Tire change near Fairbanks?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by lfmn, May 2, 2016.

1. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big_John, why does this put you in a huge bind?

And, I could see Dan getting upset from some unwanted promotion of him and his business.
  2. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    Tourists frequently forget that most of us are not part of the tour.
    akgsa and MtnRider like this.
  3. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

Because I was counting on this plan. I was counting on Dan to do good business.

I'm sure Dan isn't a bad guy....maybe just had a bad day. But I was the target. Others can flip the coin and take your chances.

WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah he must have a lot of costumers.........because he runs a lot off. That will work for a while, but not forever. I found someone else to mount my tires and take my money when he didn't want it.
  5. AKTREADs

AKTREADs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big_John,
    Ugly e-mail- -

John,
    WTF !
    Are you asking for permission or forgiveness?
    I don't CLICK on trivial BS.

I will refund your tire purchase thru PayPal's secure server.
    Seek services thru Trails End BMW, Karen Way,Fbks,AK.

Have a good.....BLOGSPOT!
    Dan
  6. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Like I said....pretty innocent on my part. Just trying to give a guy a "shout out" and some more exposure for his business. Dan's business is a great story and I wanted it to be a part of my adventure. Sometimes being nice, completely backfires. But like I said, I'm not slandering Dan, as everyone has a bad day. I just wish he would have accepted my apology and allowed me to pay for tires and service.

By the way, I received a very nice note from Trails End BMW, completely unsolicited, offering their services. If I had not already made arrangements, I would do business with these guys.

Also..... There is Thompson Claw Campground....as they have said, "Folks send up tires all the time..I will hold in the work shop till you get here...some guys change them here...manual tire changer and portable air compressor are in the workshop." They have a workshop with tools and tire changer stuff.. Wow, how cool!

So....there appears to be some great options in Fairbanks, from a full service shop to "do it yourself".

Leaving for Alaska today.

John

[​IMG]

7. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have some tire irons, bucket of suds, milk crate, air compressor right on the paved road through Homer.
    If you are far from home, need to change tires, light maintenance, PM, or stop by.
    Tend to get scarce weekends, call first midweek.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  8. banjobart

banjobart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I look forward to my tires changes with Dan in Fairbanks. I enjoy his company as I agree with him on most everything, even bike brands.
    dirtdoug, Cal and zoomcarve like this.
  9. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, there is no law against being a dick.

On to my ignore list you go.
  10. banjobart

banjobart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...Bite me, thanks, the same for me and you both. I like Dan and anyone who does not needs their thoughts put into proper perspective. It's not the lower 48 where losers get a ribbon for participation. It's instead the real world of taxpayers and workers. NRA all the way? The cool belt buckle? I do not know what got our panties in a bunch, please explain your dissatisfaction with Dan's exemplary service. Maybe you should change your own tires next trip? Respectfully and Sincerely, Bart.
    akgsa likes this.
  11. SEWERMAN

SEWERMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread is more entertaining than watching Trump and Hilary go at it...
    dirtdoug likes this.
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha...I see Go Daddy has the "dickmeasuring.com" domain available....maybe Baldy could add that as an interactive thread for those that need to measure dicks....
  13. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I called ahead, and Dan said come on up. Oil changes on two bikes and a rear tire on one, and with friendly, informative conversation about riding the Dalton. He was a really good tech with fair prices. Can't beat his hours. I left the Harley home and rode the Beemer.
  14. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would have had quite a different experience on the Harley. I don't think anyone questioned his mechanical adequacy.

Frankly, I don't even question his unwillingness to work on bikes he doesn't like. It's a free country and I don't want someone working on my bike that doesn't want to. There's no law that says you have to work on every conceivable model of bike even if you are an independent. All I said is that he didn't need to be a dick about it. It's business 101 - don't alienate a customer or potential customer. A simple, "thanks for the inquiry, but I don't work on Harleys or cruisers" would suffice.

There is a limited window of time to make money working on bikes in Alaska. How stupid do you have to be to turn down business during that time??
  15. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    There is a limited window of time to make money working on bikes in Alaska. How stupid do you have to be to turn down business during that time??[/QUOTE]

SAYS A GUY FROM WV!
  16. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SAYS A GUY THAT KEEPS HIS CAP LOCKS ON.

Sound business practices don't change from state to state dumbass. Maybe you should think about that next time you say, "supersize it sir?"
  17. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    How is this prick??? you have no idea of what you speak...stay in wv so the rest of us can enjoy our rides to the nort' country!!!
  18. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    yep, typical pissing match starting....
  19. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. :lurk

Years ago, just before construction of the pipeline started IIRC, it seemed like every other vehicle bumper had a sticker that read "WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN HOW THEY DO IT OUTSIDE". Where is one of those when you need it? :lol3
    akgsa and Solarmoose like this.
  20. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prior to heading to Alaska in June, I called Dan to order a couple of rear Michelin Wilds for me and my wing man. Dan couldn't have been more helpful. He ordered the tires for us and, when we showed up at his place the morning of July 13th, he had the tires and went right to work on our machines. We found him to be quite informative about riding in Alaska and enjoyed the conversation. Now, his dog didn't seem to care to participate and made it quite clear he'd rather chase something . . . . anything you'd care to throw. We did as his dog wished and all was well. Finally, Dan tossed something down the bank and the dog promptly disappeared. Dan said, "That'll keep 'er busy for a while." We enjoyed ourselves that morning and, Dan, if you're reading this, we made it back to NC and GA respectively on those Wilds you installed. Thanks for the more-than-fair prices, storing the tires and installing them.

Mike
    Charleetho and zoomcarve like this.