Tips / Tricks for making reservations on the road

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PineyMountainRacing, Oct 7, 2020.

1. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Well, I ended up at an Econolodge in Tupelo. I had been researching, spending way too much time making notes, for everything between Montgomery and Tuscaloosa for my first nite on the road and I pulled into Tuscaloosa mid afternoon, and thought it was really dumb to go sit in a motel when the weather was perfect for riding, of course I pulled into Tupelo around sunset, lots of traffic and tired after 750 miles. I looked at a couple motels but drove past, the Econo was 60 + tax, off the beaten path and quiet, I asked the manager if he had a first floor room where I could park my bike right outside, he did in back and then I asked if I should do the reservation in one of the apps or just pay him, he said he’d give me the same rate as the app. So I’ve had a hot shower, the AC is cranked down and I’m looking forward to another day on the road.

Tomorrow I should make my friends house in SW Missouri easily and spend a couple days with him fishing. Probably stay with him. When I head west from there I’ll probably reserve a motel around lunch time for that evening. But if I’m going onto CO and UT I’ll probably reserve a room further in advance since I’ll use it as a hub for my riding, not just a one nite stand. I’ll check in tomorrow if I make it thru the nite in Tupelo :lol3
    klaviator, Donkey Hotey and Oilleaker like this.
  2. Oilleaker

Oilleaker Ne’er do well tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If youre looking in western colorado Montrose and Grand Junction had a lot of reasonable options. Stay away from Ouray and Telluride
    PineyMountainRacing and wbbnm like this.
  3. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Reservations are gods little message that you have lost your freedom.
    Donkey Hotey likes this.
  4. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Air B&Bs have become a HUGE problem here in Hawai'i, for exactly the reasons you've mentioned. Now with tourism essentially nonexistent here, these properties are empty and out of circulation for the locals. And the owners are clamoring for economic relief.

doc
    Strong Bad likes this.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope they don’t get any aid. They got greedy and put themselves into that bind by choosing for the business model of unfettered so-called freedom to run around existing regulations that bona fide hotels must adhere to ( taxes , standards for health ,cleanliness, safety, liability)
    Another aspect is the unsuspecting property owners who through ABB rent out their house or apartment once and come to discover that a bunch of total idiots staged a big drinking and drugs gathering there and left the place completely wrecked, ruined and filthy ; so much for making money .
    “ Uber” ride sharing and its copies , use a similar business model and in some jurisdictions they have even managed to get some form of official approval by lobbying politicos . Anybody can try signing up to be an Uber driver to earn some underground income.Those ride sharers frequently have unsafe drivers who have had no background checks done for licensing status or criminal history . They ignore the rules by which licensed taxi companies are required to operate by and if ride sharing for pay and they have only their standard car insurance it will be illegal for them to carry paying passengers . They put the consumers at risk and deny genuine taxi drivers their job income .
  6. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Had a good nites sleep in Tupelo. Motel was quiet all nite. The online rate was 66 all in, the manager said he’d give the the “online rate” which was 62 all in, I was using Travelocity, must be cheaper on different sites. For 60 bucks I’d stay there again.

I’ve never looked at Airbnb until this trip, I noticed that some stays include local taxes in their “fee” and some don’t. Also in some of the bigger cities I found Airbnb listings for rooms / suites at established motels and hotels, don’t know what the benefit is for a regular business to list that way. Then there is a huge variation in services, some are just for a private room in the homeowners house (or at least they describe it that way) and the owners live there at the same time. Some of the owners are available and seem to enjoy interacting with their guests, especially in “destination” locations (for example Airbnb’s I’m looking at in CO) even to the point of going hiking, jeeping, etc, with you. Then there are the houses that are vacant and you stay there alone or maybe even with others who are lodging there the same night. Those are being run more like a commercial motel.

As far as renting to sketchy people, I think the reviews would help weed out the people who are “looking for quiet neighborhood to cook meth” or want to set up a hub for human trafficking. And not all will do long term rentals. I’m sure in the bigger areas there could be issues if the owner is absent and I can see where houses can be bought up and put into the Airbnb stockpile, thus removing them from the market and driving up prices for normal home buyers. IDK the rules for renting residential real estate, and I’m sure they vary from area to area, same with tax consequences, etc.

IDK either how it works as far as compliance inspections for safety and health issues at regular hotels, but in my area anyway, no inspections are done on long term non Airbnb residential rentals so renters are pretty much on their own. No different than Airbnb is think.

