Tips needed for hotel room in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by kalikali, Sep 21, 2019.

1. kalikali

kalikali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am on my second Europe trip and I find myself spending alot of time trying to find hotels with decent motorcycle parking and security. I do not have full coverage insurance (US plated bike) and the mc theft in most parts of Europe is a concern.

So far, I was generally looking for hotels that are on the outskirts, have front parking and relatively nicer, most time newer hotels. I always lock up the bike, multiple external locks,alarm, cover, etc. The problem is not much generally going on in out skirts which has its pros and cons and I can always cab it if I want to go out drinking. I would like to get a feel of what everyone else is doing.

Btw, I have been using Expedia for most of my rooms and lately the hotels have been giving substantial room upgrades for VIP users.
  2. Lutzebub

Lutzebub Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Plan in advance,

Booking.com... e.mail each hotel if in doubt...I never have problems in Europe
  4. Russtic

Russtic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most decent hotels will have a lock up garage somewhere nearby if you ask them nicely!
    Or a vast surprisingly huge underground bunker masquerading as a car park underneath just ask!
    Even in the Balkans we have even been invited to park in foyer!!
    City centre hotels may not be as accommodating but you need to ask and see what they offer
    However We often don’t bother as theft is less of an issue in Europe than the UK even
    MOst hotel staff speak at least some English e nglish and emails response time will provide an insight into a hotels interest in your booking
    Trawl trip advisor for bikermate reviews
    HTH
  5. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the biggest problem I have had in the past 4 months and for the next 5 months is parking!!!! too many sites say "parking" then read in the fine print it is "close by", either public or private and for the private, "charges will apply"....constant battle. I use booking.com mostly because it is easier learning the real deal. rarely I will use public parking "out front" depending on what the google satellite image shows. I may have to pay more but sleeping at night is better. I have a full bike cover and an alarm but.....just read the fine print, sometimes that extra $20/night for a room results in a better night's sleep. :y0!
  6. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Also check AirBnB?
  7. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the years, my time touring in Europe amounts to around ten years in total (NOT over a ten year period) ten years on the ground. I have never had a problem, either camping, city parking or outside any hotel. Even reading on here, it is extremely rare for anyone to actually have a security problem at all. Lack of awareness in big cities, maybe, but very few actual reported cases.

On liaison stages, I usually just crash in a cheap chain hotel, around €50 or less. Given the choice, I go for Ibis Budget (not the full fat Ibis, which is no sort of value in my experience) They both have always had a locked carpark.
    They have an intermediate brand, Ibis Styles, which I quite like inside, slightly better rooms, an A volonte breakfast built in the price - decent, in my experience, but they often lack enclosed parking, like the OP found, you have to make use of the public parking outside or across the street.
    Or a family run place, these are usually old school, having an array of outbuildings for stage coaches. Not much call for these now, so used for regular customer parking.
    Other chains are available, but I find most Ibis Budget OK for my needs
    I almost always use Booking.com for these. Reasonably accurate descriptions, although in towns and cities it pays to ask/double check on google. In villages, everyone goes to bed at 9pm so I never worry - never had even a glimmer of trouble.
    I rarely find Booking.com actually produces a cheaper room. In France, by law, room pricing must be displayed inside each room, the same most times, unless you are striking an out of season special. Got one of those in Menton a couple of years ago, very nice, but I wouldn't pass a whole lot of others just to save a few quid. They did also have sealed underground parking which was the clincher - if you have ever experienced the manic nature of traffic and parking down in the Menton/Monte Carlo environs, then you will understand the lure of parking at all - the secure bit was nice but unnecessary for me.

Booking.com has lots of places out in the boonies, from B&B's to chateaux. In my experience, the remote location, the long drive, frequently with a big gate is more than enough security for even the most paranoid.
    Most places in France will offer something to eat in the evening - or ask. I know it can be a pain to have to suit up to go out for a restaurant, but as scanning the Michelin Guide is most part of my route planning, I don't expect every doorstep to have a restaurant adjacent.

