gs and 2 others like this.
  9. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, WR250R, R80RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whoa, that’s like gospel. I’ll never remember all that in a year. I’m cutting and pasting it into the Note app on my phone. Thanks for sharing.
  10. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, WR250R, R80RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here. I always have to find the killswitch.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. JR KLR

Oddometer:
    Group,

Sorry for the late reply. When washing the bike and looking at side stand etc. I started thinking- every time I have a problem it turns out its the battery. My battery seemed fine with a bright headlight etc when turning the key on. However, I pulled out the battery and Brought it to the store to be tested and they said I had a bad cell. I bought a new one and installed and it fired right up. In my experience, the BMWs are so persnickety about having the right voltage; even the smallest amount below spec shuts its down (which is probably the key line indicator I saw on the dash). I wish BMW would have a "limp" mode to allow one to get home when the battery is low. I suspect the reason for the sharp cut off is for safety as the ABS brakes and other safety features wouldn't operate with low power. But at least I could get home! Or a better low battery indicator would be nice too!