Tips needed for hotel room in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by kalikali, Sep 21, 2019.

1. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a two fold problem Michael, we have organised bike thefts which involves bikes mostly being stolen for shipment to eastern Europe and secondly we have our generic bike thieves who are actually worse,( these tend to be the ones stealing tourists bikes) unfortunately a lot of the bike tourists are either unaware of just how bad it is or think it CAN'T be that bad, it is, there are some very simple things visitors can do to protect themselves but wether the advise isn't getting through or like I say they think it won't happen to them ? As a biker myself u totally understand the heartbreak it causes but let me be frank,we are VERY harsh with them wherever we find them, the police know and actually tell them,(thieves) what will happen to them if bikers get there hands on them, there is only about 15-20 hard core thieves in the city but they cause massive problems, i would advise anyone visiting the city to contact a biker FROM the city if they can as they will give them the information they need to stay safe.
  2. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    Find a hotel you like the look of with an acceptable price on booking.com. Google the name of the hotel to find an external website of facebook page (not a big fan of fb but it does have some uses) then phone them direct to ask about secure parking. As a bonus see what price they offer for a direct booking, you might be pleasantly surprised. If the price on booking.com or other third party website is actually cheaper then go with that.
  3. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on that. When I do this, I tell them that I am looking at their hotel on booking.com (or similar). Quite often I get a better rate. I save money and they make more than if I had used booking.com. Everybody wins. Rare, that.
    Johann likes this.
  4. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    When somebody asks about bike theft in Europe I normally use the line about crime being low outside cities and fear of theft is exaggerated but unfortunately the UK is definitely an exception. The risk in cities is obviously higher and varies around the country. The best advice I was given was to use multiple locks, anything can be broken but the time factor is multiplied even with cheap disc locks/u locks, making it an unattractive proposition. Locking to street furniture or bars in dedicated parking bays in city centres is worthwhile as well, campaigners like MAG have caused a lot of safer bike parking to be introduced. I used to put a switch on the LV to one of the coils as extra insurance. Having a bike datatagged is another good option. Living in a city in the UK I simply wouldn´t want to own a high value bike, an older mechanically sound bike that is a bit cosmetically challenged is a lot more practical in that there is less chance of it disappearing.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  5. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    My kind of bike! :D

Running gear in tip-top shape, cosmetics - not so much.
    Johann likes this.
  6. kalikali

kalikali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has never worked out for me, from what I was told if you have a USA registered account the rates are cheaper than if you have a Europe based account. I was in Pisa trying to negotiate a rate and they pulled up the Expedia site on their computer which was higher than on my phone. Each time I tried to go direct with hotels it is always a loosing proposition and a PIA. It is cheaper and much easier just to book on line even to renew when staying a few extra days. I would check multiple platforms as well. I have seen 20% difference in pricing from hotels.com and expedia.com on several occasions even though it is the same owner. On top of that i have gold Expedia status (something to that effect) and have been given some major upgrades when I travel to the hotels which I am 100% sure I would not have received on my own. So absolutley no benefit for going direct to the hotel.
  7. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    I wanted to make an app for us moto travelers that is similar to iOverlander or tent space but basically just points out safe moto parking. It can be based on google maps, community based (like iOverlander) and let's moto travelers know where you get a hotel/room that has parking in a gated area, garage, entry way, yard or security, etc. If you find a place, you drop a pin with a note. We also switch between camping and hostels/cheaper hotels and I spend too much time searching for places that have parking. For instance we have traveled Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia and Turkey this summer/fall. Most days we make the plan the day before if that so it can take a lot of time to look for a room in Sibiu, Istanbul or Belgrade. I'm never worried if we are camping or in smaller towns/areas. I first check iOverlander app for any places marked, then check to see if they have parking, then check booking.com pics to see if there is room to park because we moto people don't need street parking but a walkway or yard will work. This backfired in Turkey these last 3 weeks as booking.com doesn't work there . Bunk-a-biker is popular in Turkey, Scandinavia, and England. Tent space not so much, we only had 5 people stay at our place in Slovenia this summer. Ok, getting off topic here. And since I have no desire/time/ability to make this app, someone should be able to rather easily and please make it free, I'm sure some people will donate a few $ (I do for iOverlander and will soon be a "supporter" of this site). I HATE that Park For Night app is $10 for the offline version, fuck that, it's not like the developer found all the good camping places, the people did! My 2 cents
  8. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    True, but the developer DID make it possible, or at least much easier, for YOU to find them.
    jasiu and glitch_oz like this.
  9. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    That is true, but $10 for an app? I don't think I've ever spent that much on one! And I'm not saying everything should be free but since it is community driven/updated, they are for sure making a profit on that one. Personally I find iOverlander much more useful, especially in South America and Africa (and it's free). These apps take a lot of dedication from usually only a few people (who do it for free just like the TET app and even here at ADVrider). I honestly have no idea how much it costs to make an app, but let's say €3000 if you have a friend who can do it. And you charge €1 or even half that, I'd like to think that a majority of moto travelers would find that useful enough to buy? (And maybe cover your costs after a few years + server hosting) Or maybe not, who knows, I have a winter project now! Sure is cold in Serbia today!