Another hotel reservation site/hotel finder is ViaMichelin, enter where you are/want to be, and hotels will populate the map before your eyes, radiating out from your chosen location. Not all will be super-luxe as favoured by some here, there are more budget orientated places too - same with the restauants. It is also a good way of sorting food and beds in reasonable proximity.
    Links to establishment websites are there too, although in Europe, still, not everywhere has a web presence.

As some one ^ mentioned, I have had quite posh hotels in Italy offer to let me bring my bike into the lobby/take it round the back. And I have also had Michelin starred restaurants take my dripping wet outer clothing into their drying room while I eat. The Maitress d' Hote carrying them off was a picture, but no stress to her, god bless her.
    Most of Europe, motorcyclists are treated with respect, and welcomed. Except parts of UK IME.
  8. DilanYah

DilanYah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Book your hotel in advance. To find a proper one use booking.com or any other similar hotel booking site and filter hotels by your specific needs.
  9. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been riding in Europe almost every year since 2002 and have never had a bike messed with - both with rentals and my own US-plated bikes. But then I avoid cities, if at all possible.
  10. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never had a problem. Always put a disc-lock on, and work on the theory that a K1600gtl with the alarm set won't get lifted into the back of a van, because if they do, they deserve a medal!!! Oh, and park sensible.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  11. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's pretty ripe coming from a SoCal resident! Hahahaha

Seriously, I'm amazed that this is even a part of your thought process. I've been everywhere in Europe and never once worried or had a problem, and that would include Italy (I usually park on the sidewalk in front of the hotel, and yes, I know stealing is the national sport in Italy!) and Dagestan. Its a total non-issue. Free your mind and book your hotel based on what you want to get out of the location that night.

I use a disc lock, a high-decible cheapo motion alarm from Ebay and a bike cover. Seems to do the trick :)
  12. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I make trips down to southern France in the car for buying and bringing home wine. Probably have more value stacked in the back of the car than most people have on their bike. Possibly more than the bike too.
    It's pretty obvious what it is, hard to disguise multiple cases in an estate car, even under a blanket.
    Plenty of overnights in cities, towns and countryside. Never had a problem.
  13. kalikali

kalikali Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Do a quick search for motorcycle theft in Europe and see what you come up with. I have been cautioned by my motorcycle storage and some locals about theft. On my first trip , I had my Harley keyed twice within the first week, once in the Germany and in Italy. Now I park away from where people commonly walk and it is always covered at night. You might want to read this article:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...eft-epidemic-one-brand-stands-among-rest/amp/

Glad to hear many riders have not had issues in the past. I think I will stick to my old routine of staying near the outskirts/airport areas, hotels are usually more modern, less expensive and parking isn't generally much an issue.
  14. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Then again, I might not, as it's behind a paywall.

The last bike that I kept in Europe was a 14 year old VStrom with about 100K miles on it. Not high on the potential theft list.
  15. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem in Europe so far. Also I'm cautious.
  16. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have thought these were of a higher probability for crime than where most of the rest of us are talking about.
    Unless I have a real need, I don't stop (or even rarely visit cities). Especially those big enough to have an airport).
    MichaelJ likes this.
  17. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    You have AIRPORTS and you have airports. Extra points if you know where this one is.

[​IMG]
  18. Herman1

Herman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OO OO jumps up and down with hand in air...… [​IMG]DSC01365 by herman munster, on Flickr As to the OP avoid city centres but a very cheap rape alarm cable tied to a moving part is one of the best deterrents . I too have never had a problem but I would not leave a bike say in central Edinborough or Naples.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  19. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Edinburgh is bike theft central,( i live just outside but work in Edinburgh) it's grim the amount of bikes that are stolen.
  20. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Yeah - what's that all about with bike thefts in the UK? We have them here (USofA), but not nearly as much as there - at least so it seems. It's more the exception.

I read "Bike" occasionally and am gobsmacked by the amount of ads for locks and such in the magazine.

Just took a short break and looked through the latest edition of "Rider" magazine for security devices. Nada. Zip. Nothing.
    mountaincadre likes this.