I have used Uber a dozen times or so. I have also used commercial taxis. I’m probably risking my life either way. The Uber rides have always been in locations where there are no taxis, the vehicles are clean, I like the app that lets you see where the driver is and where he’s at as he’s coming to get you. All my drivers have been careful and attentive. The last Uber ride was a young guy who was a charter boat captain, he and GF lived in the boat, he did Uber when he wasn’t on the boat. His GF did Uber as a full time job. Seemed like a good opportunity for them, and worked well for me. But I’m sure it’s not an even playing field compared to regular cab drivers. I understand the risk when I get into their car same and I admit I don’t know al the regulatory / insurance stuff, but sometimes “walking” isn’t an option :lol3
  7. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also refuse to use AirB&B for the same reasons. The whole-house rentals certainly have a negative impact on the locals here who actually need an affordable place to rent or own. And given we've got the Tent Space thread, there's no real reason to use it even for room-only rentals. The Tent Space is full of good-hearted folks that have the extra space to offer, and are just as likely to give advice on local activities and insight to some good riding routes to boot. Heck, some even have tools/equipment around to help you work on the bike if needed.
  8. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I’ve used the tent space thread - it’s an awesome resource. I just thought in the Days of COVID I didn’t want to impose on any inmates, and I really didn’t want to carry all my camping gear this trip thus the motel discussion
  9. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    thanks, I’ll look at Montrose and GJ, I was only talking about Salida since it’s close to some of the tracks I want to ride, and being a town if the weather wasn’t conducive to riding one day there might be more stuff to do (beside drinking beer, not that that’s a bad thing to do).
  10. Oilleaker

Oilleaker Ne’er do well tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wasn’t looking while I was down by Durango but probably lots of options there too. Grand Junction is decently sized. Ouray looked like a nice spot to stop for a bit, but rooms were $200 or better everywhere. Think I was at the travellodge in Junction for $40 after taxes
  11. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    sweet, I may spend a few days in Salida, then bust over to Junction for a couple days before heading to Moab or wherever I’m heading next :lol3 Ouray will probably be a “day trip”
    Oilleaker likes this.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have stayed at the Best Western South in Durango a few times. I think it was medium priced and had a restaurant right next door.
    One really nice feature was that we didn't have to deal with Durango main drag traffic. We came in and exited town on 160.
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  13. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    well so far I’m 4500 miles on the road, back at my place in western NC. 8 nites in motels (counting the 3 nites I spent in Salida) and 5 nites with friends and family. didn’t get to keep pushing west because of the weather, but at least I got a few nice days in CO. and I’ve still got a couple weeks to ride

all of the motels were reserved after I pulled up, except for the 3 nites I spent in Salida, that one I went ahead and reserved on Travelocity when I stopped in Pueblo. It had been a long cold windy ride, it was going to be late when I arrived so I just wanted to confirm a place - it worked out pretty well.

usually I just stopped late afternoon when I had an idea where I wanted to stop, looked at the Travelocity app and picked a couple. I filtered by price, then looked at reviews (although many didn’t have anything more recent than July - maybe because of Covid?) and pics (mainly parking situation). Covid did make it harder, since most of the places I would normally pull off and grab a coffee or soda were closed to indoor seating, and I don’t think I had a day when it wasn’t windy, colder than a bitch or raining so I was stuck researching motels in the 7-11 parking lots. A couple times I got away with standing in the corner of a convenience store with my notes spread out on cases of Mountain Dew, just to get out of the weather while I had a drink and checked motels.

I was always looking for a room on the first floor, and one that I could park the bike right in front of my door / window. A couple times I did a drive by, thought it was a little sketchy and went to motel numero 2. The motel would almost always match the Internet price, a couple times the price they gave me was lower then Travelocity.
    One guy in KS was $5 higher than Internet but when I got to the room it was actually a huge room with a King bed and like 20 pillows, and everything was new and clean. I coulda stayed there a week.

Tupelo / $62
    Dodge City / $60
    Salida / $225 for 3 nites
    Ulysses KS / $45
    Coffeyville, KS / $70
    Bowling Green / $62

the last nite was tho only one I got stuck and stopped too late. I was coming out of NE Missouri and trying to get as close to TN as I could. Rain was forecast for Indiana and northern KY and I didn’t want to wake up and pack the bike in the rain that next morning. I was dying so I pulled off between Owensboro and BG but couldn’t find anything on the app. So back on the road and made it to BG without any drama. Saw an empty Waffle House and went in to eat and there were dozens of motels right there at that exit, found one with good reviews and they were all basically the same price.

after a few nites on the road, I got over my motel anxiety, and if it hadn’t been for the crappy weather and Covid, it would have been a piece of cake :lol3
    Oilleaker, wbbnm and tlub like this.