Tire change near Fairbanks?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by lfmn, May 2, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahaha yep...seems there are people who don't even live in AK that troll the AK forums like they are God's Gift if you know what I mean :lol3
    keith in alaska and akgsa like this.
  2. Ak Katoom

Ak Katoom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last summer I had our local bemmer shop (Outpost) just do a balance on my Kaw ZX-14 rear tire after other shop in town here messed it up. Was charged $25 for them to do it wrong again and an additional $5 charge for tire weights that they never put on the tire. Not happy as you can guess. When it came time to change out my front tire on my big Green machine I brought it up to Dan as by the time I would have bought stands and special front axle tool it would have been a major cash outlay. Plus dealing with other shops here was not an option as they could care less about the tire actually being in balance.
    Dan was professional and the job was done right, balance was perfect on the tire. Nothing but good things to say about Dan and he will get my business on every tire change on the Kaw from here on out. In fact will be headed there asap as my rear is toast.
    Or maybe could get some more miles out of this one this summer, you can ride on the steel belts right?? LOl.
    14716226_568637669998642_6862977408358727331_n.jpg
  3. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go fuck yourself douche bag.

Oops forum rules about respecting fellow members

Go fuck yourself MR. douche bag.
  4. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

LET ME 'SLAIN THIS DUMBASS WHERE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND IN WV........DUH WE DONUT CAIR ABOT YORE OPINUN!!!
  5. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys just reminded me . . . . I've got a family reunion coming up!:D

Mike
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    dirtdoug likes this.
  7. dirtdoug

dirtdoug Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million Dan...you saved my marriage.
    My wife and I left our house in Kasilof thinking I could stretch one more ride out of my shinko-705. We made it to Fairbanks but the rear tire was showing threads in one spot and when I told my wife I needed at least a new rear tire, even though I had a brand new one at home, she wasn't to happy.....Dan found and mounted a perfect used rear that would get us home and at a fraction of the cost if a new tire.
    Can't say enough nice things about Fairbanks Adventure Cycleworks
    Charleetho, zoodio and mikegc like this.
  8. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good for Dan! My wing man and I stopped by Adventure Cycleworks prior to heading up the Dalton for new TKC 70s. Upon our return, we saw our front tires were cupped badly so we called Dan. "Sure I have fronts for the water-heads. C'mon over." The next morning, we were there at 8:00 AM and rolling an hour and a half later. While there, Zena demanded attention as toy hiding/tossing was heavily on her mind. We played with her for a while but, when she became a bit too demanding, Mrs. Armstrong wasn't happy and asked her to come inside. She got the proverbial "hang-dog" look and complied. Come to think of it, Dan kinda straightened up, too!:D

Thank you, Dan, for the great prices/service again this year. We look forward to doing business with you next year.

Mike
  9. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    I have been at Dan's twice. In 2013 and this summer of 2017. Both times, I shipped tires to him to be installed later. I was on a 2013 Ducati Multi in 13 and a new Ducati Enduro this year. Dan was awesome both times. One of the things that I like about him is that he does not rush a service job just to get to the next. The job is done when it's done! Dan gave me quite a few tips on places to go and things not to miss. His advice really helped me get the most of my time in Alaska. All of the little extras that he does while you are there really impressed me. Things like cleaning fork seals and servicing your chain and really making sure that your ride is ready for what's ahead.
    In 2013, I must have caught him on a slower day (rare i'm sure) because when I mentioned that I had been riding for 16 hours that day before getting to him, he invited me in and fired up his grill. We had some great grub and great conversation about Alaska, bikes and such.
    This year after my tire change, he let me store gear there while making my run up to Prudhoe and back.
    When returning, he let me power wash my radiators and gave my ride a quick check to continue on with my adventure.
    Dan has some very strong opinions as I do about bikes, people and life in general. I found him very refreshing from the same old boring fake people that i have to work with every day.
    Thanks Dan! Many more years of servicing the adventure community!

Dan putting some fresh TKC 80's on my Duc.
    20170617_191736.jpg
    dirtdoug, Bigbob1, JBird and 4 others like this.
  10. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I have nothing but good thing to say about Dan.. yes his opinion is strong but he is honest and I admire that.. I highly recommend his service to anyone that has a bike he will service..
    dirtdoug, Bigbob1 and duckman44 like this.
  11. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I want to like this post 1000 times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
  12. banjobart

banjobart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan is the man!
    dirtdoug likes this.
  13. banjobart

banjobart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My last trip to AK, 2016, I partnered with a HD rider, a friend of a friend...BIG mistake. The guy should have brought his mom along to comfort him. He called his wife five times a day and talked for hours every day while ignoring his riding buddies. Never again would I ride with a HD rider on a long trip. I once owned a HD and was never a momma's boy. No more blind dates for me, I understand Dan's perspective. This year, 2018, I ride to AK with the Yamaha guys. I look forward to a tire change with Dan.
  14. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    I had to laugh out loud reading this. I had the exact same experience with a "Friend" Harley guy riding from NY to California and back.
    Was on the phone with his wife the entire trip. I sat in the campgrounds alone drinking beer. This is exactly why I ride alone or with like minded riders.:photog Two trips to Alaska alone. Fantastic rides.
  15. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    In 2015 I rode to Alaska and needed an oil change on my bmw gsa. My riding buddy needed an oil change and rear tire on his V-Strom. Dan took care of both bikes and shared some of his experiences from riding the Dalton Highway. He doesn't work on Harleys and prefers not to work on Hondas. I've never seen a Harley shop work on other brands unless they're selling more than Harleys at that location. Same for Honda, Yamaha, etc. My local BMW shop is actually a Harley shop too. But they separate the two brands in the service area and sales floor. Dan did professional work and was entertaining as well.

bill
    dirtdoug, mikegc and duckman44 like this.
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Passing thru Whitehorse headed home to Fairbanks we encountered three guys, all on Goldwing Trikes. One Trike had two guys on it. The extra guy was also riding a trike, but it was broken. He said the Honda dealer in Whitehorse said they would not help him because the part that broke was from an aftermarket trike conversion kit, not a Honda part. He also said the Whitehorse Harley shop agreed to track down the part and fix the trike. The part had been ordered and was on its way from Tennessee. Harley dealers are not all spawn of the Devil.